Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Samsung 49 Inch UE49RU7300KXXU Smart 4K HDR LED TV 920/3592

• 02-11-2019 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Samsung 49 Inch UE49RU7300KXXU Smart 4K HDR LED TV
    920/3592

550 Argos, any advice welcome?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭DopeTech

as.eirinn wrote: »
    Samsung 49 Inch UE49RU7300KXXU Smart 4K HDR LED TV
    920/3592

550 Argos, any advice welcome?

Overpriced.

This isn't bad value but I'm sure there's even better out there.

https://powercity.ie/product/50UM7450

• Registered Users Posts: 51,098 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This is the slightly newer 50" panel version from richersounds.ie for €541 including a 6 year warranty:
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-203959-samsung-ue50ru7400-50-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-led-tv-tvplus.aspx

Or if you are open to looking at other brands then my father bought this recently and it's very impressive for the money:
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-204066-lg-50um7500pla-50-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-led-tv-freeview-play.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

The tv in the op is curved, I assume that is what is what they are looking for. Its not a gimick that ever really took off.

Tbh, you'd be better going with a flat panel, this years models and preferably with dolby vision if budget allows.

Here is one Im keeping an eye on.

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-projectors/panasonic-tvs/panasonic-tx50gx800b.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Really depends on what you will be pumping into it, high bit depth/HDR/dolby vision etc are wasted features if you will not be supplying these feeds to the TV and at 49" depending on your viewing distance could be a waste anyhow.
    The one Kolido links to is nice but those panels are not 10bit (they are 8bit plus some messing around in the background to allow them to advertise as 10bit) so a massive drop in colour range which is the primary reason for HDR. To take advantage of proper HDR a TV needs to be very bright also and that TV is only 500nits which is SDR range, proper HDR should be 1000nits +
    A Dolby Vision panel at 10bit is still a massive compromise as Dolby Vision is 12bit.

All the jargon is unfortunate, it's the way TV marketing has gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

That was £360 over here two weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 51,098 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Are people still buying curved tvs? I thought that fad went out with 3d?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I bought a 50" Android Smart TV from Germany for €226 + €30 delivery a few weeks ago. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Suckit wrote:
    I bought a 50" Android Smart TV from Germany for €226 + €30 delivery a few weeks ago.

4k, what brand?

tedpan wrote: »
    4k, what brand?
    JTC - Uses Samsung Panel. I'll try and get the image. It was on sale.

Edited:
    https://i.imgur.com/K8DIidl.jpg?1
    This was the original link - https://www.norma24.de/jtc-4k-led-smart-tv-galaxis-5.0-n

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭sue97

suckit could you share a link please

sue97 wrote: »
    suckit could you share a link please

That's it in the post above. Not on sale anymore.

There are TV's less than €350 (not all smart) available online from Europe if you look around, without 3rd party delivery. I have seen more on other Amazons and other online stores.
    I also got this for €324 delivered last week, Ordered on 7th, so it took longer than expected. Requires external sound, but the TV itself is decent.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

It's €269 here. Not sure if they ship to Ireland though..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Homelander

I wouldn't be overly happy buying those TV's from mainland Europe. Regardless of the panel used, they are poor quality sets in general and far more likely to fail than better built models. Which is fine because you get what you pay for, but you can get very cheap brand 4K TV's here for not a huge amount more, and if something goes wrong you can easily return it.

Curry's for example have a 49" JVC 4K for €370 - that's just €70 in the difference when you factor in delivery. The JTC may have a better panel but it's far more of a headache if something goes wrong at any point. Especially if you're using parcel forwarding services to buy from sites that don't ship to Ireland, then you are effectively buying a 2nd hand TV as there's no realistic warranty.

Homelander wrote: »
    I wouldn't be overly happy buying those TV's from mainland Europe. Regardless of the panel used, they are poor quality sets in general and far more likely to fail than better built models. Which is fine because you get what you pay for, but you can get very cheap brand 4K TV's here for not a huge amount more, and if something goes wrong you can easily return it.

Curry's for example have a 49" JVC 4K for €370 - that's just €70 in the difference when you factor in delivery. The JTC may have a better panel but it's far more of a headache if something goes wrong at any point. Especially if you're using parcel forwarding services to buy from sites that don't ship to Ireland, then you are effectively buying a 2nd hand TV as there's no realistic warranty.

If they develop a fault under warranty then the seller has to pay for shipping within the EU. I'll not hold my breath for them to develop a fault though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Homelander

If they don't ship to your country in the first place, I'm not sure that is true?

Also, once the item is in the care of the mail forwarding service, the retailer has no obligations either. So if it gets damaged, lost, or otherwise, the issue is between you and the courier, not the retailer.

My point is, for the sake of €70 I would personally rather avoid all that hassle, that's all.

Homelander wrote: »
    If they don't ship to your country in the first place, I'm not sure that is true?

Also, once the item is in the care of the mail forwarding service, the retailer has no obligations either. So if it gets damaged, lost, or otherwise, the issue is between you and the courier, not the retailer.

My point is, for the sake of €70 I would personally rather avoid all that hassle, that's all.

When you buy from a store online or other, the receipt is what matters.
    If I buy in Spain and move to France under Warranty and it develops a fault, the store has to pay for repair or return.
    The same applies if I buy while I am on holiday and bring it back with me.
    All once it happens within the EU.

I am not recommending anyone buy using that method, It could work out saving you a lot of money, less likely to end up costing you a lot of money. They are all covered under the same EU warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

You’d be crazy to spend any big money on anything in winter and not wait for Black Friday / Cyber Monday deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭jack in the box

Got a 50 inch Samsung UHD SMART TV for €343 two weeks ago(20% discount code applied)

https://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/samsung-ue50ru7020kxxu-50-inch-hdr-smart-4k-tv-with-apple-tv-app/1600405399.prd

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

bazz26 wrote: »
    This is the slightly newer 50" panel version from richersounds.ie for €541 including a 6 year warranty:
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-203959-samsung-ue50ru7400-50-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-led-tv-tvplus.aspx

Or if you are open to looking at other brands then my father bought this recently and it's very impressive for the money:
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-204066-lg-50um7500pla-50-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-led-tv-freeview-play.aspx

The 50" is guaranteed to be a VA panel, nobody makes 50" 60Hz IPS panels. Unfortunately Samsung is not renowned for consistency in the lower end of the market and 49" might be either IPS or VA, whatever they had in stock. Secondly, RU7400 is a wide gamut TV, while RU7300 is not. The RU7300 is a curved TV - which is a gimmick and unless you sit very close to the TV, it actually makes the experience worse than better. RU7400 has a better stand as well that allows a bit of cable management.

Overall, UE50RU7400 is a poor TV (low SDR brightness, abysmal HDR brightness, lack of 100/120Hz panel, 24p Judder issues, woful sound etc.), but taking all things into consideration: experience of the OS, ease of use, minimalistic remote etc. - it's a great value proposition. RU7300 is not as good.

LG approach to software design processes brings only one thing to mind: incompetent monkeys. That's enough to avoid LG at all cost. On top of that their low and mid range TVs are all IPS, which for majority of people is an inferior option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

@ Grogi - have you got a “go to” TV for budget, mid and high range price bracket?

Would seem the technical know-how you have might rule out 99% of the TVs out there? So difficult to see screen quality in the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brandonviewer

BBMcQ wrote: »
    @ Grogi - have you got a “go to” TV for budget, mid and high range price bracket?

Would seem the technical know-how you have might rule out 99% of the TVs out there? So difficult to see screen quality in the shops.

I had the same question. I'm looking at the Samsung 43ru 7100 for about €420 or the 43ru 7200 for €380. Any thoughts??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

grogi wrote: »
    The 50" is guaranteed to be a VA panel, nobody makes 50" 60Hz IPS panels. Unfortunately Samsung is not renowned for consistency in the lower end of the market and 49" might be either IPS or VA, whatever they had in stock. Secondly, RU7400 is a wide gamut TV, while RU7300 is not. The RU7300 is a curved TV - which is a gimmick and unless you sit very close to the TV, it actually makes the experience worse than better. RU7400 has a better stand as well that allows a bit of cable management.

Overall, UE50RU7400 is a poor TV (low SDR brightness, abysmal HDR brightness, lack of 100/120Hz panel, 24p Judder issues, woful sound etc.), but taking all things into consideration: experience of the OS, ease of use, minimalistic remote etc. - it's a great value proposition. RU7300 is not as good.

LG approach to software design processes brings only one thing to mind: incompetent monkeys. That's enough to avoid LG at all cost. On top of that their low and mid range TVs are all IPS, which for majority of people is an inferior option.
    :o I just bought this tv https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-204086-lg-55um7400plb-55-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-led-tv-freeview-play.aspx I don't understand all the tv jargon so don't know if it's good or not but all I know is its' better than the one we had.

:o I just bought this tv https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-204086-lg-55um7400plb-55-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-led-tv-freeview-play.aspx I don't understand all the tv jargon so don't know if it's good or not but all I know is its' better than the one we had.

For High-End TVs, there are only one option: Panasonic OLEDs.
    For lower-high-end you can go and get cheapest LG OLED - B8 or B9. But with those two (any any other OLED bar Panasonic) you probably will experience something called chrominance overshoot (wrongly BTW - as it is not chrominance, but luminannce that is overshot) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjObx--Oq8g). Depending on your sensitivity, you might not notice it or it might be super-annoying.
    I would get a Samsung QLED only if I intended the TV for long gaming sessions.

Outside of OLED territory, there isn't that much difference between TV. Some models are brighter a bit, but most of the time it is marketing trying to push more expensive models onto people. Philips have an edge with the Ambilight technology, which really changes the perception - and with it, the IPS poor blacks don't annoy that much. AndroidTV guarantees that the smart platform will be usable longer than any other choise out there. 55PUS7394 seems like a good deal from RicherSounds right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 toshiba01

Is the 55SM9010PLA from LG worth considering?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,470 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

BBMcQ wrote: »
    You’d be crazy to spend any big money on anything in winter and not wait for Black Friday / Cyber Monday deals.

For anyone who bought TV's in previous years, do you think it would be best waiting for black Friday or new years sales? I'm looking to buy a 4k tv by February, trying to figure out when I'll get the best deal. Sony 49" XG900 preferably.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

In the last 2-3 years, there hasn't been any better value except for Amazon own brand electronics and some odd items. I remember 2011-2014,you could pick up rakes of bargains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

Got a 50 inch Samsung UHD SMART TV for €343 two weeks ago(20% discount code applied)

https://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/samsung-ue50ru7020kxxu-50-inch-hdr-smart-4k-tv-with-apple-tv-app/1600405399.prd

Hello Jack May I ask what you think of the TV? I am looking at a smaller size of the same model and the one that says 2019 but am unsure which to go for.

I have someone in the house with special needs who uses Alexa and the google mini for chrome cast but was hoping this Samsung would have more functionality than the chrome cast which is limited.

I would appreciate your experience thank you.

Hello Jack May I ask what you think of the TV? I am looking at a smaller size of the same model and the one that says 2019 but am unsure which to go for.

I have someone in the house with special needs who uses Alexa and the google mini for chrome cast but was hoping this Samsung would have more functionality than the chrome cast which is limited.

I would appreciate your experience thank you.

I have written that many times - with some brands in the low to mid range, the different sizes might have completely different picture quality, as they don't use same type of panel. Last year, that was the case with all NU7xxx TVs, Xf85 range from Sony and some LG models... Insane...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

494361.jpg

Seen this in Tesco Killarney a few days ago, no idea if its good value or how good the Sharps are these days

Advertisement