Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

31-10-2019, 09:51   #16
mdebets

It looks like the OP is a licensee of the son, who seems to be the tenant of his father. So doesn't have the OP the right, to request beeing made a a proper part 4 tenant?
Advertisement
31-10-2019, 09:55   #17
Fian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdebets View Post
It looks like the OP is a licensee of the son, who seems to be the tenant of his father. So doesn't have the OP the right, to request beeing made a a proper part 4 tenant?
The likely outcome of such a request is an immediate termination of his licence.
Thanks from:
31-10-2019, 10:01   #18
nox001

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdebets View Post
The son will be a licensee if his father also you can’t be a tenant of your parent.

This is all fairly clear compared to many of the licensee debates. Children are licensee of their parents regardless if the parent lives with them or not and anyone living with the son/daughter of an owner is automatically a licensee also.
31-10-2019, 10:29   #19
kceire

Quote:
Originally Posted by nox001 View Post
The son will be a licensee if his father also you can’t be a tenant of your parent.

This is all fairly clear compared to many of the licensee debates. Children are licensee of their parents regardless if the parent lives with them or not and anyone living with the son/daughter of an owner is automatically a licensee also.
On a slightly different tangent.
How would tax liability work?

Let’s say I give my rental property to my 18 year old son to stay in while in college. And he lets out the spare rooms.

Does the 14k exemption kick in anywhere from the rent a room?
Would I be liable for any tax if a mortgage is still being paid?
31-10-2019, 11:40   #20
nox001

Quote:
Originally Posted by kceire View Post
On a slightly different tangent.
How would tax liability work?

Let’s say I give my rental property to my 18 year old son to stay in while in college. And he lets out the spare rooms.

Does the 14k exemption kick in anywhere from the rent a room?
Would I be liable for any tax if a mortgage is still being paid?
Once your son keeps the money (officially anyway) then you would have no tax liability and he would have none either as it’s rent a room. Technically your son would have a CAT liability for free use of a house but in reality I would say no onc has ever actually considered a CAT liability in a scenario like this.

If he is in college actually there may not even be a CAT liability as it could be considered educational help.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion