Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
31-10-2019, 09:51   #16
mdebets
Registered User
 
mdebets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,583
It looks like the OP is a licensee of the son, who seems to be the tenant of his father. So doesn't have the OP the right, to request beeing made a a proper part 4 tenant?
mdebets is offline  
Advertisement
31-10-2019, 09:55   #17
Fian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdebets View Post
It looks like the OP is a licensee of the son, who seems to be the tenant of his father. So doesn't have the OP the right, to request beeing made a a proper part 4 tenant?
The likely outcome of such a request is an immediate termination of his licence.
Fian is offline  
Thanks from:
31-10-2019, 10:01   #18
nox001
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 21,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdebets View Post
It looks like the OP is a licensee of the son, who seems to be the tenant of his father. So doesn't have the OP the right, to request beeing made a a proper part 4 tenant?
The son will be a licensee if his father also you can’t be a tenant of your parent.

This is all fairly clear compared to many of the licensee debates. Children are licensee of their parents regardless if the parent lives with them or not and anyone living with the son/daughter of an owner is automatically a licensee also.
nox001 is offline  
31-10-2019, 10:29   #19
kceire
Moderator
 
kceire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 24,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by nox001 View Post
The son will be a licensee if his father also you can’t be a tenant of your parent.

This is all fairly clear compared to many of the licensee debates. Children are licensee of their parents regardless if the parent lives with them or not and anyone living with the son/daughter of an owner is automatically a licensee also.
On a slightly different tangent.
How would tax liability work?

Let’s say I give my rental property to my 18 year old son to stay in while in college. And he lets out the spare rooms.

Does the 14k exemption kick in anywhere from the rent a room?
Would I be liable for any tax if a mortgage is still being paid?
kceire is offline  
31-10-2019, 11:40   #20
nox001
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 21,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by kceire View Post
On a slightly different tangent.
How would tax liability work?

Let’s say I give my rental property to my 18 year old son to stay in while in college. And he lets out the spare rooms.

Does the 14k exemption kick in anywhere from the rent a room?
Would I be liable for any tax if a mortgage is still being paid?
Once your son keeps the money (officially anyway) then you would have no tax liability and he would have none either as it’s rent a room. Technically your son would have a CAT liability for free use of a house but in reality I would say no onc has ever actually considered a CAT liability in a scenario like this.

If he is in college actually there may not even be a CAT liability as it could be considered educational help.
nox001 is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet