Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drill repair

• 17-10-2020 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

Hi, have the below drill, bought it 18 months ago from screwfix. Using the hammer function and a chisel but to knock off some tiles, it just died out of nowhere. It didn’t overheat or anything and couldn’t see or smell any smoke.
    - are these fixable, or is there any point trying?
    Is there any simple fix to try (have swapped fuse).

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/makita-hr2470wx-2-3-3kg-electric-sds-plus-drill-240v/29604

Worked great for last year drilling concrete walls. Used it for a good few hours last Saturday doing more tiles and it was A1, but did get hot. But started grand again today, then out of nowhere just stopped.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Check the power supply, plug and cable, if these are ok check the brushes on the motor, definitely repairable

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,005 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd get on to screwfix. a drill like that should last longer than 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭con747

As Magic said, that should do a tradesman's amount of work for a few years at least.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,005 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if they give you some guff about a one year warranty, a good has to be of 'merchantable quality' i think; i.e. fit for the purpose for which it is sold, and should last what would be considered a reasonable length of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭bamayang

i'd get on to screwfix. a drill like that should last longer than 18 months.

Would there be any comeback outside the 12 months? Did a nice bit of work with it, but All diy light stuff.

• Advertisement

i don't know what their warranty is, but if you don't abuse it, you have a very reasonable expectation that a drill like that should last several years.

whatever they claim the warranty is, is trumped by the law.

Check the power supply, plug and cable, if these are ok check the brushes on the motor, definitely repairable

Am I better off avoiding doing any heavy investigating in case I have to send it back to them? Opening it could void any bit of a warranty they might cover?

bamayang wrote: »
    Am I better off avoiding doing any heavy investigating in case I have to send it back to them? Opening it could void any bit of a warranty they might cover?

Just send it back for repair/replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭con747

I just checked their warranty on the UK site. If you registered it after purchase it's 3 years if it is a fault. They do state any tampering will void any chance of a warranty. I would still look for a solution on the grounds it was not fit for purpose which is your consumer rights.
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer/shopping/repairs_replacements_and_refunds.htm

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

con747 wrote: »
    I just checked their warranty on the UK site. If you registered it after purchase it's 3 years if it is a fault. They do state any tampering will void any chance of a warranty. I would still look for a solution on the grounds it was not fit for purpose which is your consumer rights.
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer/shopping/repairs_replacements_and_refunds.htm

I bought a dewalt drill the same day, which I registered for the 3 year warranty. I’m almost certain I didnt register the makita :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Check the fuse.

As for so-called warranties, your basic consumer protection is far better.

Here you have up to 6 years if you can show it's a fault of manufacture. - The test is what is a reasonable time for the item to perform.

If was used in a professional work capacity then the consumer protection doesn't apply.

Would ye reckon better sending it back to screwfix or try Makita direct?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭salamiii

Would ye reckon better sending it back to screwfix or try Makita direct?

changing brushes is easy diy repair

Makita will not take back after 1 year

https://www.screwfix.ie/help/returns/

"What do I do if an item develops a fault after 30 days?
    Please check if the manufacturer offers a helpline, repair or warranty service or a collect and repair service. If there is no warranty or repair service, please Contact Us. We will either offer a repair or where this is not possible will replace the item with the same or an equivalent model."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭salamiii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Darc19 wrote: »
    Check the fuse.

As for so-called warranties, your basic consumer protection is far better.

Here you have up to 6 years if you can show it's a fault of manufacture. - The test is what is a reasonable time for the item to perform.

If was used in a professional work capacity then the consumer protection doesn't apply.

You keep saying that :rolleyes: In this case both these companies have a dealer network that is excellent in dealing with their 3 year extended warranty claims. I've known makita replace tools several times during a 3 year extended warranty period.

Good luck getting anything back after 5 years even a Small Claims Court judgement will take into account 5 years use and may give you a few quid back and it will cost you 25 to take the case which you don't get back.

Wake me up when it's all over.

salamiii wrote: »
    changing brushes is easy diy repair

Makita will not take back after 1 year

Yes they will.

The OP should send it back to Screwfix, in line with their entitlement to protections conveyed under the sales of goods act and other EU consumer protection legislation. Screwfix should handle any interaction with the manufacturer and from personal experience, the mechanism to escalate a claim under consumer protection for 12 months+ is in place.

Anyone who thinks the 12 months is all you get, as a private consumer, needs to educate themselves a bit better. That's old fashioned nonsense these days.

Update - Have got pawned off by both Screwfix and Makita based on 1 year warranty. Have gone back on above suggested "consumer protection" grounds, but expect to get nowhere based on current chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Update - Have got pawned off by both Screwfix and Makita based on 1 year warranty. Have gone back on above suggested "consumer protection" grounds, but expect to get nowhere based on current chat.

Bamayang, try the fuse in the plug, as mentioned above you can change the brushes without voiding warranty. another thing that could be an issue-the cable could be damaged where it meets the bottom of the drill handle, at the strain relief; you can usually open these up with a Torx 20 or similar and easily re-terminate the cable (usually a 2 core 1.5sqmm) onto the trigger assembly.

If you don't feel like fluting about with it, there are a few spots that repair makita stuff-I used this place before for warranty work on a makita 12V drill. They're in Dublin, may be worth a call though.

So far you've probably just been in contact with call centre staff who have no power to do anything. The eu legislation mentioned in the citizens info page above specifically mentions two years anyway.

• Advertisement

glynf wrote: »
    Bamayang, try the fuse in the plug, as mentioned above you can change the brushes without voiding warranty. another thing that could be an issue-the cable could be damaged where it meets the bottom of the drill handle, at the strain relief; you can usually open these up with a Torx 20 or similar and easily re-terminate the cable (usually a 2 core 1.5sqmm) onto the trigger assembly.

If you don't feel like fluting about with it, there are a few spots that repair makita stuff-I used this place before for warranty work on a makita 12V drill. They're in Dublin, may be worth a call though.

Tried the fuse straight after it went, no go. Will try a bit more if I get nowhere with makita. Don’t think it’s the flex as no wear or sign of any wear with it.

Thanks for the advise though. I’ll try them lads if the rest doesn’t work. Of course all of this would be sorted if I had to take the 3 minutes to register to extend the warranty.

Advertisement