Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Correct spelling of names...

• 06-01-2010 10:27am

Howdy, was unsure of where to put this, so if its more suited to somewhere like the English forum then feel free to throw it around.

Okay, saw the front page of the Indo today and they spelled Sean FitzPatrick's name with a capital P in the middle of his surname like I have done here. I assumed it was a typo, and checked the online version, but thats the same.

So, thinking the online version might be just a ctrl+v job from the print versions template or whatever, i forgot about it. Well not really, 'cos those kind of things end up niggling away annoying me.

Lo and behold, inside the paper in the article about Justin Keating's funeral they are talking about some of the attendees including "Garret FitzGerald".

WTF?

I've never come across this before. Is this the correct spelling or is it just some weirdo in the indo's offices taking the pi$$?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Traditionally, Fitz names are spelt with 2 capitals so the Indo is (surprisingly) correct. But a lot of people don't bother with it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

originally the Fitz surnames were written as two words - e.g. Fitz Gerald, but later the two words merged.

The prefix is of Norman origin and comes from the French for son - 'fils'

Shane

Advertisement