Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What bird makes a quick fire yapping noise...

Options
  • 30-09-2020 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭

What bird makes a quick fire yapping or whooping noise? It’s a high pitched call in quick succession a bit like a small dog yapping. I’ve heard it regularly over last few days with approx 3-7 yaps/whoops each time.

Anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Magpie?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

What bird makes a quick fire yapping or whooping noise? It’s a high pitched call in quick succession a bit like a small dog yapping. I’ve heard it regularly over last few days with approx 3-7 yaps/whoops each time.

Anyone know?

Habitat? All I can think of is a squirrel mating call?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

My missus when shes on the warpath

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

gzoladz wrote: »
      Habitat? All I can think of is a squirrel mating call?

Rural, fields and trees around.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bKKcZlw8Fzc

Sounds quite similar to first part alright but there’s not the second longer bit. Probably more high pitched than first part.

Esel wrote: »
      Magpie?

Deffo not magpie, more high pitched and yapping than that.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Jays make a harsh call, it's sort of a single note but often repeated quickly, and their numbers seem (to me) to be on the increase and they appear less 'shyer' than i remember.....

https://www.british-birdsongs.uk/jay/

Stonechat?

Jays make a harsh call, it's sort of a single note but often repeated quickly, and their numbers seem (to me) to be on the increase and they appear less 'shyer' than i remember.....

https://www.british-birdsongs.uk/jay/

Nope, not a Jay or a Stonechat.

Rural, fields and trees around.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bKKcZlw8Fzc

Sounds quite similar to first part alright but there’s not the second longer bit. Probably more high pitched than first part.

Pheasant?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Starlings yap

(They also impersonate other sounds!)

• Advertisement
      • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Frightened blackbird?

Looks like it was a crow!

5 of them overhead today chasing each other and one of them was very clearly making a yapping noise.

5 of them overhead today chasing each other and one of them was very clearly making a yapping noise.

Aahhhh yes, hoodies can be vocal.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Were they Ravens, they have quite a wide repertoire and would be riding the thermals on bright sunny days.....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The diversity of bird song ! When I was first in the Leitrim mountains I was intrigued by a very odd song. Like a fishing reel... I emailed one of the bird groups; a grasshopper warbler. It also never seemed to pause for breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

There's an app called bird up which you can use to help identify bird song and sounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

Kamili wrote: »
        There's an app called bird up which you can use to help identify bird song and sounds.

Does it work well? Might give it a try. I tried one for flowers (name I can't remember), ended up deleting it as it was constantly "searching".

Does it work well? Might give it a try. I tried one for flowers (name I can't remember), ended up deleting it as it was constantly "searching".

Yep, I even bought the upgrade. Needs an internet connection though but gives realtime results as you record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

Yep, I even bought the upgrade. Needs an internet connection though but gives realtime results as you record.

Brilliant, just installed it there, looking forward to trying it out!

Excellent, thanks for that.

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭x567

The one I use for flowers (and all plants) is PictureThis which I’ve found very good.

x567 wrote: »
        The one I use for flowers (and all plants) is PictureThis which I’ve found very good.

I found that one was doing the searching thing all the time on me so I tried another called Seek and it works much better. Does insects, fungi plants and animals too.

Advertisement