Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oak shelves

• 27-09-2020 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

B and q have some nice oak planks with rustic edges. Would these necessarily NEED to be treated if using them for shelves or would they be fine put straight up with brackets?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

hotshots85 wrote: »
    B and q have some nice oak planks with rustic edges. Would these necessarily NEED to be treated if using them for shelves or would they be fine put straight up with brackets?

If they have rustic edges they must be solid oak which is surprising.In any case shelves are 'free floating' so they can expand and contract They should be fine without any treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭hotshots85

recipio wrote: »
    If they have rustic edges they must be solid oak which is surprising.In any case shelves are 'free floating' so they can expand and contract They should be fine without any treatment.

Thanks, yeah seem to be just cut planks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

hotshots85 wrote: »
    Thanks, yeah seem to be just cut planks

You need to make some allowance for the planks to expand and contract on the brackets.
    Slotting the screw holes allows movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Any chance of a link OP as I'm looking to put up rustic like shelving in my kitchen and finding it hard to find anything online that doesn't involve crazy shipping prices.

If anybody has any Irish sites that might sell something like this I'd appreciate it, but if B&Q have a similar offering and I just need brackets then that'd be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭hotshots85

D'Agger wrote: »
    Any chance of a link OP as I'm looking to put up rustic like shelving in my kitchen and finding it hard to find anything online that doesn't involve crazy shipping prices.

If anybody has any Irish sites that might sell something like this I'd appreciate it, but if B&Q have a similar offering and I just need brackets then that'd be ideal.

The B and Q are more rustic, no finishing, still have the bark edge. I think they do have a full "squared off" plank version but it was also raw wood.

• Advertisement
Advertisement