Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buzzing noise from fuse box

• 22-01-2019 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi. The other night we noticed a low buzzing / whirring noise coming from our fuse box. It stopped after 45 minutes but it started again today. Any ideas what this could be? Presume we need to contact an electrician?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Get an electrician out as soon as you can. Its an important part of the house and also a fire hazard

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Almost certainly a loose connection - does it start when any particular item (cooker, washing machine etc.) is turned on? You need to get it checked out asap as a loose connection is a definite fire hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Failure in an mcb.

We had same issue few weeks ago, buzzing sound from box, tripped mcb one by one and found one to be the problem. New 10A mcb €5 amd I had it changed in a few minutes.

If your not confident call an electrician.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

_Brian wrote: »
    Failure in an mcb.

We had same issue few weeks ago, buzzing sound from box, tripped mcb one by one and found one to be the problem. New 10A mcb €5 amd I had it changed in a few minutes.

Are you an Registered Electrician?

I’ve been called many things.

How come you ask ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 shinyteeth

Gravelly wrote: »
    Almost certainly a loose connection - does it start when any particular item (cooker, washing machine etc.) is turned on? You need to get it checked out asap as a loose connection is a definite fire hazard.

I dont think it has any "trigger" appliances. I've contancted an electrician anyway so they are going to come out early tomorrow afternoon. Thank you all for replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

_Brian wrote:

It's illegal for anyone but a registered electrical contractor to work on the fuseboad.

Confident or not an electrician should be called. You should get a cert when the work is done

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It's illegal for anyone but a registered electrical contractor to work on the fuseboad.

Confident or not an electrician should be called. You should get a cert when the work is done

Damn.
    And there was me hoping it was an offer of work.

No harm no foul.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭listermint

_Brian wrote: »
    Damn.
    And there was me hoping it was an offer of work.

No harm no foul.

Those oul mcbs they were just invented when reci came along didn't you know .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 shinyteeth

Got electrician out. He reckons it's the bell transformer thats the root cause of the noise. He checked everything else, tightened up the connections etc so nothing sinister is going on. Thanks again for the replies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement