Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Multi car insurance

• 22-01-2019 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭

Ok just wondering has anyone got multi car insurance. I am looking at second car for Au Pair and rang insurance company so they gave me the following advice.

So I have my own policy, put Au Pair onto this policy and then put it onto whichever cars make financial sense
    Buy new car and then take out new policy on this car. You will have no NCB or anything as this is new car. You will then need to build up NCB on this car

You cannot have a large policy with a number of cars and drivers on it. Irish insurance does not allow for this.

This seems a bit mad. Just wondering has anyone found a better way to insure so I can use the NCB I have built up to get a discount?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭ondafly

in a slightly similiar situation - looking to pickup a 2nd car for myself. My only option so far is a new policy with zero ncb. Its a car that will only be driven on the weekends, i.e. limited mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

ondafly wrote: »
    in a slightly similiar situation - looking to pickup a 2nd car for myself. My only option so far is a new policy with zero ncb. Its a car that will only be driven on the weekends, i.e. limited mileage.

Buy a classic.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Buy a classic.

did that before with an E21 - want something modern this time.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

did that before with an E21 - want something modern this time.:pac:

You can get classic insurance on 15 year old bmws, possibly all german cars

• Registered Users Posts: 28,075 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I took out a new policy recently as didn't want to have a car I was selling not insured I already had my new car.
    Took out a new policy on the new car, NCD never came into it, when I sold the old car I then cancelled the new car policy and transferred the new car to the old policy. Both policy's were identical, NCB insured etc.
    No issue with the insurance company doing it. AXA.

• Advertisement

9935452 wrote: »

not anymore ! autoline I assume ? tried on Monday for a 2001 M3 - was denied, car needs to be 20 years old now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

9935452 wrote: »

not anymore ! autoline I assume ? tried on Monday for a 2001 M3 - was denied, car needs to be 20 years old now.

Alliance were doing it up to a few years ago. Not sure about now though

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Several insurers in the UK provide multicar products, it's considered quite normal. Here, asking about a multicar policy seems to be equivalent to producing the insurance agent's mother's disembowelled carcass and asking them to "insure this, bee-yotch!!". Could someone provide a sensible explanation for why this should be the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

jimgoose wrote: »
    Several insurers in the UK provide multicar products, it's considered quite normal. Here, asking about a multicar policy seems to be equivalent to producing the insurance agent's mother's disembowelled carcass and asking them to "insure this, bee-yotch!!". Could someone provide a sensible explanation for why this should be the case?

There are quite a few multicar providers in the uK but they didn't in my experience mirror a single NCB onto multiple cars. When I first started a musical policy (Admiral), each car came on with its own NCB at the respective renewal dates. From he first year, each policy ran to the same termination date. The multicar discount was essentially volume/loyalty based - got even better if I added house insurance etc.

Some years I found better prices for one or other car elsewhere and would have a fight etc with them. By the time I left the UK I had separate policies, hilariously with separate sub brands of AXA although no mulitcar element. Since I've been in Ireland, Liberty has been the best pricing for my two cars with independent NCBs. It gives a 10% discount for a second policy so similar approach to what I had with Admiral.

Unsure if some other UK companies give explicit mirroring of NCB or whether it's just that they can price the the policy lower as the NCB implies a lower incidence of claim.

Advertisement