Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What to stock up on.. Brexit

12346»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Seriously though, could we have issues with supplies of medication? I take daily meds but don't know where they are produced.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I have been thinking that panic buying certain foodstuffs in anticipation to Brexit was OTT but now I myself am beginning to wonder...

I think I'll stock up on a couple of things - pasta, rice (long shelf life for both), pickles, English mustard and sundried tomatoes.

Everything else is too perishable.

But my biggest concern is Twiglets. Seriously considering driving up to Belfast to do a raid on those addictive crunchy peppery snacks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Seriously though, could we have issues with supplies of medication? I take daily meds but don't know where they are produced.
    I have about 1 months meds stocked up atm, if there's no problems, I can run them down but I'd be hoping for 2 months just to cater for any delays in restocking supplies. It'll all work out over the next 6 months or so, once they can work around new supply timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I have been thinking that panic buying certain foodstuffs in anticipation to Brexit was OTT but now I myself am beginning to wonder...

I think I'll stock up on a couple of things - pasta, rice (long shelf life for both), pickles, English mustard and sundried tomatoes.

But my biggest concern is Twiglets. Seriously considering driving up to Belfast to do a raid on those addictive crunchy peppery snacks!

Just make sure you get your insurance green card first.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If it's not Italian it's not real pasta.

Culinary-map-Europe-Italy.jpg

If you want big bags of rice go to an Asian store.

Sundried tomatoes - because their summers are so much better than ours ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

sophiexyz wrote: »
    AFAIK all the pet food is made in the UK, should get a bit in just incase things go bad, other wise will be feeding the cats/dogs expensive human grade meat, you pet owners know this will happen, those who don't have pets won't understand.

Didn't Albert Reynolds have a pet food factory?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

If it's not Italian it's not real pasta.

Culinary-map-Europe-Italy.jpg

If you want big bags of rice go to an Asian store.

Sundried tomatoes - because their summers are so much better than ours ?

These foodstuffs don't originate un the UK, but do pass through the country in transit to us.

I mentioned the pasta. Because Tesco sell pretty good pasta at very cheap prices and no way will I go back to consuming that overpriced Roma rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Also, if anyone is interested, herea a link to a FB page recording the number of jobs lost asa
    direct result of Brexit
    It's over 200k so far and they haven't even left yet. Bear in mind this is only job losses that are reported in the media.

www.facebook.com/BrexitWrecksIt/

Their unemployment is still a record low though.

FB isn't ever a 'news source', it's a gossip column smattered with fakeness and agenda angles. The uk has just broken employment records: https://www.ft.com/content/3d88919e-1e29-11e9-b2f7-97e4dbd3580d

Most of the losses are simply re-distribution. I.e. The retail sector is on it's knees (while Amazon still pays little tax), one street has about 20 charity shops - perhaps as these get a 90% discount on shop rates, which strangle the ordinary shops.

You have to credit the enterprise however of some of the 'brexit boxes' folks - which are just a load of tins in a box, selling for three fiddy £/€ notes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

FB isn't ever a 'news source', it's a gossip column smattered with fakeness and agenda angles. The uk has just broken employment records: https://www.ft.com/content/3d88919e-1e29-11e9-b2f7-97e4dbd3580d

Most of the losses are simply re-distribution. I.e. The retail sector is on it's knees (while Amazon still pays little tax), one street has about 20 charity shops - perhaps as these get a 90% discount on shop rates, which strangle the ordinary shops.

You have to credit the enterprise however of some of the 'brexit boxes' folks - which are just a load of tins in a box, selling for three fiddy £/€ notes.

Never said it was a news source, just said it was a Facebook page.
    I also said that it had record unemployment.

Ireland also has the lowest unemployment in a decade despite Brexit uncertainty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Ireland also has the lowest unemployment in a decade despite Brexit uncertainty.

Facepuke is a bit like refering to a random conversation I over heard down at the car park, wholly irrelevant in the larger scale of things.

Brexit hasn't happened (as yet, may not ever happen), so worth waiting a year to two, post-exit to get a proper idea of the actual effects.

In Ireland stocking up on food isn't as good of an idea as it is in the uk, with it's 66m mouths to feed.

Instead mechanical/electroinc/technical serviceable spare parts made there might be a better idea. That could be random things such as having spare brake pads for the car (if due to expire), to a replacement washing machine door (if nearing end of life).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

igCorcaigh wrote: »

United drug hare stockpiling additional amounts. They were on prime time last week discussing it

Record unemployment...

The number of people in employment in the UK is measured by the Labour Force Survey (LFS) and consists of people aged 16 and over who did one hour or more of paid work per week (as an employee or self-employed), those who had a job that they were temporarily away from, those on government-supported training and employment programmes, and those doing unpaid family work.

Source:
    https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/employmentandemployeetypes/methodologies/aguidetolabourmarketstatistics

One hour a week
    A job you're temporarily away from
    Govt programmes
    And worst of all...
    UNPAID family work.

Lies, damned lies and statistics indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

AFAIK all the pet food is made in the UK, should get a bit in just incase things go bad, other wise will be feeding the cats/dogs expensive human grade meat, you pet owners know this will happen, those who don't have pets won't understand.

C&D Longford in Edgeworthstown makes pet food.

Business could be booming for them in the home market but not sure how their exports would go.
    Mint Sauce wrote: »
    May is not going anywhere soon. She has survived a no confidence vote, as has her party, more so down to the leader of the oposition being a worse opition.

She will only go if she steps down or calls a general election. Only problem with that is, those lined up to take her place ARE pro leave, May isn't, she is only following the will of the people, as per the referendum.

As for stocking up on stuff, if I was, it would be on UK/GB produced items, which is probably half the stuff I use.

:(

May is a lifelong Tory so would rather dump the country in the shyte than split the conservative party and that is the real stumbling block.
    She will put party politics ahead of the country.

If there is hard Brexit then SMEs will be the ones most affected.
    It won't matter to the Googles, Facefooks, Mickiesofts, but the small SMEs that depend on Britain for export market and often import of raw materials will be greatly affected.
    Even companies whose markets are in mainland Europe will often be affected by inconveniences and cost of extra delays in the UK land bridge.

And once life is difficult for SMEs employment suffers.

And I didn't even mention how dependent our biggest indigenous employer, the Agri business, is on the UK and how bad the effects could be.

Another import that will be probably affected will be flowers.
    All those truck loads coming in from Netherlands come across UK land bridge as quickest route.

If only Brexit came before Valentines Day. ;)

Food and health wise brexit could be great for Ireland, less junk food, ready meals imported from UK, so we will be forced to go back to making our own dinners, good simple meat and 2 veg, health benefits and weight loss will be seen within weeks

The largest ready meal factory in Europe is in Monaghan I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Guns, in case things get out of hand

• Registered Users Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭Odhinn

It just struck me that we may well need to stock up on Brits (for blame purposes). After brexit they'll be more than likely hunting each other as a food source, so there will be a sudden large population drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,149 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I did a survey and it asked me would I miss any of these products.
    Walkers Crisps.
    Lyons Tea.
    HP Sauce.
    M&S ready meals.
    Mcvities biscuits.
    Weetabix.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭mikeecho

While we might have the largest ready meal factory in Monaghan, and a large pet food factory and lots of other industries.

Some of the ingredients may be imported via the UK, likewise with packaging etc.

If you're missing one ingredient for a certain product.. then you can't manufacturer that item .

Interesting times are ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

mikeecho wrote: »
    While we might have the largest ready meal factory in Monaghan, and a large pet food factory and lots of other industries.

Some of the ingredients may be imported via the UK, likewise with packaging etc.

If you're missing one ingredient for a certain product.. then you can't manufacturer that item .

Interesting times are ahead.

If you’re missing one ingredient for a certain product, you source it elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭mikeecho

fxotoole wrote: »
    If you’re missing one ingredient for a certain product, you source it elsewhere

That mightn't be as simple to do overnight .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

People were told it was going to be bad. Expert after expert told them it was a stupid idea but Nigel "people are sick of listening to experts" Farage told them a pack of lies.

They chose to believe him.
    They voted leave.

We're all going to suffer for it now.

Why ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

mikeecho wrote: »
    That mightn't be as simple to do overnight .

Yep. And how do you get it? If it's coming over the land bridge you're fecked. It's not just finding a new product but also a new supply line and hoping it has the capacity to carry it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

A lot of bed wetters and newly qualified economic experts on show in this thread.

Armchair economists. It makes a change from armchair republicans I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Why ?

Because his "truth" sounded better than the real truth.

Same reason the same idiots get elected every year.
    They lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Because his "truth" sounded better than the real truth.

Same reason the same idiots get elected every year.

Nah, that's superficial guff. And very condescending. It's careless to think that people voted NO simply for the reasons that the 'NO' campaign told them to.

Apart from the way the immigration issue fed into the result, it is very silly to adopt the Irish mindset to British voters' intentions. They simply don't feel the same, don't have the inferiority complex of being cap in hand to the overlords who dish out sweeties to us.

The 'real truth', despite what you think it to be, is that the British were only ever semi-detached members in the first place.

There is a very long tradition of Euroscepticism in Britain. It would be weird if there weren't, in a way. People like to caricature that as odd-ball conservatism eg Bill Cash, but that isn't accurate.
    Britain's continuing membership of the Community would mean the end of Britain as a completely self-governing nation

Tony Benn, Letter to Bristol constituents, December, 1974

Tony Benn's speech to the Commons on November 21st, 1991 is really worth reading. Norman Tebbit (!) said it was the best speech he had ever heard in the House.

Your 'same idiots get elected every year' analysis is odd in a way, since the thing that has been thrown at Farage time and again is that he has failed to be elected to the Commons.

I have no idea how this will play out, but I hope to Christ they prosper on the back of all this. Anything else would be very petty.

Advertisement