Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Rider Insurance/Questions

• 18-01-2019 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19 GMessam405

Hey errbody, im thinking of getting a licence to ride a motorbike, and am just wondering about insurance prices. Im 18, male, and live in ballinteer. Id like a +1000cc cruiser (a Yamaha virago or something), but I dunno if that's possible, and could settle for less, maybe 250+? Anyone have any experience with this? and also, andybody know what its like to carry a surfboard on a motorbike? Ive seen racks for it, but would it be unmanageable with wind?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

GMessam405 wrote: »
    Hey errbody, im thinking of getting a licence to ride a motorbike, and am just wondering about insurance prices. Im 18, male, and live in ballinteer. Id like a +1000cc cruiser (a Yamaha virago or something), but I dunno if that's possible, and could settle for less, maybe 250+? Anyone have any experience with this? and also, andybody know what its like to carry a surfboard on a motorbike? Ive seen racks for it, but would it be unmanageable with wind?

Not a chance in hell of getting a 1,000cc Cruiser at 18.

1/ Legally I believe you can only drive a 250cc (maybe a 125) on the licence. You need to be over 24.
    2/ Unless you have experience with bikes, 1000cc bikes are big and much heavier than you'd think. They also accelerate faster than you'd think too.

I love cruisers, my first bike was one and I'll always prefer them, but go for something like a Virago or preferably a Yamaha DragStar. Great bikes, great sound and have the look of a larger cruiser too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭colm_c

As for the surfboard rack, wouldn't like to travel from ballinteer to the west coast with it!

I have seen some in California, usually locals heading to the beach a few miles away.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

In the "old days" anyone could get a provisional licence and get a big cc bike. Thank god the rules have changed . . . . . . . I can imagine the OP on the M50 with a surfboard riding a 1,000 cc cruiser :eek:. It's a little worrying that people don't use Google to check licence restrictions before asking on a forum.

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/no-name-yet/ :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭mamax

andybody know what its like to carry a surfboard on a motorbike? Ive seen racks for it, but would it be unmanageable with wind?

Would love to see that when you pass a gap in the ditch :)
    If you ever decide to do it here in Ireland please please get someone to video it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19 GMessam405

Thanks for the answers! I did check the restrictions, but the whole power/weight stuff does my head in. Any clu on insurance prices? That in the end will determine me getting a bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Thanks for the answers! I did check the restrictions, but the whole power/weight stuff does my head in. Any clu on insurance prices? That in the end will determine me getting a bike.

Bike insurance for beginners is not to bad once you don't go for the sprty named models, since you want a cruiser it will be reasonable, especially compared to a car.

A surfboard on a bike would be a nightmare. Any type of crosswind, large vehicles create a lot of turbulence, would have you blown around the road. I'd say the carriers are designed for the people who ride in flip flops and budgy smugglers

Yeah i had a feeling about the surfboard thing, the insurance bit is good news though, i better work on the licence then. And would mods be possible with the insurance? Nothing crazy, just like cosmetics and exhaust

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Yeah i had a feeling about the surfboard thing, the insurance bit is good news though, i better work on the licence then. And would mods be possible with the insurance? Nothing crazy, just like cosmetics and exhaust

Honestly, as a learner you will drop the bike at some stage, so bear in mind that one of the points that will touch first is likely to be the exhaust.
    I'd buy a cheap bike that you can learn on and don't mind dropping once you get some experience then think about getting a bike that you can dress up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭honda boi

My brother is looking to start biking ,19 years of age he is.
    Got a quote on liberty insurance for a little over €1,000 on a Honda cg125 ,Suzuki gz125 ,gn125.
    Alot cheaper then a car.!!!
    Head to liberty insurance website and get a quote on a few bikes and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

honda boi wrote: »
    Got a quote on liberty insurance for a little over €1,000 on a Honda cg125 ,Suzuki gz125 ,gn125.
    Head to liberty insurance website and get a quote on a few bikes and go from there.

Has he got any quotes for a car?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ Lyle Bitter Tiling

honda boi wrote: »

Liberty are usually aimed at younger drivers, or at least they were in the Quinn-Direct days.

Had insurance with them on a bandit 600 for about 550 TPO.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Has he got any quotes for a car?

I think he got a couple but if I remember correctly they were mad money.
    More then €3,000 I think.
    He needed a new enough car as well to get insurance ,not like an old Punto or focus.
    So he wants to get a bike.

Liberty are usually aimed at younger drivers, or at least they were in the Quinn-Direct days.

Had insurance with them on a bandit 600 for about 550 TPO.

Ye when I started off nearly a decade ago,they were the only company to insure me.
    I remember it being like over 1,000€ for my 91 honda bros :p

Thanks for all the advice, let the cash savings begin!

Advertisement