Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gillette | Toxic masculinity advert.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

tedpan wrote: »
    Any publicity is good publicity, especially if you're Gillette. It's not going to stop me buying razors, blades and foam from them. It's just another way to get into people's heads...

Yeah, no.

Gillette I suspect are about to learn what the phrase 'get woke, go broke' means. They could ask EA who's wokening of Battlefield 5 lead to a stock price slump. All publicity isn't good publicity, especially when you attack your core audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

"Triggered", "snowflake" etc etc. The same people who leap to the defence of women whenever ads that dont fit into their ridiculous ideology are shown (club Orange anyone?). I'm not surprised at the hypocrisy tbh.

Regarding the ad, I dont think its worthy of outrage but it deserves to be criticised for jumping on the latest "all men are bastards unless they become more like women" bandwagon. I can only imagine the fat, purple haired, black rimmed glasses wearing marketing team behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Ush1 wrote: »
    Where's the ad for toxic femininity?

The trauma of poorly made sandwiches, badly ironed shirts and being nagged at that time of the month.

Probably more about women calling each other sluts and whores and making fun of each other for being fat and not wearing something nice/different everyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

I'm really not seeing the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Regarding the ad, I dont think its worthy of outrage but it deserves to be criticised for jumping on the latest "all men are bastards unless they become more like women" bandwagon. I can inly imagine the fat, purple haired, black rimmed glasses wearing marketing team behind it.

So what you're saying is that the ad triggered you to come on here and criticise the appearance of the person you imagine made it?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,170 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Quick question regarding Gillette products. Are the one's aimed at women still a lot more expensive because there pink?
    Several women in the past have said this to me and they used buy the male razors!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

20Cent wrote: »
    It's the new marketing method. Basically trolling right wing reactionaries and they make your ad go viral. PETA did it recently with an ad about stopping meat based slogans, the right went nuts, hadn't heard anything about PETA in years suddenly they are everywhere. Same with Greggs vegan sausage roll. The folks being triggered by this advertising style are the same people who call those fighting for basic human rights snowflakes. Think it's great promotions, coke and hookers all round for the marketing department.

I'm not too sure about the callout about all encompassing right wing reaction.
    I'm left of centre and it has bugged me.
    I'm not foaming at the mouth about it and I comprehend it's about profits not any bull about corporate responsibility. Which makes it even more nauseating IMO.

Won't hold my breath waiting on a tampon ad signalling "toxic" femininity

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    If they're winding up the losers of AH they must be onto a winner.

With who?

I put it to you that intersectional feminists might be happy, but they probably won't buy their razors either...... because shaving is patriarchy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Why do men need to be told this? Is the implication that we're already that way and need fixing? I sincerely doubt you'd take such a stance if a similar ad was aimed at women. It's situations like this that shine a light on the every growing hypocrisy of "progressives".

Maybe the message is supposed to be that boys and men have been very badly served and often damaged not by who they really are but by old fashioned, outdated views of certain aspects of masculinity and it's time to retire these views so that tomorrow's men can thrive better without dragging these toxic messages around with them ?? As a mum of boys that's my best interpretation of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Plopsu wrote: »
    If you don't find the portrayal of men in that ad insulting, I'd find that far more odd (unless you actually are a mansplaining sexual harasser).

Not really, I know that I wouldn't sexually harass anyone. So I'm not gonna get offended by an effort to reduce sexual harassment.

cgcsb wrote: »
    It sells though, maybe men are just less open to criticism from advertisers.

me aren't open to criticism full stop. What u saying? Fight you!

Hurrache wrote: »
    So what you're saying is that the ad triggered you to come on here and criticise the appearance of the person you imagine made it?

And there's my point proven. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Pelvis wrote: »
    I'm really not seeing the problem.
    That's because there is no problem.

Just a group of people whose entire sense of identity is based on "manliness" and who foam at the mouth whenever anyone would dare to question whether traditional notions of manliness such as "boys will be boys" are actually a reasonable way to raise children who can be functional members of society that treat everyone else with respect.

Realistically the people who get worked up about this so-called "attack on men" are only one step removed from the same psychopath who kidnapped that 13 year old girl and kept her trapped for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

And there's my point proven. :)

You like to think so, but read back over your contradictory post in which you fit right into the stereotype.

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Maybe the message is supposed to be that boys and men have been very badly served and often damaged not by who they really are but by old fashioned, outdated views of certain aspects of masculinity and it's time to retire these views so that tomorrow's men can thrive better without dragging these toxic messages around with them ?? As a mum of boys that's my best interpretation of it.

The application of Sharia law in the ad is a bit alarming, no?

lbc2019 wrote: »

"Art, games, noise". A stand up member of society alright. He's also makes out that anyone criticising the ad is a basement dwelling incel which is the extent of his limited intelligence. It wouldn't surprise me if this idiot lives with his parents which further adds to the hypocrisy.

seamus wrote: »
    Realistically the people who get worked up about this so-called "attack on men" are only one step removed from the same psychopath who kidnapped that 13 year old girl and kept her trapped for months.

wow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

I think it's bullcrap, saw it yesterday. This group guilt thing is going too far. The faces of the men - serious, then with dawning awareness - are supposed to convey some sort of awakening from a shared past as marauders, bullies, rapists, aggressors. All the scenarios are completely cliché, not to mention poorly acted. Imagine if there was an advert for a product targeting young women that implied they are all potential mean girls, or bitchy, or gold diggers, or vain, or gossipy, and that they should start calling each other out. Bullcrap.

• Advertisement

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    If they're winding up the losers of AH they must be onto a winner.

I doubt the loser incels even use Gilette, with their neckbeards and spotty oily skin

"Art, games, noise". A stand up member of society alright. He's also makes out that anyone criticising the ad is a basement dwelling incel which is the extent of his limited intelligence. It wouldn't surprise me if this idiot lives with his parents which further adds to the hypocrisy.

Hit a raw nerve???

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

lbc2019 wrote: »

The guy is wearing a beanie hat, indoors, with a short sleeve t-shirt.
    That's all you need to know about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

batgoat wrote: »
    Not really, I know that I wouldn't sexually harass anyone. So I'm not gonna get offended by an effort to reduce sexual harassment.

Riiiiggghhht. So, if I called you a wife beating, pedo (and I'm not), you'd be okay with that because you know it's not true? I think not. The ad portrays men (of which I am one) in a very negative way. I find it insulting precisely because I am nothing like that portrayal.
    And if you think an ad is an effort to reduce sexual harassment, well now that really is odd.

Plopsu wrote: »
    Riiiiggghhht. So, if I called you a wife beating, pedo (and I'm not), you'd be okay with that because you know it's not true? I think not. The ad portrays men (of which I am one) in a very negative way. I find it insulting precisely because I am nothing like that portrayal.
    And if you think an ad is an effort to reduce sexual harassment, well now that really is odd.

I am a man, why am I not offended??? :confused:

Wow. So criticising what is clearly an idelogues wet dream of an ad is close to being a psycho? Did you get your psychiatry licence in gender studies class?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Zorya wrote: »
    I think it's bullcrap, saw it yesterday. This group guilt thing is going too far. The faces of the men - serious, then with dawning awareness - are supposed to convey some sort of awakening from a shared past as marauders, bullies, rapists, aggressors. All the scenarios are completely cliché, not to mention poorly acted. Imagine if there was an advert for a product targeting young women that implied they are all potential mean girls, or bitchy, or gold diggers, or vain, or gossipy, and that they should start calling each other out. Bullcrap.

here here

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

Bwahaha. Well done. People who criticise an ad are more or less child abductors. Superb! Now let's see if you can make it over two sharks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

cgcsb wrote: »
    The application of Sharia law in the ad is a bit alarming, no?

I see what you mean but maybe we don't see his actions as too bad because in the video from my memory he is quite dishy and good looking people get away with anything but women get followed by all sorts of guys and unless Brad Pitt is following you down the street, it's not really such a good experience imho.

• Advertisement

jobless wrote: »
    here here

hear, hear! (fyp)

Advertisement