Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things I missed out on at Christmas...

Options
  • 11-01-2019 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

Mine is a sharp regret that I never managed to go into a church and pray at the Crib... Just things closed down weather wise and I could barely get over ( islanded here) for long enough to shop..

Starting to hurt this is. Used to spend a day church-hopping. Killarney Cathedral is awesome .

sigh.... Next year will find an outdoor Crib to set up as well as the small indoor one...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Athdara

My regret is the weather was excellent and didn’t get outside enough. You are the first person I’ve heard say the weather wasn’t good over Christmas. Are you not in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Athdara wrote: »
    My regret is the weather was excellent and didn’t get outside enough. You are the first person I’ve heard say the weather wasn’t good over Christmas. Are you not in Ireland?

Where Grace is based she may as well not be in Ireland....for when the wind blows hard she could be well stranded for a few days!

Grace always loved your weather posts when you were based in Kerry and I always check in to see your posts when there is a storm a coming!

Taking of cribs, I was very disappointed not getting a chance to bring my little one to the moving crib, and the live crib on Dawson St. I usually do this every year.
    The month of December just completely ran away from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sundew wrote: »
    Where Grace is based she may as well not be in Ireland....for when the wind blows hard she could be well stranded for a few days!

Grace always loved your weather posts when you were based in Kerry and I always check in to see your posts when there is a storm a coming!

Taking of cribs, I was very disappointed not getting a chance to bring my little one to the moving crib, and the live crib on Dawson St. I usually do this every year.
    The month of December just completely ran away from me.

Thank you and yes we do get stranded when the wind blows hard. Added to this I have had to accept that my car needs to become an island car so am permanently islanded now...email is a huge blessing

Ah the live cribs! I saw one at Duagh once and was enchanted.

Next year!

Athdara wrote: »

It was wonderful for Christmas but the while before was stormy. And our hardworking ferry man deserves family time at Christmas..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭threetrees

Most churches still have the crib up for another few weeks. Plenty of time to fulfill that prayer. I think it comes down at the end of January.

• Advertisement

threetrees wrote: »
    Most churches still have the crib up for another few weeks. Plenty of time to fulfill that prayer. I think it comes down at the end of January.

Sadly I now have no access to the mainland . next year - (I mean this year!) Blessings and thanks for the kind thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,120 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Due to such a heavy workload I more or les missed the entire build up this (last?) year. I know I saw some adverts & helped with a bit of shopping but hand on heart my wife did 99% of the real christmas work this year. If it wasn't for this forum I suspect I'd have missed the lot. It was literally the day we finished up (friday 21st Dec) that I started to feel the buzz which was very late for me.
    I really must try to take time this year to enjoy the build up more, afterall the kids are growing up fast & I want to make the most of their innocence about the whol christmas thing while we can.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I have a crib and I went to a carol service, but no praying or churching for me at Christmas thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I got a 24 hour bug on Christmas day so couldn't enjoy Christmas Dinner, and I love Christmas Dinner! Wasn't fully right for a few days so missed a lot of the usual leftover meals

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Oh, what rotten timing you poor thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jude13

Bag of chipper chips, chocolate santa, chocolate coins, pints in town with pal, family.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Jude13 wrote: »
    Bag of chipper chips, chocolate santa, chocolate coins, pints in town with pal, family.

This year pal, this year!!! :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DvB wrote: »
    Due to such a heavy workload I more or les missed the entire build up this (last?) year. I know I saw some adverts & helped with a bit of shopping but hand on heart my wife did 99% of the real christmas work this year.

If it wasn't for this forum I suspect I'd have missed the lot. It was literally the day we finished up (friday 21st Dec) that I started to feel the buzz which was very late for me.

I really must try to take time this year to enjoy the build up more

Same as myself, I need to make more time to relax and breathe it all in, especially late Nov/Early Dec, I was so disorganised, alot of that had to do with moving house, but work certainly didn't help either. I need to go hell for leather in work to ensure I have enough work covered off that I can enjoy the Christmas break. This year I need to manage that better.

I suppose that no matter what lifestyle choices we make, there’s always something that we miss out on from time to time. I just count my blessings and give thanks for what I’ve got

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I missed out on having a couple of relaxed days at home in my own house just watching movies and eating chocolate etc. Between work and travelling to visit family, I had stuff on every day.

I know some people complain about getting cabin fever, I would love to get the chance :D:D

I suppose that no matter what lifestyle choices we make, there’s always something that we miss out on from time to time. I just count my blessings and give thanks for what I’ve got

Ah but good and wise to have something to aim for and seek.. For me, the Crib has a special place. does not stop me being deeply thankful for all I have, quite th eopposite. A small pilgrimage is a strong thing too

also somehow missed out on CHRISTMAS CAKE... sad

Advertisement