Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Non shed family dog

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭crustybread

em_cat wrote: »
    Please do not look for Maltese/ Shih Tzu cross, Bichon/ Maltese cross, Maltese Poodle cross as these are designer breed dogs all of which are bred for greed, often at the expense of the dogs, especially the dams.

All toy group breeds, KC recognised, not greeder FB DD internet made up breeds, the potential to be wonderful family pets, provided they receive adequate training, your children are taught how to respect the puppy, ie no teasing, chasing, tail, ear pulling etc.

This is not a pop at you, it’s pretty common that a lot of people don’t train the pup or the kids & then they get rid or have the pup euthanised.

Thanks for your input. I agree with you wholeheartedly on the training of kids and pups. We do need a non-shed dog due to allergies etc. I will look into the Toy breeds. I have looked at the Kennel club but although they do have some information there is not a lot to assist on where people should go to source a dog. We have tried Pounds but these non-shed dogs are generally not abandoned due to cost so I think we will have to source one ourselves. I was really looking for recommendations from people of potential breeders.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

We do need a non-shed dog due to allergies etc.

Please make sure you meet the dogs first and that the person with allergies gets right down with the dog - pick them up and cuddle them if the dog doesn't mind. Have bare arms if possible - my dog makes my skin flare up on my inner elbows. Puppies sometimes have different coats so make sure to meet the adults too and do the same.

Honestly, it's my "non-shed" breed that brings my allergies out. My heavy-shedding dog doesn't bother me at all. I've no idea why, but don't assume that a breed marketed as "hypoallergenic" or "non-shed" will be ok for allergies (or even an improvement).

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭crustybread

Choc Chip wrote: »
    Please make sure you meet the dogs first and that the person with allergies gets right down with the dog - pick them up and cuddle them if the dog doesn't mind. Have bare arms if possible - my dog makes my skin flare up on my inner elbows. Puppies sometimes have different coats so make sure to meet the adults too and do the same.

Honestly, it's my "non-shed" breed that brings my allergies out. My heavy-shedding dog doesn't bother me at all. I've no idea why, but don't assume that a breed marketed as "hypoallergenic" or "non-shed" will be ok for allergies (or even an improvement).

Thanks for all the good advice. Plenty to bear in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Thanks for your input. I agree with you wholeheartedly on the training of kids and pups. We do need a non-shed dog due to allergies etc. I will look into the Toy breeds. I have looked at the Kennel club but although they do have some information there is not a lot to assist on where people should go to source a dog. We have tried Pounds but these non-shed dogs are generally not abandoned due to cost so I think we will have to source one ourselves. I was really looking for recommendations from people of potential breeders.

That’s fair enough. Choc Chips advice is really good as allergies range from mild to severe. Remember if there are pollen or dust allergies you’ll also need to wipe the pup/ dog down as this is about the only way to keep them at bay and is better for the dog. I’ve seen a heap of internet advice saying to bath the dog weekly to help human allergies, this is a big no no as it is very bad for double coats to be bathed that often, same as Poodle as often they end up with yeast or fungal issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

VonVix wrote: »
    Reasons for choosing a non-shed breed? The reason why I ask, is that non-shed breeds require regular trips to the groomer, which is a 50 euro (give or take, depending on condition of the dog's coat) cost every 2-3 months, is this a cost you have considered? If this isn't done, they can become matted and in turn become cranky because of discomfort, which is not ideal if you have kids.

This is absolute hogwash. Smooth coat dogs such as dalmations do not need grooming and do not turn nasty if they are not brought to a dpggroomers? This whole cottage industry of charging e50-e70 to wash and groom a dog is shocking. Fine if you never brush your dog but frankly why bother havi g one if you ate never going to bother? And although they shed dreadfully terriers also dont need to go to a groomers -albeit they are usially cranks enough by themselves! Stop putting the OP off and frightening her/him into behaviours and costs they should not need if they take basic everyday care of their dog.

OP most dogs shed -some a lot, some less - they key thing is that you get one withtemperment snd encourahe the personality and behaviours that you want in your family pet. Labs shed less than retrievers, and are a universally adored short haired family pet typically great with kids, trainable and kindnatured. How about one of them? Easy solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

This is absolute hogwash. Smooth coat dogs such as dalmations do not need grooming and do not turn nasty if they are not brought to a dpggroomers? This whole cottage industry of charging e50-e70 to wash and groom a dog is shocking. Fine if you never brush your dog but frankly why bother havi g one if you ate never going to bother? And although they shed dreadfully terriers also dont need to go to a groomers -albeit they are usially cranks enough by themselves! Stop putting the OP off and frightening her/him into behaviours and costs they should not need if they take basic everyday care of their dog.

Wait, what? I was referring to most nonshed breeds, which are usually long coated. Nothing to do with dogs with naturally short hair. That's completely different. A lot of people thing that nonshed = less maintenance.

I'm being real here. I'm not going to sugar coat a long coated dogs grooming needs as something to be taken lightly.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

JustAThought, maybe slow down and take some time to actually read posts you are replying to instead of hammering away on a keyboard so fast that your not even doing a basic check as you go that your not typing gobbledegook instead of words. Calm down there a bit on the old outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

OP most dogs shed -some a lot, some less - they key thing is that you get one withtemperment snd encourahe the personality and behaviours that you want in your family pet. Labs shed less than retrievers, and are a universally adored short haired family pet typically great with kids, trainable and kindnatured. How about one of them? Easy solution.

What are you on about?

Dogs that don't shed have hair rather than fur. It never stops growing and does require very regular trips to the groomer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

JustAThought, maybe slow down and take some time to actually read posts you are replying to instead of hammering away on a keyboard so fast that your not even doing a basic check as you go that your not typing gobbledegook instead of words. Calm down there a bit on the old outrage.

As i am typing with a broken hand errors happen. But I guess its more important for.you to push in and be cruel than to stop and look at the majority of the spelling that is complte accurate. Just as well Im not dyslexic or disabled -God knows how cruel that would have been. As it is, suggesting a labrador and stating that non shed dogs do.not need to go to the expense of a groomer is imo entirely correct for their coats. You.mighy call ot gobbeldygook but in the normal world it os far from that.

No mention of the terrible tear duct and staining bichons have from anyone - a great reason to stayy clear esp for a new dog owner who may not want to be going to treat a dogs eyes or clean their face and eyes routinely.

As i am typing with a broken hand errors happen. But I guess its more important for.you to push in and be cruel than to stop and look at the majority of the spelling that is complte accurate. Just as well Im not dyslexic or disabled -God knows how cruel that would have been. As it is, suggesting a labrador and stating that non shed dogs do.not need to go to the expense of a groomer is imo entirely correct for their coats. You.mighy call ot gobbeldygook but in the normal world it os far from that.

No mention of the terrible tear duct and staining bichons have from anyone - a great reason to stayy clear esp for a new dog owner who may not want to be going to treat a dogs eyes or clean their face and eyes routinely.

You used the example of a dalmation as a non-shed breed - they shed heavily.

Labs also shed like mad and the OP said they want a low-shedding breed.

The flip side to low shedding is generally higher grooming requirements. It's doable to learn how to groom your own dog yourself but (a) the end result generally looks poorer because you have less practice and probably poorer equipment than a groomer; (b) it's time-consuming; and (c) lots of people don't have the confidence to do it themselves - I've seen people taking their dog to the vets to get their nails clipped!

I'm not a groomer but I'm sure they have other downsides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

I was a wee bit confused about the Dalmatian being a low shed dog too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Choc Chip wrote: »
    You used the example of a dalmation as a non-shed breed - they shed heavily.

Labs also shed like mad and the OP said they want a low-shedding breed.

The flip side to low shedding is generally higher grooming requirements. It's doable to learn how to groom your own dog yourself but (a) the end result generally looks poorer because you have less practice and probably poorer equipment than a groomer; (b) it's time-consuming; and (c) lots of people don't have the confidence to do it themselves - I've seen people taking their dog to the vets to get their nails clipped!

I'm not a groomer but I'm sure they have other downsides.

Sorry - I have to chip in here. I groom and clip my Shih Tzu myself. I have professional standard clippers, blades, tools and scissors. I also have a table and proper shampoos, conditioners, blade washes and powders which I buy in bulk from Christies. The blades are sent to CCP in Bandon for sharpening as and when. He's well groomed and I've had a lot of compliments from professionals when they see him which makes him happy as well as his proud Mum! :D

You're right to say it's time-consuming. It can take 2 hours to groom, wash, dry and clip my boy as he's such a drama king who hates water.

Clipping nails? If you don't know what you're doing, then clipping nails can be a nightmare and most dogs (including mine) don't like clipping as it's rarely done properly and fuss-free even if it's done by a professional. If you clip too low, then the claw can bleed - A LOT!! If you don't have the clotting powder to hand it can be hard to stop. Personally, I prefer to use a nail grinder as it's far less stressful to the dog.

Anyway - If home grooming is something people want to consider, then lots of books and YouTube videos to give you pointers. You can also do as I did and take a course. Expensive to start up, if you want to make a decent job of it but works out far cheaper in the long run.

Anyway - If home grooming is something people want to consider, then lots of books and YouTube videos to give you pointers. You can also do as I did and take a course. Expensive to start up, if you want to make a decent job of it but works out far cheaper in the long run.

I did say that people CAN learn, I do my own dogs (though the gsdx doesn't really count cos I'm just throwing a brush over). I still stand by my points - most people don't have the experience or professional equipment, fair play if you do. :)

Nails can bleed if you hit the quick but styptic powder is cheap compared to all the grooming kit you mentioned. ;) And clippers can be just as stress free as a grinder if you're confident, quick and treat lots. If you're willing to learn to fully groom a dog, nails are simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Greyhounds. Also many people with allergies can tolerate them with no issues. Also they are low dander. Many breeds that don't shed are high dander. (skin shedding)

Also their skin produces less oils. You don't get that 'dog' smell from greyhounds as much.

Greyhounds are low allergenic. Italian greyhounds are classed actually as hypoallergenic.

All greyhound types are gentle and docile. They generally get on with children, cats and dogs.

They don't really bark much.

They are indoor dogs though. (All dogs are really). They might a little jumper during the winter. And soft bedding.

Leaving any dog in the yard for 8 hrs isn't really advisable. Please don't do it.

In the house with someone to let them out to the loo for 20 mins and then back in etc maybe.

In fact I would ask if you are working so much is there someone at home to be with the dog?

I think expecting any breed to be alone 8 hrs is a bit much.

If there are kids there or a minder etc. That is fine.

Advertisement