Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Telescopic pier rods

• 30-12-2018 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Looking to buy a new telescopic rod for boat/pier/ rock fishing. Rod and reel combo would be fine to.

Im comming up with nothing on google.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭.red.

Looking to buy a new telescopic rod for boat/pier/ rock fishing. Rod and reel combo would be fine to.

Im comming up with nothing on google.

Any recommendations?
    Telescopic rods are awful. I wouldn't touch one
    I wouldn't buy a rod for the 3 types of fishing you mentioned but if I had to it would be an uptider. You can get decent ones cheap enough if you look about.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Should Have Done Arts

.red. wrote: »
    Telescopic rods are awful. I wouldn't touch one
    I wouldn't buy a rod for the 3 types of fishing you mentioned but if I had to it would be an uptider. You can get decent ones cheap enough if you look about.

Its cheaper than getting a bigger car tho. Cheers i'll google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭.red.

Its cheaper than getting a bigger car tho. Cheers i'll google it.

3 piece rods are fantastic now. Some good ones for about €100 and better value 2nd hand.
    Their not very good/durable for pier fishing tho as the tips "can" snap from repeated lifting fish up pier walls.
    These rods are no good for boat fishing or rock fishing (if by that you mean spinning or float fishing).
    As for the boat, it depends on what you want. A lighter rod like a 12/15lb class rod will be lovely for everything but heavy fishing but it would also do a job for float/spinning.

A 20-50gram rod designed for fishing from the rocks will do on a boat if your using jellies for Pollack, wrasse,cod or bass but other than that it's not much good.

There isn't a rod designed for all 3 but the uptider would be as close as it gets, very good on a boat but useable in the other situations.

You can also fit most types of rod into a smaller car like a Corsa or a Micra these days
    A 14ft, 3piece beach rod will be 5ft lengths, anything from €100-€400
    A 2 piece lure rod will be about 4ft, anything from €40-€400
    A 2 piece boat rod will be about 3.5ft to 5ft max, roughly €20-300
    Personally I'd set a budget, go 2nd hand and try and get 3 rods to suit each situation.
    Reels are another minefield altogether. No one reel won't do each situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dmc17

The Shakespeare Agility MPV is a versatile option from the shore, pier, rocks etc. Will be a little bit too long for the boat work though. It's 10ft and comes in 3 pieces so just a bit over 3ft for transport purposes

dmc17 wrote: »
    The Shakespeare Agility MPV is a versatile option from the shore, pier, rocks etc. Will be a little bit too long for the boat work though. It's 10ft and comes in 3 pieces so just a bit over 3ft for transport purposes

Ideal!! I'll be nabbing that in the new year. May aswell get the reel to😀

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

A telescopic would suit you're chucking mackerel feather's for a few for the pan...

But if you're pinning down an 8oz grip lead at 180 yard's + with a pulley rig 4o hook and half a mackerel and planning on hauling in a tope up to the side of the pier and tailing her, then the new 3 piece rods at 100 euro plus would suffice.....

Although I landed a 48 lbs tope on an old floppy kenley popular beach caster in the early 90's at glinn in the Shannon estuary, and had a daiwa mackerel reel....

Those rods were great fun :)

nthclare wrote: »
    A telescopic would suit you're chucking mackerel feather's for a few for the pan...

But if you're pinning down an 8oz grip lead at 180 yard's + with a pulley rig 4o hook and half a mackerel and planning on hauling in a tope up to the side of the pier and tailing her, then the new 3 piece rods at 100 euro plus would suffice.....

Although I landed a 48 lbs tope on an old floppy kenley popular beach caster in the early 90's at glinn in the Shannon estuary, and had a daiwa mackerel reel....

Those rods were great fun :)

90% of my fishing is 4oz lead on a single hook pully rig for dogfish or a 20-40gram lure for pollock or bass.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

90% of my fishing is 4oz lead on a single hook pully rig for dogfish or a 20-40gram lure for pollock or bass.

Sounds like fun, caught a Pollock today off the flat's near Fanore, on a savage gear sandeel
    The lure was nearly the same size, a nice golden brown Pollock to end the year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I always see a lot if hate for telescopic rods . I've had one from aldi since 2013. Same as anything, look after it and it will be fine!

I always see a lot if hate for telescopic rods . I've had one from aldi since 2013. Same as anything, look after it and it will be fine!

Thats it, if they break just buy another.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

I don't agree that they're worth buying at all.

Usually a ring will detach from the rod and slip up or down causing the place where the ring was to snap when its under tension.
    Another issue is that sometimes rods will jam and you wont be able to get it to fit down to size again. I have a 12 ft rod sitting in the bark garden for months that I had to drive home with it sticking out the window and the top tied to he mirror of the car.

I have had probably 6 telescopic rods and every one of them snapped or jammed. By contrast I have a two-piece spinning rod in glass fibre since 1978 and its still going strong.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Just to throw out one option for telescopic rods, I got this one (previously for about double the price) and have been very happy with it. It packs away into a shoulder bag with all the gear and is very neat. No issues with quality and have had it for three years now.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0183JLOTA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jim from Cork

Dennett Outdoors are now importers for Kali Kunnan - The well known Spanish angling brand. The continentals are the real aficionados of the telescopic rod.

http://www.kalikunnan.com/en/categoria-producto/telescopic-rods/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Dennett Outdoors are now importers for Kali Kunnan - The well known Spanish angling brand. The continentals are the real aficionados of the telescopic rod.

http://www.kalikunnan.com/en/categoria-producto/telescopic-rods/

Hey Jim

Just got my catalog and was interested - Have you used this gear? How do you find it? What are the reels like?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jim from Cork

ardinn wrote: »
    Hey Jim

Just got my catalog and was interested - Have you used this gear? How do you find it? What are the reels like?

I haven't used any of them in anger. I'll be having a go off the Spanker Multi-tip rod as it will be up my alley from the boat. I had a feel off their small multiplier, more of a slow jig type reel, and it seems very well constructed.
    The rods I handled are extremely well finished, Fuji all about the place. Hopefully I'll be trying out a few of the lure rods soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

I've been using the Shimano Catana telescopic spinning rod for the last few weeks. No complaints at all but it's early days.

Advertisement