Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

that would ruin christmas - sydney hobart 2018

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Crap for the crew, inexcusable for the skipper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I'd say it's not the skipper's fault, there would be a large committee behind that entry and they had past experience of chartering that boat. Skipper would be just a jockey.
    It’s a badly written article. ‘Welded to the dock’ indeed – it used to be a notice riveted to the mast, but nowadays I guess a cable-tie would suffices! The vessel was arrested on the suit of the chartering crew, to protect them against the loss of their outgoings (AUD315K), so someone was on the ball to move that fast over Christmas and at Federal Court level. Given the relative values, the crew should not be out of pocket, as it is implied that the insurance certificate was a fake. If so, that is plain fraud by the owners/agent so we will hear more of this. But it is disappointing for the Polskis.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

I think that's the same boat (volvo 70) that some farmer chartered for the round Ireland a few years ago

Wild Oats been protested for turning off their AIS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

neris wrote: »
    Wild Oats been protested for turning off their AIS.

Often thought that for the likes of the Volvo round the world race competitors should be blind to position of others.

If Oats did intentionally turn off is a DSQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,765 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Protest has been declared invalid. They got off on a technicality, and we'll never know.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Protest has been declared invalid. They got off on a technicality, and we'll never know.....

I saw that... while I see the logic and while I agree blackjack should have lodged the protest... it frankly amazes the reluctance of a protest committee to investigate further for what is an apparent rule breech. A vessel failing to comply with a rule be it deliberate or through ignorance is no excuse.

I’ll form my own opinion since this decision is only what i could call ‘inconclusive’

Advertisement