Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fitness

• 13-12-2018 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Is there any recommendations on where to start in a career in fitness. I've no background in anything related and no idea where to begin. Can anyone recommend books ie. Biology, physiology, anatomy etc. to a course I could start in part time. Even online? Much appreciated for any support and feedback

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

If it's personal training you're looking to do then all you need is a cert that will be recognised by an insurance company. I went the college route so I can't recommend any specifically unfortunately. Any certs I've seen have a pretty poor curriculum, both from a theory and practical perspective.

In terms of books, a few good ones to start with:

Exercise Physiology (Kraemer)
    Atlas of Human Anatomy (Netter)
    NSCA Essentials of Strength and Conditioning
    Starting Strength, and Practical Programming (both by Mark Rippetoe)

In my opinion you're best going for a cheap and quick cert that will get you your insurance. Everything you need to learn to become a great coach comes from 4 things:

1) Learning from great coaches (you should intern)
    2) Reading
    3) Your own training
    4) Training other people

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

I'd recommend Image Fitness Training(IFT), the National Sports College (NCF) or the NCEF.

NCEF is recognised by Limerick Uni bit is very expensive. They're 'full-time' course is 10 hours a week and is eligible for the Susi grant. Can be done online or in Limerick.

IFT have courses around Ireland, differing times and length, more affordable. Great teachers. Really helpful. As part of the course I also did some of the workshops with Flyefit. I was offered roles with Flyefit without having to interview.

If you're around Kildare then the NSC is also good. I'm currently doing therapy courses with them but one of my classmates is doing the personal training and she's finding it brilliant.

If there's an 'Aura' near you they're now offering PT courses, and you're nearly guaranted a job with them, (especially if they know your face and like you) after as they're constantly looking for staff.

Hope that helps x

Advertisement