Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lab Suggestion for independent for food analysis

• 11-12-2018 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,

I'm planning to bring in some content online in terms of quality of food that we can buy in the supermarkets. I am in need of a Lab that could do this for me or even work on this with me proactively.

A quick example of what I need:

Let's say testing tomatoes in around 5-6 samples and checks for:

1. antioxidants
    2. possible toxins
    3. pesticides residues

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Welcome Dr.Silenec. Hopefully one of our members will have comments on how you may find a lab for your research.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

If it's regular testing there is no point in going to a lab that isnt accredited so get yourself over to INAB.ie and check out the list of accredited labs (link)
    Each lab on the list will have a scope which will outline which tests they are accredited for and the sample types they can test.

If it's more of a one off project you may get more interaction and direction from Teagasc (Food Research Centre at Ashtown in Dublin) who will have scientists that can advise on tests, sampling etc. AFAIK they do all the tests you mention and have horticulture experts on site too who know a lot about tomatoes.
    Similarly, many third level institutions will do a similar thing - UCD, UCC, DIT Cathal Brugha etc. - they might work out cheaper but may not have the breadth of knowledge that Teagasc will.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭bduffy

Shannon ABC in IT Tralee work with several supermarkets - Tim Yeomans is the contact
    Food Science and Environmental Health, DIT - Reena Barry Ryan is the contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Dr.Silenec

Thanks a lot! I'll definitely look into all the options. The tomatoes was only an example :)

Advertisement