Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Assisted technology advice

Options
  • 22-11-2018 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello my son who is 12 and is currently in six class was given a laptop because he has dyspraxia and finds it difficult to write. The laptop was given last year in another school (he just moved schools this year) ... The laptop seems to be having some problems now and the new school don’t seem to be in a position to fix it. Who is responsible for this laptop now that he is no longer in his old school? Word is on his machine but he has been locked out of it because he doesn’t have a code (it expired). I know the old school got a grant from the Department of education because he was approved assisted technology I have no idea now where to go for help with this laptop. Can anybody please point me in the right direction . Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

It probably would have been better to give it back to the old school and try to get a new one from this school.

As far as the issue goes it's not really something that is broken and needs to be fixed. It's an issue with licences. The old school have revoked his licence for using Microsoft Office, probably by stopping making the payments on it. He would need to get a copy of Microsoft Office from the new school but that may not be possible depending on how the old school configured the laptop.

You need to go to the old school for any help with it, their IT staff could be the only one's with the ability to do anything on the laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

Not sure why he still has the laptop from the old school as surely it belongs to them and should have been returned? If I was you I'd see could you get a laptop from his current school and return the other to his old school. However seeing as he is in 6th class and the school year is 3 months in they might not be able to source a laptop just to do him until June.

If he is stuck with this laptop, look to download some free office software. WPS Office is very good.

Advertisement