Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UK Championship 2018. BBC/Eurosport 27th Nov - 9th Dec

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,285 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    What just happened there? Looked like Robertson conceeded during Allens visit to the table. Thought the etiquette/gentlemanly thing to do was, wait till the visit was finished. Either way, Robertson looked like he just wanted to get to the interval, leaving Allen quite unhappy.

Interviewed afterwards Allen didn't seem too bothered by the etiquette aspect.
    The discussion between the pair was that Robertson had asked for the set of snooker balls to be changed because of slides off cushions, but Allen had refused. Presumably its a both players would have to agree thing.

Strange game, Allen lost so many frames from 50+ leads before coming through 6-5 with back to back tonnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Interviewed afterwards Allen didn't seem too bothered by the etiquette aspect.
    The discussion between the pair was that Robertson had asked for the set of snooker balls to be changed because of slides off cushions, but Allen had refused. Presumably its a both players would have to agree thing.

Strange game, Allen lost so many frames from 50+ leads before coming through 6-5 with back to back tonnes.

Crazy really that he had to go to a decider. Potted twice as many balls, scored twice as many points and still only 6-5. Robertson had a pot success rate of 79% - you’d normally expect to be wiped off the table at this level with that figure!

Allen will be relieved to get through but doubt he’ll go a lot further if he doesn’t step it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,201 ✭✭✭tanko

Will this finish before tomorrows matches start?

Thought Fergals frame record might be in danger there for a while. Extra incentive for trump to beat perry tomorrow- he gets to play ford in qf. Couldn’t see him losing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

I gave him some time, but...I can't stand Shaun Murphy on commentary. When he's explaining something, he does so very well, but most of the rest of the time he's trying to sound dramatic, and his voice goes high. Really high. At one point last night I'm pretty sure only dogs could hear him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Joe Perry has beaten Judd Trump 6-4, and now plays Tom Ford in the quarters.

Ding Junhui is currently 3-5 down against Martin O'Donnell, with the winner to face Ronnie O'Sullivan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Trump :rolleyes:

Hes never going to be the man is he?

Edit - same for Ding.

Thought both of these lads were supposed to dominate snooker for 20 years?

World number 56 Martin O'Donnell beats Ding 6-4.

Ronnie just has to beat O'Donnell and either Perry or Ford now to get to the final.

The Nal wrote: »
    Trump :rolleyes:

Hes never going to be the man is he?

Edit - same for Ding.

Thought both of these lads were supposed to dominate snooker for 20 years?

it's not really happening for either of them, is it.

Ding is now the same age Davis was when he won his sixth and last world title. And we're still waiting for Ding to get his first.

it's not really happening for either of them, is it.

Ding is now the same age Davis was when he won his sixth and last world title. And we're still waiting for Ding to get his first.

And a year older than Hendry when he won his 7th. Trump is about the same age.

I know snooker players peak later now but I think Ronnie was right when he basically said no one has the balls to take on the number 1 spot long term outside of the obvious few players.

Ronnie is 18 centuries off 1000 now. When are we thinking he makes it to 1000?

• Advertisement

Didn’t see ding match but very disappointed with trump who managed to fritter away a commanding start. Just when you think he’s set to turn the corner and start delivering big, he goes and puts in a stinker like that. I still have a bit of faith in him yet, more than ding at least who just doesn’t seem to want it badly enough. Maybe a less talented guy like wilson with his superior desire will come through and supplant them both.

I think what a lot of snooker shows us now is how great that 1992 generation was and is - ronnie, higgins, williams and the rest of them. And of course Hendry who set the bar for them.

It’s fairly clear the generation after them isn’t measuring up very well and it’s hard to have all that much faith in the one coming either. There may be several reasons for that. Snooker isn’t as popular now as it was when the older guys were growing up, I’m not sure the young guys learn the game in the same way or practice as diligently. Seem to be less capable of playing under extreme duress too. Just general thoughts really, but no wonder ronnie thinks he can play on till his 50s cos there really isn’t anything frightening appearing in his wing mirror as of yet anyway.

I think what a lot of snooker shows us now is how great that 1992 generation was and is - ronnie, higgins, williams and the rest of them. And of course Hendry who set the bar for them.

It’s fairly clear the generation after them isn’t measuring up very well and it’s hard to have all that much faith in the one coming either. There may be several reasons for that. Snooker isn’t as popular now as it was when the older guys were growing up, I’m not sure the young guys learn the game in the same way or practice as diligently. Seem to be less capable of playing under extreme duress too. Just general thoughts really, but no wonder ronnie thinks he can play on till his 50s cos there really isn’t anything frightening appearing in his wing mirror as of yet anyway.

I think the days of 16 and 17 year old breaking onto the scene and challenging are over maybe. Kids have go to school now. Jimmy White for example was illiterate when he turned pro.

Although there are one or two possibly coming through. Sean Maddocks being one. We keep hearing about Chinese players but I haven't seen any really outstanding players come out of China recently but its only a matter of time with the setup and population they have there.

As an aside, can Ronnie play Kyren Wilson in the final?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

The slow death of the local arcade/snooker hall has had a huge effect. Kids these days aren't exposed to Snooker unless they intentionally seek it out...years ago you'd likely be in an arcade and see a few tables, your interest would be peaked etc

I think the days of 16 and 17 year old breaking onto the scene and challenging are over maybe. Kids have go to school now. Jimmy White for example was illiterate when he turned pro.

Although there are one or two possibly coming through. Sean Maddocks being one. We keep hearing about Chinese players but I haven't seen any really outstanding players come out of China recently but its only a matter of time with the setup and population they have there.

I’d say there’s some truth in that alright. Maybe take another generation or even two for the chinese effect to really take hold, some of the younger players look exciting but don’t seem to have fully developed matchplay games. That could come with experience and better coaching etc

Ronnie and Kyren are in different half so could be the final. Kyren has a fairly tough passage left though.

Inviere wrote: »
    The slow death of the local arcade/snooker hall has had a huge effect. Kids these days aren't exposed to Snooker unless they intentionally seek it out...years ago you'd likely be in an arcade and see a few tables, your interest would be peaked etc

Spot on. The number of snooker clubs has probably declined by around 80% since the 90s. I recall at least 3 on or just off O’Connell st alone. Hard to know what to do for the sport to combat that and make the sport available and affordable for kids. Ken does a good job up in terenure but it needs a lot more than that.

Yes. Looks like Wilson will play Bingham in the quarterfinals with the winner to play Allen or Maguire in the semis.

Ronnie has a much easier route to the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Great second season from Wilson tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Trump needs a kick in the ass.
    Bet he rewards himself with a few days in the sun after that defeat. At least that is what he used to be at.

Very solid from wilson, take a good performance to beat him here which didn’t come from hawkins anyway. How many chances did he butcher that match?

• Advertisement

Today's quarterfinals...

1 pm
    Ronnie O'Sullivan vs Martin O'Donnell
    Joe Perry vs Tom Ford

7 pm
    Stuart Bingham vs Kyren Wilson
    Mark Allen vs Stephen Maguire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

And Ding hasn't won a ranking title in 15 months, World Open - Sep '17, and hasn't made a final since that in 10 months, World Grand Prix - Feb '18. He's #8 on the official two-year ranking list, but...he's down at #31 for this season alone.
    Yes, and things could mirror 2017.

Champion of Champions 2017: Shaun Murphy defeats Ronnie O'Sullivan.
    UK Championship 2017: Ronnie O'Sullivan defeats Shaun Murphy.

Champion of Champions 2018: Ronnie O'Sullivan defeats Kyren Wilson.
    UK Championship 2018: Kyren Wilson v (defeats?) Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Ronnie hasn't exactly been tested in this tournament.

He could get to the final by beating Luke Simmonds (amateur), Ken Doherty (ranked 65), Zhou Yuelong (32), Jack Lisowski (17), Martin O'Donnell (56), and Joe Perry (21)/Tom Ford (36).

In other words, he could reach the final without meeting a top-16 opponent.

Wilson will have faced tougher opposition if he gets to the final. He's already beaten Barry Hawkins (6). He now faces Bingham (14) and would then have to beat Allen (7) or Maguire (15).

I fancy a Ronnie/Wilson or Ronnie/Allen final.

Ronnie will have the bit between his teeth though because (a) it would be a record-setting 7th UK title for him, and (b) if he's serious about this alternative tour, he wants to remain the man to beat.

Dunno why but ronnie just seems to have a gift for getting nice draws. He reached the sf of English Open having played highest ranked player 49 before losing to 30-something ranked Mark Davis. In Belfast didn’t face a top player until selby in sf. Way it goes I suppose.

There’s still a big intimation factor for other players facing him, particularly young guys like Wilson and Lisowski who would have grown up in awe of him. Wilson had a chance in the champion of champions so would be interesting to see how he fares if he gets another chance here. Have a feeling bingham might be a fly in the ointment though, looks to be playing and cueing well at the moment.

He got lucky to a point. Higgins, McGill, Trump, Ding, and Murphy were all in his half of the draw, and all took themselves out of contention by losing to lower-ranked opposition.

He got lucky to a point. Higgins, McGill, Trump, Ding, and Murphy were all in his half of the draw, and all took themselves out of contention by losing to lower-ranked opposition.

That’s true, he can’t control what takes place on other tables. I wouldn’t have fancied any of those to beat him, bar possibly trump who generally seems to be able to raise his game against ronnie but is as likely to lose to a relative journeyman. Higgins doesn’t appear to be himself this past while and talking of retirement, McGill I’ve never really rated all that highly.

1-1 between Ronnie and Martin O'Donnell. Ronnie unhappy about people coming in and out of the arena during play.

Think Ronnie’s right to be pissed off sbout it, been like that all week. Not really good enough for a major tournament.

Ronnie does not look settled out there today at all. He's going to win this match because O'Donnell simply doesn't have the class to beat him.

BBC has Barry Hearn on now to give his response to O'Sullivan's comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Who are the slow players Hearn is on about?

Advertisement