Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green book

• 17-11-2018 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

saw the trailer for this in the cinema, looks like it should be an interesting movie. release date here feb 2019

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭Heckler

Watched this today. I'm sure there was a lot of artistic licence taken but the whole movie was a treat. And a true story.

An italian-american thug takes on the job of driving a black pianist around the deep south for a concert tour in the early 60's.

Despite their differences a mutual respect and friendship is formed.

A fantastic performance by Viggo Mortensen (always one of my favourite actors) and Mahershala Ali (who I never heard of before but will be watching out for. He was brilliant).

Directed by Peter Farrelly of Dumb and Dumber and Something about Mary fame proving he can do more than just crude (and funny !) movies.

9/10. Loved it.

Edit: Trailer doesn't do it justice at all. Its far more nuanced than a fish out of water/road trip film.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,184 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Screener season is here.

Looking forward to watching this when I get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭Heckler

Catch it while you can. Its great. Its going to have a lot of critics because of how its done but look its a heart warming film. If you like movies like the french Intouchables you'll love it.

I just finished watching this and I absolutely loved it! I haven't enjoyed a movie this much in ages. Fantastic performances by both Mahershala and Viggo.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Very enjoyable film, the two leads are excellent. I could sit my mother down in front of this and she'd love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

I think this was my favourite film of all that I watched this year. Outstanding performances, and a really surprising turn from Peter Farrelly. I'm a huge fan of Viggo, with Eastern Promises being my favourite performance of his. He just inhabits his roles. In this Ali is every bit his equal. Heartwarming, revealing, and at turns moving and funny, this film deserves any accolades it should get.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

pinksoir wrote: »
    I think this was my favourite film of all that I watched this year. Outstanding performances, and a really surprising turn from Peter Farrelly. I'm a huge fan of Viggo, with Eastern Promises being my favourite performance of his. He just inhabits his roles. In this Ali is every bit his equal. Heartwarming, revealing, and at turns moving and funny, this film deserves any accolades it should get.

This year eh? All 16 and a half hours of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

This year eh? All 16 and a half hours of it.

Ha. Yeah, I've been busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Absolute gem of a movie, best I've seen in quite a while. Hopefully it gets the recognition it deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Amberjack

Watched this the other night, I’m very hard to please with movies but really enjoyed it and the two leads are excellent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Enjoyed it immensely but my main concern is more a question of how accurate it was. Shirley's family have called it out in relation to it so the controversy left me concerned about it from that perspective.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Just finished this, wow! What a movie. Far and away the best of the Oscar contenders I've seen so far. As already mentioned, Viggo Mortensen and Mahershala Ali were both terrific. A wonderful movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

That looks so good, i just got it to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Deisler

Enjoyable harmless flik. Passes the time well. Obviously out in time for Oscar season.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,330 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is this a comedy?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is this a comedy?

Not a comedy per se but a feel good movie with some lovely funny/sweet moments. Not a laugh out loud rolling in the ailes film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

I avoided this up until now as it is that time of year when hollow Oscar bait is released, e.g. Hidden Figures from last year but this is actually quite good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

rivegauche wrote: »
    I avoided this up until now as it is that time of year when hollow Oscar bait is released, e.g. Hidden Figures from last year but this is actually quite good.

I preferred Hidden Figures overall to this. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭Shred

I saw this at a free preview last week and both my friend and I really enjoyed it. I think I might go to see it again with the wife once it's on general release.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Saw it last night and really enjoyed it. Viggo and Ali were excellent as usual. Liv e viggos accent . He did a good job on it! Feel good movie and typical Oscar bait but one of the better ones I've seen in the last few months.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Clearly Oscar bait, but very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Despite the schmaltz and predictability it's a lovely movie that should tug at the heartstrings of even the most jaded and cynical among us.

Central performance and script are very good. Race relations are not oversimplified and are explored in a very clever way, nuanced by background, personal choice, class and intolerance in general.

The development of the central relationship, where prejudices are replaced by understanding of imperfections, and friendship, is a tad inauthentic.

7.5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Just finished the movie now. It was absolutely fantastic. I would highly recommend it to everyone. I though both Mahershala Ali and Viggo Mortensen were fantastic
    9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 28,379 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Saw this today and overall I enjoyed it.

It has many flaws, in being entirely predictable and cheesy but it's the performances of the two leads (or one lead and one support according to The Academy) that really carry the film and take it to a level that this script and direction don't really warrant.

It's a totally enjoyable crowd-pleaser that is good during it's light-hearted moments but for me it hits trouble when it tackles the more serous issues such as racism and discrimination. For me it just seemed to lose its way with in those scenes and just resorted to stereotypes rather than really explore the issue in a serious way.

It's the relationship though between the two lads though that is central to the story and they put so much into their parts that you can't help but enjoy it and it makes the whole film worthwhile.

Last act felt like a remake of Planes Trains and Automobiles though and was too sentimental for me.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Saw this today and overall I enjoyed it.

It has many flaws, in being entirely predictable and cheesy but it's the performances of the two leads (or one lead and one support according to The Academy) that really carry the film and take it to a level that this script and direction don't really warrant.

It's a totally enjoyable crowd-pleaser that is good during it's light-hearted moments but for me it hits trouble when it tackles the more serous issues such as racism and discrimination. For me it just seemed to lose its way with in those scenes and just resorted to stereotypes rather than really explore the issue in a serious way.

It's the relationship though between the two lads though that is central to the story and they put so much into their parts that you can't help but enjoy it and it makes the whole film worthwhile.

Last act felt like a remake of Planes Trains and Automobiles though and was too sentimental for me.

In what way would you like the racism and discrimination to be explored in more serious way?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,379 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

cmac2009 wrote: »
    In what way would you like the racism and discrimination to be explored in more serious way?

By having better scenes than a black person being hassled in a bar or not being allowed to use a toilet or buy a suit.

Something that has been done in other movies and I found it quite clunky and predictable in this film.
    The main character's own racist views at the start of the film are not fully tackled as it just disappeared in the scene when he first meets his new boss.

Also, showing how police harrassed them in the south but were very helpful when back in North US was very cheesy to me.

murpho999 wrote: »
    By having better scenes than a black person being hassled in a bar or not being allowed to use a toilet or buy a suit.

Something that has been done in other movies and I found it quite clunky and predictable in this film.
    The main character's own racist views at the start of the film are not fully tackled as it just disappeared in the scene when he first meets his new boss.

Also, showing how police harrassed them in the south but were very helpful when back in North US was very cheesy to me.

Predictable maybe, but that's just how it was at the time perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Saw it yesterday.
    It is a feel-good movie and it definitely hits that spot for me.
    It also makes you curious in finding out the true story and read up about it, which is a big plus these days when history is being forgotten.
    The two leads give great performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Not a comedy per se but a feel good movie with some lovely funny/sweet moments. Not a laugh out loud rolling in the ailes film.

The girl in the radio advert says she was annoying other people she was laughing that much.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I'm going to see it on Friday

Advertisement