Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fleetwood Mac - RDS

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Christine is 75. Would you want to be touring at 77 or 78.

I doubt if they'll tour again.

If she still wants to and is in good health there’s nothing to stop her. Look at Mick Jagger.
    And no I wouldn’t.. but that’s probably because nobody would want to see or hear that :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Saw the full band in 2015 so that makes me happy. Very good crowd up there last night tbf going by social media

Same just loved that gig from start to finish and very happy i seen them altogether in 2015. Yea the gig itself seems to be getting loads of praise online , i got my Fleetwood Mac fix before xmas when Mack Fleetwood(would highly recommend going to see them as they are fantastic) were in Newbridge so im happy, but if had the money i prob would have bitten the bullet and grabbed a ticket ha

• Registered Users Posts: 37,763 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Same just loved that gig from start to finish and very happy i seen them altogether in 2015. Yea the gig itself seems to be getting loads of praise online , i got my Fleetwood Mac fix before xmas when Mack Fleetwood(would highly recommend going to see them as they are fantastic) were in Newbridge so im happy, but if had the money i prob would have bitten the bullet and grabbed a ticket ha

follow that tribute band on facebook. Playing a gig tonight in Athlone could be hoping for them

Fibbers are great for having tribute bands playing the night before/after the real thing plays gigs. Pretty cool

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭endainoz

6 if you count that they took 2 songs out and substituted with covers.

It's been the same setlist all tour so there was no surprise there. Not really sure why the start time was made a half an hour earlier, but plenty of notice was given for people. I got an email from Ticketmaster at 2.30 yesterday afternoon and to be fair it suited our crew better as we had a long journey home after. The Pretenders seemed to really rush through their set alright, Chrissy didn't seem to happy about it. It was still very unique seeing McGowan out there with them but I'm still not sure how I felt about it.

What beer is available in the venue ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Rockshore, Guinness, bulmers, wine, prosecco & I think a Gordon's pre mixed can.

FitzShane wrote: »
    Rockshore, Guinness, bulmers, wine, prosecco & I think a Gordon's pre mixed can.

Rockshore feck

Not too bad I suppose I'll have a few tasters tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 28,364 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

That's some shlte. Part of the draw for these type of gigs is the night time element that you generally get for the last hour. A sort of romance to it, created partly by the stage lighting. To finish just after 10 is just wrong. Should be just kicking off in 5th speed at that time.

Certainly, the big screens from Free Falling onwards made a big difference, particularly at the encore. Maybe even the 8.30pm start would have made a difference.

However, after a quick dash up to Donnybrook we got into Nearys before the crowd for a couple of pints. We got to watch the crowds pouring in, soaked in their raincoats and ponchos as the heavens opened. So if they had started later, the encore just might have been a bit of a washout. Fortunately, the rain had eased off by the time I headed for the Luas.

Worth the effort. Brilliant show!
    Chrissy and Pretenders were superb. Look, Shane has been struggling for many years but he seemed to get a huge kick from the audience response to him as he was wheeled away!
    The Mac were massive! Great start to the Show with The Chain........
    Made reference to, and played a couple of Peter Green songs, but, l was surprised they didn't mention Lindsey at all??
    The section with Mick F on solo drums was outrageous. What energy. Of course, he was in his element. What a Showman!!!!!
    Christine was also terrific. BUT, Stevie. What a Legend. Voice on point. 17 years of age.
    She did struggle with the Irish climate, though. She was hardly able to carry all the extra clothing she was adding as the evening went on.....
    She knows how to woo a crowd.
    Loved every second of it.
    Sound was perfect where we were(Gold circle.... Only ticket option as well.)
    Was at Gig in Aviva a few years ago. The echo/reverb was horrendous. Couldn't even understand what artists were saying between songs!
    Nothing like that last night.
    Brilliant show last night................. :)
    I could have written most of this myself. Pretenders were great, Chrissie's voice hasn't changed a jot. For those who say that Shane was out of it, he's been out of it since 1986. I thought it was a very tender moment, genuinely respectful of Shane's heritage.

The Mac were right on form. Mick's infectious good humour carried the night, though his ten minute solo and more. He really really seems to be having a ball.

The sound was OK, about half way back on the pitch. I couldn't work out much of Stevie's chat. The crowd around me insisted on singing along to pretty much every line of every song. I was disappointed, expecting them to shut up and let me sing loudly, off key out of tempo and mumbling the many words that I don't really know, but they wouldn't. So it turned in to a bit of a good humoured singalong rather than music purist show.

As others have noted, the crowd was surprisingly young. There were four young 20-something ladies beside us, all fake tan, perfect teeth and eyebrows who knew every word of every track and screamed with delight as they recognised each intro. They were doing their ravey-dancey-pointy-fingery thing all night, and again their good humour was somewhat infectious. There seemed to be loads of NornIron folks around, including the lad beside me that I spotted with a small metal spoon held to his nose. Must have needed some extra salt on his chips, I guess.

Free Falling was a bit of a highlight for me. I loved Stevie's Bella Donna solo album that had a lot of Tom Petty and a good bunch of Heartbreakers involved. So it was great to see the images going back to that time of Tom and Stevie, a nice tribute to Tom.

All in all, a great night, and I really doubt if they'll be back this way again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Hardly snowflakey to make legitimate complaints about piss poor organisation and the fact that the RDS is a very poor venue. Going for a drink and a piss taking the guts of 30 mins is a bit beyond the pale. It took longer for girls as well. All fair enough complaints.

All that aside, great gig. Fleetwood Mac were all on form.
    If it took 30 minutes for a bloke to get to the jacks and back, it's his own fault. There were lots of toilets there. I went twice and was back on the pitch in less than five minutes. And I passed about five drinks vendors on the way.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I was surprised at the age profile of the crowd. The crowd around us were pretty young. Myself and the missus are mid 30s and we seemed to be the oldest in our immediate area. Some of the women were dressed optimistically for the evening. Other people were wearing winter jackets and hats. I loved Neil Finn's green scarf :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Tommo3434343

PaulieC wrote: »
    If it took 30 minutes for a bloke to get to the jacks and back, it's his own fault. There were lots of toilets there. I went twice and was back on the pitch in less than five minutes. And I passed about five drinks vendors on the way.
    If you say so. Me and the people I've talked to (as well as some of the people posting here) must have been imagining the long wait times for toilets, drinks and the poor organisation. Snowflakes all.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭colmufc

If you say so. Me and the people I've talked to (as well as some of the people posting here) must have been imagining the long wait times for toilets, drinks and the poor organisation. Snowflakes all.

Just been to a packed bon Jovi and I'm wondering how it took 30 mins 3 women I were with all went in and out for pees and were right up the front and they were 10-15 at most and the women's always have ques , I didn't see a que at any bar more than 5 mins and there moving fairly quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

colmufc wrote: »
    Just been to a packed bon Jovi and I'm wondering how it took 30 mins 3 women I were with all went in and out for pees and were right up the front and they were 10-15 at most and the women's always have ques , I didn't see a que at any bar more than 5 mins and there moving fairly quickly
    I've heard from 3 different people there was hassle with queues too.
    One went a little further and said 'queueing ages to get in, area was cramped, poor views of stage - sound was not good at all and the bar was usual useless peddling otherwise non saleable product, queues felt non stop.'

The views and sound may have had a lot to do with where they were standing, but for the prices they charge you would expect better.
    I'm not a fan of the RDS anyway, 4 out 5 gigs weren't good for me, but still disappointing to hear that many people didn't enjoy Fleetwood Mac.
    Afaik, Bon Jovi didn't sell out, even with the free tickets on 3 app.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭colmufc

Suckit wrote: »
    I've heard from 3 different people there was hassle with queues too.
    One went a little further and said 'queueing ages to get in, area was cramped, poor views of stage - sound was not good at all and the bar was usual useless peddling otherwise non saleable product, queues felt non stop.'

The views and sound may have had a lot to do with where they were standing, but for the prices they charge you would expect better.
    I'm not a fan of the RDS anyway, 4 out 5 gigs weren't good for me, but still disappointing to hear that many people didn't enjoy Fleetwood Mac.
    Afaik, Bon Jovi didn't sell out, even with the free tickets on 3 app.

The Saturday night was a sell out it's the Sunday show where sales are low but still expected around the 80% sold rate
    There are 2 sections on the grass area outside the anglesea stand and the gold circle side was busier but literally 5 mins wait for everything at most I honestly have no idea how your sources were taking so long

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

The Saturday night was a sell out it's the Sunday show where sales are low but still expected around the 80% sold rate
    There are 2 sections on the grass area outside the anglesea stand and the gold circle side was busier but literally 5 mins wait for everything at most I honestly have no idea how your sources were taking so long

I couldn't tell you, unfortunately I wasn't at it. Even with the queueing and bar (along with the fact that the RDS wouldn't be my venue of choice), I still would have loved to have been able to go. I was hoping right up to the day before, when it was 100% confirmed I wouldn't be able to.

That's good that you had a better experience. I'm not getting the reason for a few people in this thread disputing other peoples experience. The RDS is a very poor venue and the whole thing was poorly run in my view. That's not an uncommon opinion from people I've spoken to and people in this thread. It's weird to me that people are arguing against other people in this threads experience of the event. As though everyone's conspiring to slate the RDS for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I had the most fantastic time at the Concert!!!

Firstly, myself and my friend were there for 18:05 so no queueing at all - apart from about 1 minute as they checked bags. Everyone welcoming and friendly. We were able to go straight to loo - no queues. And sat down in stands, though sit is the wrong word - as we were in Row X which is the back row, we were up dancing through all of the Pretenders and Fleetwood Mac.

What really got me was having to battle through crowds on pavements outside pubs on way to venue - and thinking to myself they don't understand that 18:30 start for Pretenders is just that - so the place was pretty empty for Chrissie and the boys. She put on a brill performance - as always.

Then Fleetwood Mac went on at 20:00 on the dot - as ticket holders had been advised. And we enjoyed every moment. But from where we were sitting could see so many people turning up late. Missing 30 minutes of Fleetwood Mac and all of the Pretenders seems like an awful waste of time and money. To me Stevie Nicks is a Goddess! She just stole the show. Mick Fleetwood was in great form - and seemed to really enjoy himself. I thought Neil Finn was fantastic so hearing a Crowded House song was another highlight for me. The tribute to Tom Petty was just wonderful and I was really hoping to hear Stevie singing "Stop Dragging my heart....." alas. So between Neil Finn and Mike Campbell from the Heartbreakers, I was quite elated.

It's great if you can enjoy a drink at a concert/gig - but it isn't my priority - I would rather be there to enjoy the music I've spent a lot of money to hear. But seeing people walking back to their seats - hands full with bottles - and then of course, the more you drink, the more you need to use the loos. Methinx there could be an easy solution - to all the queueing for drinks and loos - "drink less" and you won't miss anything.

It was pretty damned cold in Dublin - but seasoned concert goers turned up in their layers, jackets and a lot of wooly hats. But I couldn't believe the amount of young ones parading about in floaty summer dresses and posing for pics - they must have been Freezing.

I expect I'll now be banned for ever more - or slated from the highest point - but I don't care - I had the most fantastic time. We travelled up from Cork and have been to the RDS previously. We'll also be going up for the Foo Fighters and already excited. People think is it a night on the Pxxx you want in which case go to the local pub or a night at a fantastic concert???

Judes wrote: »
    I had the most fantastic time at the Concert!!!

Firstly, myself and my friend were there for 18:05 so no queueing at all - apart from about 1 minute as they checked bags. Everyone welcoming and friendly. We were able to go straight to loo - no queues. And sat down in stands, though sit is the wrong word - as we were in Row X which is the back row, we were up dancing through all of the Pretenders and Fleetwood Mac.

What really got me was having to battle through crowds on pavements outside pubs on way to venue - and thinking to myself they don't understand that 18:30 start for Pretenders is just that - so the place was pretty empty for Chrissie and the boys. She put on a brill performance - as always.

Then Fleetwood Mac went on at 20:00 on the dot - as ticket holders had been advised. And we enjoyed every moment. But from where we were sitting could see so many people turning up late. Missing 30 minutes of Fleetwood Mac and all of the Pretenders seems like an awful waste of time and money. To me Stevie Nicks is a Goddess! She just stole the show. Mick Fleetwood was in great form - and seemed to really enjoy himself. I thought Neil Finn was fantastic so hearing a Crowded House song was another highlight for me. The tribute to Tom Petty was just wonderful and I was really hoping to hear Stevie singing "Stop Dragging my heart....." alas. So between Neil Finn and Mike Campbell from the Heartbreakers, I was quite elated.

It's great if you can enjoy a drink at a concert/gig - but it isn't my priority - I would rather be there to enjoy the music I've spent a lot of money to hear. But seeing people walking back to their seats - hands full with bottles - and then of course, the more you drink, the more you need to use the loos. Methinx there could be an easy solution - to all the queueing for drinks and loos - "drink less" and you won't miss anything.

It was pretty damned cold in Dublin - but seasoned concert goers turned up in their layers, jackets and a lot of wooly hats. But I couldn't believe the amount of young ones parading about in floaty summer dresses and posing for pics - they must have been Freezing.

I expect I'll now be banned for ever more - or slated from the highest point - but I don't care - I had the most fantastic time. We travelled up from Cork and have been to the RDS previously. We'll also be going up for the Foo Fighters and already excited. People think is it a night on the Pxxx you want in which case go to the local pub or a night at a fantastic concert???
    Banned? Slightly ridiculous. It's honestly great that you had such a good experience. My experience of the gig itself was fantastic. Fleetwood Mac were brilliant. But again, it's okay that not everyone shared your experience and felt that the gig was poorly organised. Differing experiences are okay. I don't get the need for some people in this thread (not necessarily you) that try to invalidate other peoples views on the event. It's like any little criticism is completely unwelcome in this thread.

Christine McVie has passed away

sad news to report, my condolences too everyone affected

Was lucky to see the classic lineup including Christine in 2015, a great artist

• Advertisement

So sad to hear about Christine, fabulous artist, definitely one of my favourites.R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Very grateful to have been at this gig now

Yea the 3Arena gig a few years ago was magical and to hear songbird live was glorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Mazzy Star

RIP Songbird.

Advertisement