Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Phd grant

Options
  • 20-10-2018 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

I'm considering doing a Phd in archeology. Can anyone tell me when the living allowance/grant stops? I'm thinking maybe upon graduation?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Diggity2018

Would love to know if anyone has experience in this with a PHD in ireland? Especially Nuig?
    Thanks

Would love to know if anyone has experience in this with a PHD in ireland? Especially Nuig?
    Thanks

Entirely depends on the specific grant funding your PhD, but considering people tend to graduate months after completing their PhD studies, I'd be very surprised if a grant continued paying until then. Once you've finished your thesis/been examined you'd be free to get a job so most only pay for a certain number of years (usually 3-4 if full time) and it's up to you to finish it in time. Most PhD students I've known have only just about gotten their theses submitted before their grant ran out, had to ask for an extension or wrote up their thesis after their funding ran out. None were continuing to receive funding up until graduating.

Really if considering a PhD you need to be doing a lot more research into this, including the specifics of any funding you might be applying for. Funding is extremely competitive and a PhD is a huge undertaking, not to be entered into blindly.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

The IRC postgraduate scholarship runs out at the end of fourth year, regardless of whether you've submitted or not. The same is true of the Galway Doctoral Scholarship which is the internal arts and humanities funding scheme in NUIG. Neither continues till graduation.

Advertisement