Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Selling crafts online & at markets/events - Insurance?

• 04-10-2018 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi there! :)

I'm a third level student and I greatly enjoy crafting in my spare time. I make a lot of home décor things using MDF wood, such as little 25cm personalised plaques for children's bedrooms. I also make fabric covered or decoupaged MDF letters that can be freestanding or hung on a wall, and I make a lot of family tree frames. Also make a few teddy bears and memory bears.

I'm very interested in selling some of these online, such as on Etsy or Facebook, and attending some local markets or fairs. I understand I would need product liability insurance for selling and public liability insurance for selling at events, but would I need to be a registered "official" business also?

I'd love any advice or guidance on this as I've no real idea where to start! I would love if this works out as it's a hobby that I can fit in well around college and my job. The money would be great as I'm saving for the post-grad I hope to do next year.

Any advice, help or guidance is greatly appreciated! Thanks so much. Have a good one! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Mod note:

Hi there,

I'll leave this here for a few days, let's see if you get any answers. If you don't, I'll move the thread for you over to the Banking & Insurance & Pension forum. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

As soon as you make a cent you need to be registered as self employed. You also need to register a business name. We sell at fairs and got in contact with MAST for insurance. They also send out weekly emails about fairs in every county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Also check that you're items like bears don't need to be CE tested or anything for under 3 yrs old had much more stringent rules

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ChippySun

As soon as you make a cent you need to be registered as self employed. You also need to register a business name. We sell at fairs and got in contact with MAST for insurance. They also send out weekly emails about fairs in every county.

Hi Dori_Dormer, thank you so much for your response! Greatly appreciated. :)

I've got in contact with MAST this week and I'm just waiting for their response regarding insurance cover. I honestly don't plan on making a huge amount at all on the craft products for year, so do you think I would still need to register as self-employed? I'm currently in third-level education so I'm not sure if registering as self-employed would change my financial aid situation.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Ring Revenue, they'll tell you what the rules and the upper limits (if any) are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭Gormal

Hi Etsy Ireland have a facebook page and 2 groups, one for chat and advice and one for meet the makers they would be able to answer your questions in the chat & advice group.

New Home wrote: »
    Ring Revenue, they'll tell you what the rules and the upper limits (if any) are.

Will do, thank you!

Gormal wrote: »
    Hi Etsy Ireland have a facebook page and they would be able to answer your questions in the chat & advice group.

Thanks very much, Gormal. Had a look at these and unfortunately I can't join until I have an actively running Etsy shop, which I don't have yet. Definitely will check back on these pages in the future, though! Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

MAST are great. I was with them all the many years I was street trading.. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Gingy_Ste

ChippySun wrote: »
    Will do, thank you!
    I'm looking at a similar situation and wanted to know what you managed to find out. MAST seem to be that way to go with the insurance but what did you find out about setting up a small business that earns so little?

Do you have to register with revenue? (I assume so)
    and what taxes will you have to pay and what are their limits?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Gingy_Ste wrote: »
    I'm looking at a similar situation and wanted to know what you managed to find out. MAST seem to be that way to go with the insurance but what did you find out about setting up a small business that earns so little?

Do you have to register with revenue? (I assume so)
    and what taxes will you have to pay and what are their limits?

A lot depends on where you intend selling? Towns etc will have licences and will explain all the other elements to you. Or Citizen's Info?

Advertisement