Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now ye're talking - to a council engineer

2»

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 15 Verified rep I'm a Council Engineer, AMA

rameire wrote: »
    Is your workload mainly constrained due to budgetary controls or is there monies set aside for good projects that just pop up.
    The work that you complete, does it have to get passed by people who haven't a clue what they are doing first? Thus reducing the overall effect of what you could be doing?

Everything has to be budgeted and accounted for. There are funds set aside for projects as they arise also.

The work I do is always passed onto a wide range of people. Some in my fields and some not, there are always people that want changes.

Who's responsible for maintaining drains and shores? The ones in Dublin city are always blocked

If its within the pubic domain , its local authority. if its on private property, the landowner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Did you join a trade union?

Do you have flexi time?

Have you had to answer questions in the Council Chamber from local councilors?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Does every bit of work have a job number, a budget, a timeframe, a boss, underllings, and is there a review afterwards?
    Have they every thrown a party / barbecue for a job well done?

HonalD wrote: »
    Did you join a trade union?

Do you have flexi time?

Have you had to answer questions in the Council Chamber from local councilors?

I do have flexi time, a good option but for me its easier to have a set time personally.

I do not have to answer questions in the council chamber.

• Advertisement

Does every bit of work have a job number, a budget, a timeframe, a boss, underllings, and is there a review afterwards?
    Have they every thrown a party / barbecue for a job well done?

Well everything we do is assigned to a job, there is a schedule to work to. Just like privately, everything gets checked my boss. Reviews are important parts of projects in order to improve. Ive never heard of underllings.

Ive never been part of a party or bbq for a job well done. Fridays drinks after work among some colleagues is common but nothing to do with the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Why is nearly every manhole in this country not level with the road? There is either a dip, or a protusion, and both can damage the wheels on cars.

Edit: Shout-out to all the cyclists who nearly broke their neck on the back of a shoddy manhole installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Czhornet

Do you have a schedule in place for road gully cleaning? Preventative maintenance helps a lot, instead of getting loads of irate calls about road flooding!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,792 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I'm thinking of replacing the berm that runs along the road in front of the house, with a solid wall made from concrete block, covered in the sandstone that is used on walls throughout the area including other parts of our property. Is council approval needed for this sort of work? It (the wall) would be entirely on our property and neighbors around us have similar walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Tow

kceire wrote: »
    The 25 Sq. M exemption for sheds is based on the internal floor area.

Like you, I initially through it was 25sqm of the internal area (as for house extensions). But, after a neighbour got into trouble and from reading the regs in more detail, the limit for sheds appears to be the external area.

In reality it seems to vary from Co Co to Co Co and the actual inspector who comes out for a look. :confused:

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭horse7

Can you please explain the journey of rain water from the moment it falls on the roof of a house to where it finishes please?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

What grade are you?

Are you permanent or on a fixed-term/specific or temporary contract?

Are you in some kind of General Design section? Or are you in Roads?

How long have you worked in your local authority?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

Tow wrote: »
    The 25 Sq. M exemption for sheds is based on the internal floor area.

Like you, I initially through it was 25sqm of the internal area (as for house extensions). But, after a neighbour got into trouble and from reading the regs in more detail, the limit for sheds appears to be the external area.

In reality it seems to vary from Co Co to Co Co and the actual inspector who comes out for a look. :confused:

If in doubt get a Section 5 Declaration from your Planning Authority (for exempted development)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Like you, I initially through it was 25sqm of the internal area (as for house extensions).

I can confirm its internal floor area. I never initially thought it was anything else.
    You can build a garage, carport, shed, greenhouse, kennel for domestic pets etc., as long as it does not extend out in front of the building line of the house and does not exceed 4 metres in height, (if it has a tiled or slated pitched roof), or 3 metres (if it has any other roof type). The floor area limitation for exempted development is 25 square metres.

From Here
    But, after a neighbour got into trouble

Did you hear this first hand or see the actual wording of the Enforcement Action? It sounds like pub talk to be honest. You don't "get into trouble", you get issued with enforcement action.

No it doesn't. The Regulations for exempted development are National. Every Council work off the same Regulation.
    Schedule 2 Part 1 Class 3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭horse7

It's not an interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,000 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

ICYMI
    Is your Council any better than mine at responding to FixMyStreet reports? Because mine is fairly crap. In some cases, potholes are fixed after a few days. Other potholes are still there years later, after multiple reports. It took six months and several escalations to Councillors and the CEO to get a simple pavement reinstated to a proper standard. I'm not jumping up and down expecting stuff stuff to be done on demand - but if they could just have told me it would be 3 months or 6 months or whatever.

What kind of list or prioritisation system is in place for jobs like this? Is there any management visibility to lists of outstanding stuff, or size of backlog? Does anyone measure or monitor response time to queries?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Tow

No it doesn't. The Regulations for exempted development are National. Every Council work off the same Regulation.
    Schedule 2 Part 1 Class 3

He was told to reduce its size or apply for retension, in the end the builder rebuilt one side to reduce its length.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2001/si/600/made/en/print#sched2
    2. The total area of such structures constructed, erected or placed within the curtilage of a house shall not, taken together with any other such structures previously constructed, erected or placed within the said curtilage, exceed 25 square metres.

It unfortunately does does not state internal or external, unless another part of the legislation covers this, so CoCos interpret as they like...

I have a written reply from one of the planners in DLR Co Co stating:
    I refer to your recent query regarding the permitted square metres of a shed or similar structure, I attached Class 3 of the Planning and Development Regulations regarding same.

I can confirm that the 25sq metres referred to is a total area as no reference is made to floor area.

My interest is to build by own shed (24~25sqm external), across the width of the back garden. One neighbor has theirs from the late 60s, when the other neighbor tried to build his a few years ago, his other neighbor complained.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

I'm afraid it's time to close this one up, thanks to our guest for taking the time to answer some questions. Hopefully you all found it informative.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement