Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Info request.

Options
  • 20-08-2018 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭

I came across this ruin which I take to be a Castle of some kind on the Mallow to Lisgriffin road in north Co Cork.

Locally I got the name given as Ballymechane, which I take to possibly be BallyMcCann . I can't fond any info online, anyone got any ideas?

ballymechane1.jpg

ballymechane2.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

another spelling I found Ballymaclenine. The townland could be Boherascrub. I can't find any relevant info under either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭lucalux

Hi, I found this under the name Kilmaclenine, Ballyclough.
    Kilmaclenine Castle, you should be able go from there with Google results.

From archaeology.ie:

Class: Castle - Anglo-Norman masonry castle

Townland: KILMACLENINE

Scheduled for inclusion in the next revision of the RMP: Yes

Description: On limestone ridge, with extensive views in all directions. East end of ridge fortified by random-coursed limestone rubble walls (H c.1m-1.5m; T 1.3m) enclosing subrectangular area (c. 40m E-W; c. 30m N-S). Wall follows cliff edge on N, E and much of S sides; sections of wall missing at SW corner and on E side. Angular projection or spur at E end of N wall, with rectangular lintelled ope (H c. 0.5m; Wth c. 0.2m), not now accessible from interior; similar ope at E end of S wall, also blocked. Ramp (Wth 3m) leading up to site at W end of S wall may have been entrance; now grass-covered with sheer cliff-face on each side. Rectangular projection from N wall (2m N-S; 1.6m E-W), probably garderobe chute. Interior uneven with rock outcropping; no surface trace of any structures.
    Medieval castle of the manor of Kilmaclenine, possession of the Bishops of Cloyne (MacCotter and Nicholls 1996, 29, 37). Deserted rural borough (14638) c. 100m to SSE; church and burial ground (14434, 14594) c. 250m to SE; fortified house (14376) c. 90m to NNE.

The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Cork. Volume 4: North Cork' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 2000). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.

Date of upload/revision: 14 January 2009

thanks for that. explains why I couldn't find it under Bally

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭lucalux

No worries, great find there, will have a read of it, some nice photos of the sites too.
    You were almost there with 'Bally', I wouldn't have found it otherwise.

• Advertisement
Advertisement