Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

When did THAT happen?

Options
  • 02-08-2018 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but I'm curious.

When I was 'on the go' in the eighties, discos, nightclubs etc had a formula. There were fast sets & slow sets. During slow sets lads asked girls to dance, and they sort of shuffled around the floor with varying degrees of physical contact. If the girl had no interest in the chap, she said thanks at the end of the slow set & returned to her friends. If there was a spark, it was possible that they would stay on the dance floor for the next couple of sets.

So when did that change? Did somebody blow a whistle and say As of this moment there shall be no slow sets and males shall not ask females to dance? Did the slow set slowly die out? When did all this happen and more importantly Why?

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,046 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I can see a problem here...hands up all those who have been in a nightclub or dance hall in the past 20 years :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

I'd say it was a phase that just died out. My grandparents wouldn't have had slow sets. My parents did, 60s and 70s, we did 80s and early 90s.. so 1 1/2 generations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

We had slow sets in the late 50s
    Peatys wrote: »
    I'd say it was a phase that just died out. My grandparents wouldn't have had slow sets. My parents did, 60s and 70s, we did 80s and early 90s.. so 1 1/2 generations?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

looksee wrote: »
    I can see a problem here...hands up all those who have been in a nightclub or dance hall in the past 20 years :D
    /Hand up
    :cool:

EDIT: For anyone who wants to re-live the days of disco and dancing to slow sets then the charity "Grown Up Debs Ball" still have a few days left for EarlyBird tickets. It's a small event that allows you to relive and/or improve on your school debs dance. Get a gown or tux, get to the Gresham Hotel for bubbles and/or pints then hit the dance-floor after dinner. Get a bunch of friends and organise a table for yerselves.
    And Yes, they still do slow sets.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74836237&postcount=2490
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/biz/Grown-Up-Debs-Ball-151015924922626/

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Advertisement