Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Genuinely good movies that have went under the radar?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

spookwoman wrote: »
    Romper Stomper - Skinkheads in Australia with Russell Crowe
    Chopper - Story of Mark "Chopper" Read based on his book From the Inside. Eric Bana
    The Hidden - Sci Fi Kyle MacLachlan is chasing an alien parasite that taken of human bodies and goes on a crime spree
    Society - Just weird

Never saw The Hidden but the other 3 are all very good.

I vaguely remember watching the comedy horror The People Under The Stairs as a kid and being creeped out. Not sure if it went under the radar but I must watch it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

Lorelli! wrote: »
    I watched that film years ago and loved it. I can't remember much of it now. I think it was a bit like grease but had a much darker element to it? The soundtrack of it was amazing.

I seen that film the wanderers when I was like 9 or 10, and I couldn't stop saying, "nobody ****s with the baldies".

The duckie boys terrified me as a kid, I had no idea they where based off a real life Irish american street gang.

I also loved another gang movie called The Warriors from the same year.

tomofson wrote: »
    I seen that film the wanderers when I was like 9 or 10, and I couldn't stop saying, "nobody ****s with the baldies"..

I can't remember that part. I must say that to my brother though cause he's a baldy :D could have also been a line from Romper Stomper! :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

Old Boy (original) was amazing.
    Spirited Away & Howls Moving Castle - great films too.

I can't remember that part. I must say that to my brother though cause he's a baldy :D could have also been a line from Romper Stomper! :/

No it was definitely from the wanderers, I seen it recently, I loved romper stomper too.

• Advertisement

tomofson wrote: »
    No it was definitely from the wanderers, I seen it recently, I loved romper stomper too.

I know. I was joking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I'll throw in Parents with Randy Quaid and Mary Beth Hurt, Dir Bob Balaban. Creepy with a great soundtrack. Beware spoilers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Never saw The Hidden but the other 3 are all very good.

I vaguely remember watching the comedy horror The People Under The Stairs as a kid and being creeped out. Not sure if it went under the radar but I must watch it again.
    I remember that one as well same guy who played the priest in silver bullet was in it.

Few others are
    Moon 44 - sci fi with Michael Pare
    Dark Angel - Sci Fi with Dolf Lundgren
    Wasabi - Action with Jean Reno
    Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone - sci fi with Peter Strauss and Molly Ringwold

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Probably banned nowadays given the Me too nonsense but The Life of David Gale should be mandatory to watch.

Winslet is meh as per but Spacey I don't think has been finer.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Kenny B

The Castle (1997) - Australian film with the uncle from Sullivan's and Eric Bana's 1st film, one of the funniest I've seen, brilliant writing and acting,

Management - Jenifer Aniston/Steve Zahn, simple and easy to watch with great music all through it,

Ma ma - Spanish film with Penelope Cruz, best film I watched this year, by far,

Sleep Tight - The male actor from Ma ma did another great Spanish Film, a mad storyline but very enjoyable.

and lastly because I just lover Penelope Cruz.

Volver - Spanish again but so good you don't notice the subtitles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Wottle

Rudderless - stays with you for a while, great soundtrack

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

The Survivalist was one of my favorite films from 2016. Very taunt and raw film making and dripping in tension.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Donatron

Mud (2013) - An excellent film with shades of Stand By Me. Stars Matthew McConaughey and was one of the first films of his recent renaissance, before Dallas Byers Club, Interstellar etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭hgfj

Lucky starring Harry Dean Stanton. Released in USA in October, 2017 so maybe too soon to be under the radar. He died two days before the offical release. Played a 91 year old atheist. A very personal film based on his own philosphy on life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

Drugstore Cowboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Tresspass

Hard rain

Surviving the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

After Hours (1985)

A Good Year (2006)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Exorcist 3

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭sinnerboy0

"The 25th Hour" starring Edward Norton, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Rosario Dawson.

"A Most Violent Year" Oscar Isaac and Jessica Chastain, not an original story in that it's someone with a shady past trying to go legit but it's a new telling, location, and era

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭chatticusfinch

Chef, the Jon Favreau movie was pretty good, and the food looked class. I'd also have a soft spot for Begin Again, the John Carney movie with Keira Knightley and Mark Ruffalo.

sicknotexi wrote: »
    Drugstore Cowboy.
    Oh I love that film, another good one is My Own Private Idaho (1991)

Night of the comet (1984) is another good one, particularly if you are like me and love 80's horror movies.

The Funhouse (1981) I really loved this one too.

Clownhouse (1989)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Rebel Rebel

Carnage 2011

Two pairs of parents hold a cordial meeting after their sons are involved in a fight, though as their time together progresses, increasingly childish behavior throws the discussion into chaos.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1692486/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_38

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPX6-4Bo7XU

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Chef, the Jon Favreau movie was pretty good, and the food looked class.
    Which reminds me of another great food-themed movie that seems to have dropped off the radar: Big Night:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

"A Most Violent Year" Oscar Isaac and Jessica Chastain, not an original story in that it's someone with a shady past trying to go legit but it's a new telling, location, and era

Happened upon that on TV a while back, didn't know anything about it bit it was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭kuntboy

Sorcerer
    Ran
    Amour
    Blue Ruin
    Castaway (Oliver Reed version)
    Ironclad
    Last Train Home
    Salaam Bombay
    Snow on tha Bluff
    Starred Up
    The Experiment
    Another Year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

What about The Grey, I don't think it was a hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Ipso wrote: »
    What about The Grey, I don't think it was a hit.

Yeah, really enjoyed that one.

The 3.10 to Yuma remake had Christian Bale and Russell Crowd but I don't remember it being a bit either. Loved it.

Yeah, really enjoyed that one.

The 3.10 to Yuma remake had Christian Bale and Russell Crowd but I don't remember it being a bit either. Loved it.

Watched that recently, it was great, Russell Crowe was really warm and charming which I enjoyed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Adventureland. I seem to remember the trailer making it out to be a comedy like American Pie.

Advertisement