Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Machete murder in Cork

• 13-06-2018 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Gardaí believe machete killers are Irish as they renew appeal for information over murder http://jrnl.ie/4067253

Having searched over the last few days I am amazed that there was no thread opened on this horrific incident.

Are we becoming desensitised to the horrors around us. It would seem that the last few weeks have had unprecedented amount of violent events.

A father slaughtered in front of his wife and children, mother severely injured, unbelievable savagery. Thoughts with family and friends.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It went quiet for few days which was strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

only one group comes to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I don't see how his wife and kids will ever recover from witnessing this

• Registered Users Posts: 17,973 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I'm guessing the woman must have been seriously injured when she tried to defend her husband. These savages are clearly very dangerous and need locking up for a long time if caught. It could easily have been a double murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

I was almost relieved to see no thread on the subject because in general,they descend into disrespectful, speculative shouting matches based on very little other than rumour.

My condolences to the family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Mikenesson

What group is that?

I assume he means our cultural group?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

What kind of grudge do you think they would have?

No grudge, just robbing b*stards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

thebull85 wrote: »
    No grudge, just robbing b*stards.

nothing was stolen though from what I understand from the news.

And with a sustained assault like that, up close and personal it will definitely have been a grudge of some sort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

A territorial patch is my guessing

A territorial patch is my guessing

Does our 'cultural group' have territorial patches
    for legitimate business interests?

I thought they operated randomly.

I know they're also involved in narcotics where you could expect this sort of thing to happen over a patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,727 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Mikenesson wrote: »
    I assume he means our cultural group?

Bit extreme, even by their standards. And they usually keep this stuff 'in the family'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

No facts as yet. Hope they will eventually come out...

Looking like a "Turf war" against foreigners (although the poor family are in this country for years.)

If this horrendous murder has been carried out by the inferred Irish gang who are quick to call racism then we have hit the bottom.

I wonder will the Gardai be able to take this on.

I heard this incident been reporated on an overseas radio station referencing that it could be an attack with racist undertones.

I am ashamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I live a couple of miles in towards town from where this happened, it's a very quiet corner of Cork. Everyone is a bit stunned to discover the sort of head-cases we apparently have running around the place. Doesn't "feel" like travellers, in my view. No-one, the Gardaí included, seems to have a notion at this juncture what it could be in aid of. I'd consider this a particularly gruesome and savage piece of work by any standards anywhere, never mind Ballinora.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Can only imagine what witnessing that must have been like, he had young kids around the age of mine, and I'd hate to think what seeing your dad cut to pieces will have on them.

Doesn't bear thinking about.

When some say "I don't agree with the death penalty", its cases like this that would change your mind. Absolute scum of the earth to do that for whatever reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

juno10353 wrote: »

Are we becoming desensitised to the horrors around us. It would seem that the last few weeks have had unprecedented amount of violent events.

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't say I'm desensitised.

Ive simply given up wasting my time hoping that we will get any change

Outdated laws.
    Soft sentencing
    Overcrowded prisons due to not having enough prisons.
    Gardai resources cut.
    Each instance of multiple convictions treated like an isolated incident.

Its a cause that won't be championed by any politician. The effort and work involved in Criminal Law Reform won't get headlines or feel good retweets.

Irish mirror hinting that an irish 'cultural' gang was involved

'A gang that travels across the country'

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

gaeilgeoirs is it?

gaeilgeoirs is it?

More Jailgoers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

juno10353 wrote: »
    Are we becoming desensitised to the horrors around us. It would seem that the last few weeks have had unprecedented amount of violent events

I was in Balincollig once and it didn't seem like the type of place that an organised attack like this would occur. Genuinely put the wind up the sails a bit.

What could be the motive? Undercutting the locals in the landscape business would hardly be it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

More Jailgoers

Gaolgoers then.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    I was in Balincollig once and it didn't seem like the type of place that an organised attack like this would occur. Genuinely put the wind up the sails a bit.

What could be the motive? Undercutting the locals in the landscape business would hardly be it?

Maybe they tried to rob his gardening tools off him and he gave one of them a deserved hiding

From the photos he looked like he could handle himself

But not against a gang with machetes at night

Cowardly vermin that they are

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

The use of a machete is very personal.

A lot can go wrong. The person may not die, fight back, blood, very messy job, DNA etc. This is not a usual MO you find in Ireland viz. gun drive by. whereas machetes are used quite a lot in Africa and South America.

Very peculiar but whatever the victim was up to he clearly pissed off some peeps.

'A gang that travels across the country'

The red tops can hint all they want. They are just blurting out fairly standard non specific cookie cutter phrases to fill up their rags.

They know jack ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

heard they chopped off his hands..not sure how true it is

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The use of a machete is very personal.

A lot can go wrong. The person may not die, fight back, blood, very messy job, DNA etc. This is not a usual MO you find in Ireland viz. gun drive by. whereas machetes are used quite a lot in Africa and South America.

Very peculiar but whatever the victim was up to he clearly pissed off some peeps.

Handgun found and burnt-out car.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Did another friend escape out the window?

Esel wrote: »
    Handgun found and burnt-out car.

True but the article pointed that it was not used plus car was essential in a rural ares. Perhaps it was just to **** him up rather than kill him but then the victim would be able to give some insight as to the motives etc.

On the one hand it was carefully planned but on the other it makes no sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

ToddyDoody wrote: »

Anything can be organised and anyone's life bought! Even in ballincollig.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/two-jailed-after-trying-to-buy-weapons-for-limerick-gang-1.897356

Advertisement