Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Flying to US with Aer Lingus

• 28-05-2018 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

Myself and the OH are flying to the US later this year for our honeymoon.

I have never been on a long haul flight before. What are the on board toilet facilities like on a trans Atlantic flight?

How does a wheelchair user get to use the toilet while on one?

Also, does anyone have any tips on how best to manage bowel care while on a long haul flight??

What's the best thing to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,886 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Toilet situation is generally pretty grim. Pretty much the same toilets as on a short haul but for greater number of passengers. No idea how it works with a wheelchair, guessing the same situation as on short-haul.

Quora paints a grim picture: https://www.quora.com/How-do-wheelchair-users-use-in-flight-toilets-during-long-flights

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

As a friend of a wheelchair user I have to say we never went on a long haul flight. If you are worried about it maybe you should look into places where the flight makes a few stops. A lot longer I know and maybe more expense, but at least it would take the stress out of it and you could enjoy your flight

lulu1 wrote: »
    As a friend of a wheelchair user I have to say we never went on a long haul flight. If you are worried about it maybe you should look into places where the flight makes a few stops. A lot longer I know and maybe more expense, but at least it would take the stress out of it and you could enjoy your flight

We're flying directly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

We're flying directly

If you or your partner have a problem have a problem getting to the toilet in the aircraft you really should have made this your priority and checked out other holiday destinations which offer shorter flights.

Sorry op not much help I know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭the14thwarrior

I know someone who made it work. needed to leave the door open to transfer onto the toilet but did it (don't worry closed the door after!). its a small space so it really depends on how well you can get off your wheelchair or can you stand a few mins or not at all? the door widths are likley your worst problem, they are not very wide!!!

did you talk to someone at the airline and ask them? people do it, so don't be put off.

I know someone who made it work. needed to leave the door open to transfer onto the toilet but did it (don't worry closed the door after!). its a small space so it really depends on how well you can get off your wheelchair or can you stand a few mins or not at all? the door widths are likley your worst problem, they are not very wide!!!

did you talk to someone at the airline and ask them? people do it, so don't be put off.

Our Travel agent is doing all the booking for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭guitarhappy

By your name you appear to be male. This is how it's done by people in the know. Go to a medical equipment​ supplier and get external catheters and a small collection bag (NOT internal catheters). The part you attach over your member is latex and shaped like a condom. It has sticky glue inside and a rubber tubing. You will need rubbing alcohol to gently remove it after your flight (don't attempt to pull it off). Empty the bag in a toilet, wash it for reuse. with a fresh condom part.

Advertisement