Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan Travel etc...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

bigslick wrote: »
    +1 have 2 spare SF2 and trying to work out the best way to resell on site.

Have sold two sets of tickets on the resale site. Posted them back via registered post, cost me about 7 euro to Japan. They were received two days ago but have no update from the portal yet about the refund being approved. In any case, I'd rather get the refund now so I have that cash to spend in Japan, rather than waiting 16 days after the game.

They were bought on a credit card that has since changed number, I'm guessing they can still chargeback to the account though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Gur

Sammy96 wrote: »
    Hey,

Not sure if this is the right place, but I'm looking for two tickets to the Japan game, if anyone can be of assistance!

Thanks,

Sammy
    You can still buy tickets for the Japan game on the official site.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 stotheototheb

So the website would suggest until you actually try to but them.... worst website ever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Hippo

Gur wrote: »
    You can still buy tickets for the Japan game on the official site.

There are none available on the official site and haven't been for quite a while. Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Hippo wrote: »
    There are none available on the official site and haven't been for quite a while. Am I missing something?

It’s sold out, the system isnt great but keep checking if your looking because travel agents will return their allocations and people will resell theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Many of you probably know the his already, but getting yen here is not difficult, but not as easy as getting dollars/sterling. AIB, who I bank with do not sell yen. BOI do, but you need to have an account there, it takes 2 weeks to get this set up before you can order foreign currency. I had to get a family member with a BOI account to buy the yen for me. Also, it will only be delivered to main branches, on our case 25 miles away from the branch where it was ordered.

I’m bringing US dollars as well, they are readily accepted in the post office/currency exchange there, I would prefer to come home with unused dollars than unused yen.

The cash machines there don’t all take foreign debit/credit cards, the ones in the post office and seven11 do, but POs aren’t open beyond 5pm.

Strangely, they are a cash society, the majority of restaurants/taxis/bars do not take cards. The WiFi there is supposed to be poor enough and your phone bills are likely to be astronomical when you get home if you are calling/browsing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

For the phone bills probably worth getting a local sim and using Whatsapp over data/wifi to call and text.

Eod100 wrote: »
    For the phone bills probably worth getting a local sim and using Whatsapp over data/wifi to call and text.

Was planning to do all communications through WhatsApp but have been warned by someone who lives there that WiFi is poor in hotels/stadiums/bars, the places I would most likely use internet to send pics/make calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

Apparently there is a cellular to WiFi dongle that you can pick up at the airport that is supposed to be good

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

Pocket wifi is a must have for Japan. Prices range from 5-8€ a day rental dependant on the length of rental. pre book online and collect on arrival in the airport. Vital to have for use of transport apps, Whtasapp, Google maps etc. Public Wifi is virtually non existant.

• Advertisement

Chris871 wrote: »
    Pocket wifi is a must have for Japan. Prices range from 5-8€ a day rental dependant on the length of rental. pre book online and collect on arrival in the airport. Vital to have for use of transport apps, Whtasapp, Google maps etc. Public Wifi is virtually non existant.

Do you have a link to rental site?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I have booked pocket WiFi with Japan wireless. It’s €80 for the 3 weeks I am there. It’ll be dropped to my hotel and they give you a prepaid envelope to send it back. You can collect at the airport too. There is also a power bank that comes with it. But the store closes at 5pm and we land after.

I found a 1000 yen discount code in an article that was rating the different providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,599 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Red roaming on Vodafone is 5e a day for Japan. I guess the dongle will save you cash if you're splitting it with a friend, but I think I'll just pay the roaming.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Red roaming on Vodafone is 5e a day for Japan. I guess the dongle will save you cash if you're splitting it with a friend, but I think I'll just pay the roaming.

Pocket WiFi for me, I’m bringing an iPad to watch sports/Films, apparently you can connect multiple devices to pocket WiFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Here is the discount code for Japan Wireless (it’s not a referal code) 1000yen

JWWMSUMMER19

And if you promise to share the link for the site(they don’t check they give another 300yen

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭redved

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Here is the discount code for Japan Wireless (it’s not a referal code) 1000yen

JWWMSUMMER19

And if you promise to share the link for the site(they don’t check they give another 300yen

Thanks, couldn't get that code to work for some reason

Dav010 wrote: »
    Was planning to do all communications through WhatsApp but have been warned by someone who lives there that WiFi is poor in hotels/stadiums/bars, the places I would most likely use internet to send pics/make calls.

Yeah that's why I was going to get a local sim and use data where possible

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Eod100 wrote: »
    Yeah that's why I was going to get a local sim and use data where possible

I presume I’ll be buying a SIM card at the airport on arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 okaki1104

Blisterman wrote: »
    Has anyone resold tickets using the official resale site?
    On the one hand it asks you to send your ticket to them in Japan at your own expense, but also says

"For any tickets successfully resold that are not returned to the Rugby World Cup 2019 Ticketing Centre , the refund process will be made within 16 days following the relevant match date."

Does that mean there's no need to actually send it to them? I'll get the money anyway after the match? I'd rather not have to queue at the post office and pay god knows how much it'd cost to send a registered letter to Japan.

Yes, probably.
    If you send the ticket to the office, you can receive the money soon.
    If you don't send the ticket to there after resell successfully, you can get the money after the game or World cup.

I heard some people refund the money after send the ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

The Tokyo Metro Subway App seems to be user friendly. The route planner on it will be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

errlloyd wrote: »

Worth noting that Roaming only includes 200MB Data per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭bennyl10

E tickets available to print for me this morning

bennyl10 wrote: »
    E tickets available to print for me this morning

Seems to be down for maintenance atm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

What are people doing between the games?

Chris871 wrote: »
    Worth noting that Roaming only includes 200MB Data per day.

That depends on your plan, I have full use of my 30GB allowance on Red Roaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

That depends on your plan, I have full use of my 30GB allowance on Red Roaming.

you'd want to check that

I am a Vodafone customer and it is only within EU that I get my full allowance

Riskymove wrote: »
    you'd want to check that

I don't need to, I got it in South Africa last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Riskymove wrote: »
    you'd want to check that

You can use your full allowance free of charge within the EU.

If you've red roaming it's a fiver a day to use your full allowance in the US, Japan, China etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

You can get data only sims here too but generally if your here for more than a week the pocket Wi-Fi is best way to go if there's more than one travelling too just split the cost.

Advertisement