Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MLB 2017 Playoff Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Some performance by Ramirez today.

10-3 now. Roll on Game 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

10-3 now. Roll on Game 4.

Fair play to David Price. He was absolutely immense

Delighted for the Red Sox and Yankees.
    Not that I want either team to progress, but at least they've made their series' interesting.
    Watched the first half of Red Sox game last night. Price was great when he came in. Thought Hanley was very good too. Big fan of his.
    Cubs still the only team to pick up a road win in the playoffs so far.
    Great evening of Baseball tonight. Of course I'll miss the Doders game, but fingers crossed they close it out this evening.
    Hoping to catch the 2nd of half of the Red Sox, and first half of the Cubs game.
    Predictions for tonight:
    Astros beat the Red Sox (3-1)
    Cubs beat the Nats (2-1)
    Yankees beat the Indians (2-2)
    Dodgers beat the Diamondbacks (3-0)

This Astros Red Sox game has been great so far. Pitchers getting in and out of trouble in the early innings.

Ireland game on the telly is nerve wracking stuff but this Boston v Houston game is super too. Chris Sale was superb.

• Advertisement

Chris Sale was superb.

Jack Presley’s kiss of death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

What a way to start bottom 9th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Can't remember when I last seen an inside the park home run.

Come on Red Sox!

Can't remember when I last seen an inside the park home run.

Come on Red Sox!

They happen quite a bit, usually as a result of an error though.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

Run Forrest Run

• Advertisement

Can't argue with that result to the series. Astros v Indians would be great series if it plays out that way

Great double play by the Nationals to get out of a very tough situation at bottom of the 7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Huge 8th and win for the Cubs. Arietta goes tomorrow! Hopefully get it done in Wrigley.

Surprised the Yankees made it to Game 5 but they were the better team tonight. I think they might have the edge for Game 5 with the rate that the Indians burned through their pen.

Surprised the Yankees made it to Game 5 but they were the better team tonight. I think they might have the edge for Game 5 with the rate that the Indians burned through their pen.

Agree fully. The Indians are now in a real spot of bother.

Still hopeful they can pull this one out though

1 ER for Scherzer and Strasburg over 13.1 innings and they don’t win either of their starts.

Day off today so the bullpen should be able to recharge and be ready for tmw night. I don’t really believe in momentum in short series in baseball so it really is anyone’s to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Cubs grinding out the wins. Edwards Jr able to keep his head last night which took a lot of courage after the previous game. I would drop Schwarber from the lineup and put Jay in at LF. Schwarber's confidence seems to be shot again.

I'm also not entirely delighted with starting Arrieta in a crucial Game 4 after such a long layoff...

There was an interesting stat during last night's game that the Cubs and the Nats had the lowest postseason combined pitching ERA: Cubs 0.050; Nats 0.169 and then the Indians at 0.360. No home run derby games in this series!!

Wooo Dodgers.That went a lot smoother than I could have hoped for.
    Definitely the most comfortable series win I remember for the Dodgers in quite a while.
    Would prefer to face the Cubs in the NLCS. Want revenge for last season, and think the Nats line up stronger against us.

I see the Yankees winning game 5, and then getting blown out of the water by the Astros, 4-0 or 4-1
    NLCS will hopefully only go 6 games maximum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭boccy23

The Dbacks seemed to hit the juggernaut that is the real Dodgers and not the shell of a team that it met in September.

I think the Cubs will make it past the Nats and we will have a great NLCS.

Still think the Indians have enough. Kluber will not be as bad as he was in Game 2.

But the Astros looked very strong. Will still pick the Indians to meet the Cubs in the WS.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I think the real Dodgers stood up for the series with the Diamondbacks.
    They just seem to have such strength in depth. Confident we would beat the Cubs if we play them. not so confident about beating the Nats.
    Similarly, I think I'd prefer if we played the Astros or the Yankees over the Indians. But I am getting miles ahead of myself. Probably be a Nats vs Indians WS

I had the Nats as my pick but as they’re relying on Tanner Roark in a must win Game 4, my belief has been tempered a bit. But if they get through that, I’d nearly bet the house on Strasburg in Game 5.

I had the Nats as my pick but as they’re relying on Tanner Roark in a must win Game 4, my belief has been tempered a bit. But if they get through that, I’d nearly bet the house on Strasburg in Game 5.

Rain forecast in Chicago today so game might be pushed back till tmw. So if the game is postponed, would you stick with Roark or go with Strasburg on short rest?

Edit - ignore. I think it’ll be full rest so no brainer.

Damn rain delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

IF they haven't started the game BEFORE the inclement weather, I'd say it's possible we won't get baseball at all today.

Could be an additional rest day. Dunno how that would leave game 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

It's off till tomorrow

Same starters. Don’t know why the Nats aren’t going with Strasburg.

EDIT - Turns out Strasburg (and a couple of other Nats) are ill at the moment.

John Farrell sacked by Boston.

John Farrell sacked by Boston.

Not a major surprise. They went all in this year but didn't reach the ALDS. Don't think they've made the ALDS since 2013.

Being ejected from the Astros didn't help either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭boccy23

Strange team this year. I thought they overachieved as such. Betts regressed. Apart from Sale, their pitching was ordinary. No home runs at all in the new Home Run era is strange. Kimbrel was a stud.
    Plenty to work with, but when Pedroia didn't come out and offer Farrell his support, he was doomed.

Advertisement