Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UK Student Loan Debt

• 16-03-2017 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Finished uni in the UK in May 2010. Have a loan from Student Loan Company.
    The long and short of it is I haven't made any payments bar £200 back in July 2014 (i think).
    I have no interest in paying either as I don't necessarily have means to and feel hard done by the university i attended (there my own reasons).
    Now yes morally and ethically i should pay my debts.
    Get the usual letters every year and the odd one from Transcom UK (debt collectors).

Has anybody any experience of this ? Any further action taken etc.?
    PM me if more suitable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

GM228 is the user to answer this from a legal perspective but if you're talking what 4x £9000 then its going to be worth their while getting a court judgement against you.

Even if the college was crap, thats between you and the college. The loan wasnt from the college. Make a payment plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jl4133

Thanks for your reply. The debt is £6,500 total.
    From what I have read i don't think they can take a judgement against me. All the info they have is my address.

Yes i acknowledge the debt isn't with the college directly, just have a gripe with it.

Anybody else have any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

jl4133 wrote: »
    Anybody else have any advice?

You're not really looking for advice, you seem to want people to tell you it's fine and to keep avoiding it.

You took out a loan. As said, it's not the loan company who provided a poor education. You made a deal with them to pay back money they loaned to you, now it's time to pay up.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

You should raise your concerns with the college.
    I have seen people refunded part or all of the fees due to insufficient or poor 'service' from their college.

The loan is a completely seperate issue. You owe the money and you know this.

You clearly have no intention of paying it despite knowing you should so i don't know what advice you are looking for here.

We all (well lots of us) make poor decisions or take actions that result in financial debt of some level. The most important thing is to learn from it.

It's not the end of the world. You may feel better if you face the problem head on, you seem to be letting it stew.

I wish you every success.

• Advertisement

You're not really looking for advice, you seem to want people to tell you it's fine and to keep avoiding it.

You took out a loan. As said, it's not the loan company who provided a poor education. You made a deal with them to pay back money they loaned to you, now it's time to pay up.

Yes i suppose you are right. Advice might have been the wrong word. Experience might have been better. Just wanted to see has anybody else gone through it.
    JustLen wrote: »
    You should raise your concerns with the college.
    I have seen people refunded part or all of the fees due to insufficient or poor 'service' from their college.

The loan is a completely seperate issue. You owe the money and you know this.

You clearly have no intention of paying it despite knowing you should so i don't know what advice you are looking for here.

We all (well lots of us) make poor decisions or take actions that result in financial debt of some level. The most important thing is to learn from it.

It's not the end of the world. You may feel better if you face the problem head on, you seem to be letting it stew.

I wish you every success.

Thanks JustLen. Yes i think its time to just deal with it and get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭declanleo

My wife was paying hers off at an agreed amount. We had bought our house and were happy to pay it. Then they they asked for a statement of earnings. When that was provided they tried to treble the payment. She told them she would continue as she was as we could not afford it due to a loan and the mortgage. They said no. We haven't paid anything since and no intention to pay it. 7 years have now passed.

Advertisement