Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xiaomi Smart Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Del007

I'm looking for some advice about the Xiaomi light switch.

I'm looking at getting this switch.

http://www.gearbest.com/alarm-systems/pp_610096.html?utm_source=linkshare&utm_medium=linkshare&utm_campaign=linkshare&siteID=TnL5HPStwNw-LiSjbo5gSqWGiEqfr2.NhQ

Will this allow me to turn on and off the switch normally and also through an app on my phone?

Is there anything else that I need for this to work?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭niallb

Looks like you can use that switch manually and remotely.
    You'll need something to link the zigbee network to your wifi network for a phone app to work.

http://files.xiaomi-mi.com/files/aqara/aqara-EN.pdf

Not certain if it will fit the box you already have on the wall, but at that price it looks like a good find.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

you'll need the Xiaomi smart hub to connect this to your network so you can control using your phone.
    I have this exact one and its a perfect fit for Irish back boxes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭paulbok

Is there a dimmer version?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

paulbok wrote: »
    Is there a dimmer version?

As opposed to a smarter version?

Gets coat.......and leaving now......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Del007

Does anyone know if the ZigBee Version wall switch will work with the wemo hub? I already have the wemo hub so that would be handy.

As opposed to a smarter version?

Gets coat.......and leaving now......

No one likes a smart-ar$e.....

Unless it's z-wave & zigbee compatible and works with Home Assistant 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Going to take a punt and gamble on a few different Xiaomi sensors to try them out in my current house tonseenif they'll prove a reliable option for widescake use when we move to our new house in 6mths. How long does delivery from Gearbest generally take?

Will be controlling everything via Smartthings, do I still need the Xiaomi hub? Planning to buy a range of sensors to test them each out (motion, door, humidity etc.), any particular models to avoid?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Will be controlling everything via Smartthings, do I still need the Xiaomi hub? Planning to buy a range of sensors to test them each out (motion, door, humidity etc.), any particular models to avoid?

You still need the hub

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭pastor

Xiaomi Yeelights now have Google Home integration as well as Amazon Echo. I have not set it up yet but will do so over the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

pastor wrote: »
    Xiaomi Yeelights now have Google Home integration as well as Amazon Echo. I have not set it up yet but will do so over the weekend.

I've a single Xiaomi Yeelight bulb which I set up last night with Google Home. Works well although I couldn't get it to activate the preset scenes like 'sunrise' etc or my own self-created favourites.

Xiaomi do say that they should be usable with GH so I'm probably just not asking it correctly. It does turn on/off, dim/brighten and change colour perfectly though.

Let me know if you have more luck Pastor.

Xiaomi post on new Google Home integration - http://forum.yeelight.com/t/yeelight-work-with-google-home/1768

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

I am having trouble with the Xiaomi gateway hub. it stopped working about four weeks ago-the yellow light flashes-a message is given in Chinese-but obviously I have no idea what the message is. i have deleted the gateway but the app cannot find it now despite repeated attempts I emailed Xiaomi support to no avail. App is set to mainland China and the gateway is used to control two censors.
    Any suggestions appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Hi - took delivery of a 4 in 1 kit yesterday (gateway, door sensor, motion, wireless switch). Got it going on the phone, then I used some python scripts to start talking to the gateway to send commands and see the status of the sensors.

Anyway, I can see a voltage status coming back from each of the sensors. Its in the 3100 range for each sensor - so I assume its mili volts.

I'm looking to know at what voltage you should swap the batteries out at so I can set up something to flag that its running low.
    Im sure openHab must take care of this? Maybe one of the guys who use it can tell me what it does (although its prob configurable).

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Stoner wrote: »
    You still need the hub
    Not necessarily.
    I dont use smartthings but it has the hardware to talk directly to the sensors (it uses zigbee).

@FrankGrimes - During my brief googling I came across a thread where a bunch of people in the smartthings community got them working directly with smartthings hub (i.e. no need for xiaomi hub), but there were issues with them "dropping off" or "unpairing" - I'm not sure whether it was resolved.
    Heres the link
    https://community.smartthings.com/t/xiaomi-zigbee-door-window-sensor-motion-sensor-smart-button-device-type-beta/31948/1

Its quite long, I didn't get to the end so im not sure whether they resolved the issue. It seemed to change with different versions of smartthings firmware.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Gimme Stitches

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭tipperary

Currently considering one of these and looking for some advice on what I need to get. Currently have a number of outside lights all controlled by a single switch. I would like to replace the switch with a 'smart switch' that I can configure to turn on when it gets dark, and turn off at a set time (say 11pm).
    Questions are is this the system that will best suit my needs, and what parts do I need to make this work?

Ordered some kit from Xiaomi last night, the hub and some sensors. Also got one light switch to try out, I'm hoping it will be what I'm looking for in a switch - local, remote & automated control of non smart lights. I believe it will, I want to have smart control and eliminate accidental turning off of the traditional switch .
    Had been tempted by the G2 Lightwaverf kit, but there is no comparison on price

Ordered some kit from Xiaomi last night, the hub and some sensors. Also got one light switch to try out, I'm hoping it will be what I'm looking for in a switch - local, remote & automated control of non smart lights. I believe it will, I want to have smart control and eliminate accidental turning off of the traditional switch .
    Had been tempted by the G2 Lightwaverf kit, but there is no comparison on price

Who did you buy from and what’s the anticipated delivery timeframe? Will order some to test how well they actually work with SmartThings

Ordered from Gearbest, (Link on 1st post). Paid extra 9 Euros for 5-7 day delivery. Did have free delivery but that was I think 15-22 days delivery. Going to setup on Home Assistant, kinda giving up on Smartthings.
    If these are a success, I'll replace the remaining ST gear I have and flog it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I ordered the hub, wireless switch, 2 x door/window sensors, 2 x motion sensors from Gearbest a few days ago. Going to give it a go as a basic connected security system.

If it goes well I'll probably add at least one wired switch and some more sensors.

I really like that you can cheaply add sensors as you need.

• Advertisement

I went with the home security bundle, a couple of extra sensors and one wired double light switch. Like yourself BK, if I'm happy with them I'll get a few more sensors and will change all my light switches with them.

Ordered from Gearbest, (Link on 1st post). Paid extra 9 Euros for 5-7 day delivery. Did have free delivery but that was I think 15-22 days delivery. Going to setup on Home Assistant, kinda giving up on Smartthings.
    If these are a success, I'll replace the remaining ST gear I have and flog it.

Giving up on SmartThings in general or just for Xaomi? Have found ST good so far and the community gives encouragement it’ll only improve, but disappointed to see the Xaomi reliability issues seem fairly widespread

Smartthings in general. Routines are constantly failing on me, they work for a week or two, then a random light goes on/off when it triggers then it stops working.
    I've messed around with HA over the summer and like that I can customise routines the way I want them, I find ST restrictive on what you can do.
    More native component integration on HA compared to ST.
    I also prefer not to have to depend on the ST hub having a broadband connection to work.
    I'm hoping the Xiaomi kits prove more reliable.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

paulbok wrote:
    Ordered from Gearbest, (Link on 1st post). Paid extra 9 Euros for 5-7 day delivery. Did have free delivery but that was I think 15-22 days delivery. Going to setup on Home Assistant, kinda giving up on Smartthings. If these are a success, I'll replace the remaining ST gear I have and flog it.

I've removed smartthings too.

Stoner wrote: »
    I've removed smartthings too.

What turned you off them?
    I was a big fan at the start but the more I added bits that didn't natively work with ST, the less enamoured I became. Then when routines etc kept failing, that was the last straw.

What turned you off them?
    I was a big fan at the start but the more I added bits that didn't natively work with ST, the less enamoured I became. Then when routines etc kept failing, that was the last straw.
    That’s interesting to hear, I’ve only implemented a few standalone items with ST so far and was planning on using it for my full house solution in our new build but sounds like it may be worth looking at HA.

What are you running HA on? If I have to have an extra machine, I’d like it to be HA hub, NAS/file server, NVR for IP cameras all in one (and have a spare PC that should be powerful enough) is that feasible? I have a zwave USB stick (cant recall which one) is it a case of adding a Zigbee USB stick, installing HA and away you go?

Have it on a Pi 3, with an Aeotec z-wave stick. These Xiaomi zigbee devices will be picked up by it's gateway hub. You would need a zigbee stick if not using the Xiaomi kit, but the Smartthings hub is zigbee so you could use that as a dumb hub to pick up devices, but you are then relying on it to have cloud access to work.
    Any half decent spec will run HA, the new Hass-io build is a doddle to install (on a Pi anyway). If your spare pc is suitable to run a nas or file server, it'll be grand, you just need to make sure it stays on permanently.

Check out a guy called Ben / Bruh automation on YouTube for good tutorials on HA,

Have it on a Pi 3, with an Aeotec z-wave stick. These Xiaomi zigbee devices will be picked up by it's gateway hub. You would need a zigbee stick if not using the Xiaomi kit, but the Smartthings hub is zigbee so you could use that as a dumb hub to pick up devices, but you are then relying on it to have cloud access to work.
    Any half decent spec will run HA, the new Hass-io build is a doddle to install (on a Pi anyway). If your spare pc is suitable to run a nas or file server, it'll be grand, you just need to make sure it stays on permanently.

Check out a guy called Ben / Bruh automation on YouTube for good tutorials on HA,
    Thanks for that. Not sure what you mean about needing a zigbee stick if not using the Xaomi kit, is it a case of if using Xaomi then HA works with the Xaomi hub directly? I’d probably get a Zigbee stick anyway as I have a few Hue devices already (and a load of zwave Fibaro modules I’ve prepurchased for ceiling light control and led strips). Like the idea of the Xaomi motion and window and door sensors. Overall though, reliability is key, I want set it and forget it and if HA is more likely to give that, I’d opt for it over ST. Thanks again, will check out that guy on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Just ordered this and the wired 2 way switch - been waiting for something I can use to replace the light switch without running a neutral.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

Does the hub work over WiFi or do you need a wired connection (like the hue hub)?

Advertisement