Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mature entry medicine 2017

• 06-02-2017 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hey!

I am applying for mature entry medicine this year and seeing as a thread hasn't been set up for this years application yet, I said I'd set one up.

How is everyone finding the application process this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Triponin69

quite good actually, which college you thinking of?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Isco

Triponin69 wrote: »
    quite good actually, which college you thinking of?
    Hey, I'm thinking about applying for next year, what all have you done so far for your application and what colleges are you looking at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Bam_Bam_7777

I am applying everywhere - beggars can't be chosers and all that! What about you?

How did everyone find the hpat? Long wait ahead for the results!!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭nairy hipples

Hey guys,
    I got into mature medicine last year in RCSI. (Just finished my 1st year-has flown by!
    Just posting to say if you've any questions about application processes etc I'd be glad to help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sfitzpat

Hey nairy hipples,

I studied pharmacy in RCSI and I really liked it there, but I'm now thinking I'd like to go back to do medicine, hoping to get in in NUIG. How did you find the first year?

Just wondering if you know what HPAT score around you'd need to get to be considered for a place I know in NUIG they do the MMI as well and if anyone has any info on that it'd be greatly appreciated! ;)

I'm too late to apply for this coming September but applying for 2018!

• Advertisement

Hey nairy hipples !

I would be very interested to know what the interview was like... what type of questions they asked etc? Also what was your hpat score if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks a million!

Hey no problem.

Re HPAT score, my score (I think) was 167. I can't remember exactly but I was placed in the 73rd percentile.
    HPAT isn't as important as you think (its still important) but one of my friends got in the 93rd percentile (pharmacist) and wasn't offered an interview in Cork or RCSI (whereas I was), although she did get one in Galway.

When filling in your CAO-your personal statement accounts for a lot there, more than I presumed it did.

I'm gonna talk more about RCSI as thats what I'm familiar with!
    You get your HPAT scores around mid April and about a week later RCSI will email you asking you to submit your portfolio, have this ready to go already, saves you panic! (UCC email mid may offering interviews, I had already accepted my place in RCSI before my UCC interview-they're quite late to the game)
    It consists of a personal statement, transcripts and references.
    Always better to overdo it than underdo it, I had my JC, LC, undergrad transcripts and masters transcripts ready to go.
    Re references-these are very important. They say submit as many as you deem appropriate, I submitted ten, ranging from both academic and professional. If you've ever volunteered/worked in a hospital get them to do one for you.

Re the interview: I was told on 12th May that my interview was 18th May.
    They interviewed about 50 people (although 5 didn't show) for 15 places.
    A lot of people who have also done GAMSAT will be there so don't be disheartened as if they get offered a place they'll provisionally accept it until there GEM offer, then reject the undergrad and it'll be offered in 2nd round.

The interview consists of 3 rooms
    Room 1: Personal motivations for why you want to do Medicine. I got asked that. Why I didn't do the GEM programme (I decided to hedge my bets on undergrad), do you think if you were to do it all over again would you go straight to medicine from undergrad? Do you know what you're getting yourself in for? Do you mind having people younger than you as your senior etc etc

Room 2: More psychological testing. Eg: if you had a billion euro where would you invest it in the health service. Do you think the doctor is always the leader of the team? What is teamwork etc etc. What do you think of the HPAT as a test for deciding future doctors

Room 3: Very relaxed, admissions officer, basically telling you the cost of the programme. She'll want to know how you afford to pay for it, how you're gonna support yourself etc etc

Hope that helps, any more questions please give me a shout!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭vladcount

Hey no problem.

Re HPAT score, my score (I think) was 167. I can't remember exactly but I was placed in the 73rd percentile.
    HPAT isn't as important as you think (its still important) but one of my friends got in the 93rd percentile (pharmacist) and wasn't offered an interview in Cork or RCSI (whereas I was), although she did get one in Galway.

When filling in your CAO-your personal statement accounts for a lot there, more than I presumed it did.

I'm gonna talk more about RCSI as thats what I'm familiar with!
    You get your HPAT scores around mid April and about a week later RCSI will email you asking you to submit your portfolio, have this ready to go already, saves you panic! (UCC email mid may offering interviews, I had already accepted my place in RCSI before my UCC interview-they're quite late to the game)
    It consists of a personal statement, transcripts and references.
    Always better to overdo it than underdo it, I had my JC, LC, undergrad transcripts and masters transcripts ready to go.
    Re references-these are very important. They say submit as many as you deem appropriate, I submitted ten, ranging from both academic and professional. If you've ever volunteered/worked in a hospital get them to do one for you.

Re the interview: I was told on 12th May that my interview was 18th May.
    They interviewed about 50 people (although 5 didn't show) for 15 places.
    A lot of people who have also done GAMSAT will be there so don't be disheartened as if they get offered a place they'll provisionally accept it until there GEM offer, then reject the undergrad and it'll be offered in 2nd round.

Room 1: Personal motivations for why you want to do Medicine. I got asked that. Why I didn't do the GEM programme (I decided to hedge my bets on undergrad), do you think if you were to do it all over again would you go straight to medicine from undergrad? Do you know what you're getting yourself in for? Do you mind having people younger than you as your senior etc etc

Room 2: More psychological testing. Eg: if you had a billion euro where would you invest it in the health service. Do you think the doctor is always the leader of the team? What is teamwork etc etc. What do you think of the HPAT as a test for deciding future doctors

Room 3: Very relaxed, admissions officer, basically telling you the cost of the programme. She'll want to know how you afford to pay for it, how you're gonna support yourself etc etc

I just got my email yesterday for RCSI I cant wait !!!!!

Your email to submit your supporting documents? Are your HPAT scores out? (One of my friends is applying this year and just curious!)

Yeah I got my email to submit docs too! We don't have the results yet but they release them to the college before us sometimes.

• Advertisement

The colleges have them, was talking to one of the Admissions staff last week...

Did they happen to mention what the cut off is this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 easpa_ciall

Also got an email to submit documents from RCSI.

No mention of what the cut off point is though I don't think they make this known until later in the process..

Anyone hear anything from any other college yet? I know Trinity are usually quick to offer interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 blahbaba

Hi,

Has anyone applied to NUIG medicine this year?

This is the only one ive applied to as I would not be able to relocate.

Hpat results out this morning tho and unless the points have gone down a good bit from last year i dont think ill even make interview stage :/

Also got an email to submit documents from RCSI.

No mention of what the cut off point is though I don't think they make this known until later in the process..

Anyone hear anything from any other college yet? I know Trinity are usually quick to offer interviews.

Hhhh i only, I jut got an email, I didnt make the cut so ucd & rcsi left.
    Got told i didnt have chem, even though my under grad covered it.
    gurrrrrrrr:cool::cool::mad:

The colleges have them, was talking to one of the Admissions staff last week...

Any advice then for the interview ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 PaulinoFab

The only college that replied back to me do fa is RCSI for those document.
    Nothing from trinity so far.. wonder what that means tho because I heard that some people have heard back from trinity saying the didn't make it. So is it good or bad that I haven't heArd from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 DOC_Martin

Anyone heard from NUIG or UCC ?

I got an interview for RCSI SUCCESS

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lizzie101

Hi! I would be really interested in learning more about the process! I just got an interview for RCSI yesterday. Not sure how to go about preparing for the interview. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also-side note--I am 24 years old and I am a little anxious that I will be too old for the class. Can you let me know the average age of your class? Many thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 ahorseortwo

Thanks so much for such a thorough response. Feeling much better prepared for interview having read it.

I don't suppose you have any info on the way in which the colleges can interact with the CAO. I have an offer from another college which I am holding off on accepting incase it were to reflect badly during interview but the date to accept that will pass most likely before I have heard back from RCSI and I obviously don't want to be left with nothing, though want to receive my first choice.

I have heard that you can be refuse a place based purely on the fact you've accepted one from another college? Any idea how much truth is in that?

Thanks
    Hey no problem.

Thanks so much for such a thorough response. Feeling much better prepared for interview having read it.

I don't suppose you have any info on the way in which the colleges can interact with the CAO. I have an offer from another college which I am holding off on accepting incase it were to reflect badly during interview but the date to accept that will pass most likely before I have heard back from RCSI and I obviously don't want to be left with nothing, though want to receive my first choice.

I have heard that you can be refuse a place based purely on the fact you've accepted one from another college? Any idea how much truth is in that?

Thanks

Nah,
    Accept the offer.
    They have your CAO choices on hand, I had RCSI last on my list, I could see it in front of me, I expected a question as to why it was last (was gonna be honest and say cos it was more expensive).

Accept the other course. I doubt they'd know. Some people in my class had already accepted courses and then chose RCSI.
    If they do happen to know you got offered another course and question you on it, just tell them the truth. You're playing the odds and you can't turn down a place in case you don't get it. They know this and appreciate the honesty.

I figured this might be the case. Fascinated that they can see your CAO choices in front of them while they decide but definitely playing the odds and I am sure there will be plenty doing the same.

Fingers crossed it won't go against me.

Thanks though!

I figured this might be the case. Fascinated that they can see your CAO choices in front of them while they decide but definitely playing the odds and I am sure there will be plenty doing the same.

Fingers crossed it won't go against me.

Thanks though!

No prob, congrats on getting offered Medicine btw!!
    I'm in the middle of exams at the moment and questioning it!! (Only during exams though, other than that I love it!)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Caolan

lizzie101 wrote: »
    Hi! I would be really interested in learning more about the process! I just got an interview for RCSI yesterday. Not sure how to go about preparing for the interview. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also-side note--I am 24 years old and I am a little anxious that I will be too old for the class. Can you let me know the average age of your class? Many thanks

Don't worry about age at all. 24 is among the youngsters for a mature. RCSI take 15 matures and average age of matures is probably 29. I'm 33 (at the end of year 2) and not the oldest (will be 36 graduating)

Keep in mind very few of the undergrads come straight from school as 18 year olds. The vast majority have at least 1/2 years of another course or a few leaving certs complete while they retry the HPAT.

Good luck everyone!

Oh- someone asked if they had heard from other colleges. TCD, RCSI and NUIG have all interview offers out, UCD and UCC don't afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 DOC_Martin

What was the Hpat cut-off for Nuig does anyone know? When are the interviews for UCC and UCD?

lizzie101 wrote: »

Haha im the same age so we can be two.pods in a pea if we get in

Anyone else get an email from online services at rcsi saying your file was amended and will be proccessed with others applying yup.. no... okay..
    On a week of nights an my brain hurts

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lizzie101

Emm I didn't receive that email- Not sure what it means :S . Have you completed a degree before? How are you feeling about the interview? If you don't mind me asking are you a girl/boy and what county you are from?

• Advertisement

Would appear that UCC are offering interviews by means of a phonecall today, in case anyone was holding out on a move to Cork .

Advertisement