Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Screen Unseen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Clue 1. "Political Hangover" - Presumably reference to the three flavours cornetto trilogy... cornetto being used as a hangover cure in each movie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

So tempted to go tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 55,446 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Looks like Baby Driver alright. After just reading Empire's 5 star review, I'm really tempted too...

It was Baby Driver and it was cool as f**k. Absolutely loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Well I'm a prize dummy/ Awesome it was good though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Enjoyed it very much. The coolest film this summer for sure. Loved the soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

The next one is July 17th

Just been emailed with notification of the next Odeon Cinema Screen Unseen.

Monday 17th July - 20:15

Clue 1: 0.6 in a million

Number related movies out in the few weeks after that are:

Valerian and the City of a Thousands Planets
    6 Days

Both out early August.

Atomic Blonde is the kind of movie that they'd show too (due August 11th)

Dunkirk? Or valerian

• Advertisement

Screen Unseen for Monday week looks like it will be American Made. Never heard of it, but it looks good. It's a biopic of Barry Seal (infamous drug smuggler and gun runner), stars Tom Cruise and was directed by Doug Liman.

Clues nicked from Reddit.

Clue 1: 0.6 in a million - This is the chance of someone dying in a plane crash flying out of America and Canada. Barry Seal, the main character in the biopic was employed as a drug smuggling pilot who regularly flew shipments of cocaine in/out of the US.

Clue 2: From 39 to 86 - This is a reference to Barry Seal, who was born in 1939 and died in 1986. Barry Seal is the the main character in the biopic American Made

Clue 3: Neo in another life - Tom Cruise, the star of American Made was considered for the role of Neo in The Matrix.

Mr E wrote: »
    Screen Unseen for Monday week looks like it will be American Made. Never heard of it, but it looks good. It's a biopic of Barry Seal (infamous drug smuggler and gun runner), stars Tom Cruise and was directed by Doug Liman.

Clues nicked from Reddit.

Clue 1: 0.6 in a million - This is the chance of someone dying in a plane crash flying out of America and Canada. Barry Seal, the main character in the biopic was employed as a drug smuggling pilot who regularly flew shipments of cocaine in/out of the US.

Clue 2: From 39 to 86 - This is a reference to Barry Seal, who was born in 1939 and died in 1986. Barry Seal is the the main character in the biopic American Made

Clue 3: Neo in another life - Tom Cruise, the star of American Made was considered for the role of Neo in The Matrix.

Looks like fun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Looking forward to switching off the brain for a bit. Trailer is certainly enjoyable.

Sh*te. The movie was The Big Sick.

Would love to have seen that. I hope someone explains those obscure clues.

Thought that was a dead cert for 'American made' but 'The big sick' was hugely enjoyable. Biggest crowd I've seen in Coolock so far for a Screen Unseen. Didn't see anyone leave.

Next one is 21st August. Wind River looks like getting the nod

Reminder - this is on tonight. General consensus seems to be Wind River, with Patti Cake$ as an outside bet (mainly because Cineworld's early screenings and Screen Unseen have overlapped with the same movies a few times, and Patti Cake$ is showing early in Cineworld).

Clues fit Wind River better though. Looks like a great movie.

https://www.reddit.com/r/screenunseen/comments/6smf2w/odeon_screen_unseen_august_21st/

Reminder - this is on tonight. General consensus seems to be Wind River, with Patti Cake$ as an outside bet (mainly because Cineworld's early screenings and Screen Unseen have overlapped with the same movies a few times, and Patti Cake$ is showing early in Cineworld).

Clues fit Wind River better though. Looks like a great movie.

https://www.reddit.com/r/screenunseen/comments/6smf2w/odeon_screen_unseen_august_21st/
    Any reason movies on at 8? They used to be on later i can never make the early ones

8:15 in my local Odeon. Yeah not ideal (9 would suit better).

What was it?

• Advertisement

It was Wind River.

I see 1 or 2 movies in the cinema every week and this was the best I've seen this year so far.

It was like a movie length episode of Longmire with Renner as a younger Walt (and I mean that as a compliment).

I never really rated Elizabeth Olsen up to now, but she was fantastic in this.

Brilliant brilliant brilliant.

+1 on everything Mr E said. Loved it.

Have to agree with the above

Scream Unseen is next Monday night and the 4 clues are all out.

Clue 1: Snake-like skipper
    Clue 2: Modulated magpie mockery
    Clue 3: Same recent guise as the Freedom Fellow
    Clue 4: Oversaw all of Jagger's favourite things

There is a good theory that it's The Ritual over on Reddit, but it's not certain.

Trailer Link, out on Friday 13th of October so the timing fits. It actually looks like a good movie too.

So it was The Ritual. Didn't bother going. :o

So it was The Ritual. Didn't bother going. :o

Nor did I. Seems we may have dodged a bullet there judging by early reviews.

Tonight it was 'The Death of Stalin', a black comedy.
    I knew nothing about it in advance, which I suppose is the point.
    Kind of madcap and clever at the same time. I enjoyed it.

Yeah didn't get home in time after work to get out to it. After the last clue, I was expecting Ingrid Goes West (and I'm glad it wasn't)

That's out on November 17th and the next Screen Unseen is on October 23rd, so there is a good chance. :)

Sorry to say but The Death of Stalin, despite its pedigree of writer and stars, just wasn't funny enough. A few walkouts at the screening I attended. I was quite disappointed.

• Advertisement

Looks like Monday's Screen Unseen is Battle of the Sexes.

https://letterboxd.com/mattevenson/list/odeon-screen-unseen/

Advertisement