Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Christmas Podcast

• 02-10-2014 8:41am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

So after the success of the Know Your Elves, I'm thinking about doing a weekly podcast on the run up to Christmas.

I'm thinking format wise it'd be like something like,

1) Topic of the week
    2) Q&A's, E-Mails & Comments
    3) Special Guest

I've never done a podcast before, so I don't even know how to go about recording one, what's the best format, etc,etc.

So as always guys I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts, opinions & ideas and as well I'm looking for people to co-host the podcast, the more the merrier.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭CarrieAnne

I am off no help... sorry.... but will be more than happy to listen!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Do you have access to any sort of voice recorder? Most laptops can record audio but they can have a tendency to pick up background noise, so if you're using your computer it's a good idea to shut windows etc.

Audacity is free software that you can use for editing sound files. I'd say mp3 is the best format to save the podcasts in because that's widely compatible. There are also websites that will host podcasts for free, I could look into it for you if you like?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Definitely count me in as a guinea pig listener!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Scarinae wrote: »
    Audacity is free software that you can use for editing sound files. I'd say mp3 is the best format to save the podcasts in because that's widely compatible. There are also websites that will host podcasts for free, I could look into it for you if you like?

Scarinae if you could look into it that would be great!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Loughc wrote: »
    Scarinae if you could look into it that would be great!

I was going to offer to help as I have some experience in radio editing, but my laptop decided to start dying over the weekend :( I can't use my work computer either because I can't download any software onto it. If I get the laptop working again I will let you know!

I have just discovered that there is a podcasts forum on boards (who knew?), and there is actually a thread about where to host which could be useful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

You know what could be fun? If we actually took turns and recorded our own little "show" and then sent them in to be podcasted. I could help with editing- I am not a professional but I did a bit of sound editing for a research project I did.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

You know what could be fun? If we actually took turns and recorded our own little "show" and then sent them in to be podcasted. I could help with editing- I am not a professional but I did a bit of sound editing for a research project I did.

That sounds like a great idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

So your saying we 'Star in it, write the theme tune, sing the theme tune'.... etc... lol

That sounds like fun! Happy Christmas boardsies! Ah yes it's good to be back!

Def need help editing... can't event select the bit of clip i wanted to play...:D

Can't believe I started this thread 4 years ago, life kinda got in the way!

I've been getting the itch more and more to pursuit the idea of setting up a podcast after listening to so many great Christmas ones.

I think Monthly podcasts for now and then possibly bi-weekly as things ramp up and I would be keeping episodes short enough handy for commute listens and less time involvement for the hosts.

I don't intend on doing this solo so is there anyone here interested in helping out? Co-Hosts needed, logo creator and possible editor also.

Also ideas and thoughts for this all greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,355 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

• Advertisement

Thank you so much dejaboo for the banner! It looks so good! If anyone is interested in joining me as co-host I have a very special venue lined up to record the first episode(s). :)

Intrigued about your special venue and first episode! How exciting! :D ...cannae wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Oh exciting! Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

I have an idea where it might be but not 100%

Anyone at all interested in co-hosting.. the more the merrier, I don't think I'll go ahead on my own, I listen to a lot of podcasts and the ones where there are multiple hosts flow much better than a solo host.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I'd give it a go, Loughc but I'm not sure I could fit it in timewise - plus I'm never in the big shmoke really :(

CheerLouth wrote: »
    I'd give it a go, Loughc but I'm not sure I could fit it in timewise - plus I'm never in the big shmoke really :(

We can record remotely if needed for most episodes. There's a platform that allows multiple people to record it's like skype but just audio and built for podcasting.

But don't be putting yourself under pressure it's just an idea that pops into my head every now and then, i think there's something so unique about how us Irish celebrate Christmas and I think a fun podcast could reflect that.

But I'm not set on the idea... hence the 3-4 year gap in posts on the thread :D

cooool.....you could do guest co-hosts for peeps who just want to give it a go :)

Does it have to be on a regular basis? You could start off sporadic, to see how it goes - when an idea pops into your head, post a thread note of the time and date of the podcast.

Would be fun if the forum elves could each record a line of "twas the night before.." and contribute it for the podcast near Christmas, if you have a capability of combining them together into a story.

Or we could do shout outs - like an on-air thread :) "and now here's Posy with the Elf Report on why Die Hard is not a Christmas flick" :D .... or "Baby and Crumble with her favourite Rudolph Day activity".

aaaaaand it's your podcast, so I will stop now :o (sorry)

• Registered Users Posts: 59,514 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

I've drafted a script for a podcast and forwarded it to the Christmas mods but am now wondering- should we also post suggested podcast scripts here or would it be better if only the mods received them in order to maximise the 'surprise impact'?

Well done for all the effort you went to Namenot, and for a forum you have only begun posting in!

...you are pure brilliant at creative writing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Loughc, I really hope this happens. Sounds great. If there is anything I can do to help just shout.

This wouldn't exactly be the standard podcast as Loughc originally suggested, this sounds like something quite different - a special one-time production involving forum members as cast... is that so, Namenot?

Deja Boo wrote: »
    This wouldn't exactly be the standard podcast as Loughc originally suggested, this sounds like something quite different - a special one-time production involving forum members as cast... is that so, Namenot?

That's correct Deja.

I've run it by Loughc and he correctly views it as a 'Christmas panto' script rather than a discussion of Christmas related matters. He also likes it for its creativity so that's a positive :)

Without giving too much away, there's a list of 14 members of the Christmas forum participating in a scenario of a Christmas related issue. I've listed the current participants below and if there's a clamour for others to partake leave a message on this thread and I'll try (no promises) to incorporate them into the script.
    It's a zany script so I'm hopeful (with reason!) that the participants are up for a bit of fun, even if it's slightly at their own expense (but rest assured, there's absolutely nothing rude/ derogatory involved).

To prepare the podcast, ideally all 14 would need to record their dialogue although I'd guess stand-ins would be equally fine if someone couldn't participate. The logistics of the recording would need to be sorted- if it isn't possible to gather everyone in one place then individual recordings could be uploaded and 'the editor person' (whoever that might be) could splice them together and insert whatever sound effects are required.

Hopefully, some momentum can develop for this- I've essentially no experience of such a production so would tend to err on the side of caution when allocating time to get the final production done.

===============================================

List of current participants at present

Freshpopcorn
    Jude13
    Posy
    Loughc
    ProminentDog
    CheerLouth
    DejaBoo
    Otnomart
    Kitten_K
    TRS30
    DVB
    MirrorWall14
    Toots
    Funnights74

Maybe someone from the podcast forum would be willing to contribute their talent to the effort. :)

Wow, honored to be included. Sorry don’t really know anything about making podcasts however will help in anyway I can.

:)

You need to start practising speaking in your best Cork accent TRS30, especially if you're not actually from Cork :D

:)

You need to start practising speaking in your best Cork accent TRS30, especially if you're not actually from Cork :D

I can Langer in a good Cork accent if that helps 😂

TRS30 wrote: »
    I can Langer in a good Cork accent if that helps 😂

That's exactly what I'm looking for. You're in. :p

That's exactly what I'm looking for. You're in. :p

👍

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Following Loughc's resurrection of the Chistmas forum podcast idea (see this post) and a couple of promotional announcements concerning the concept on the general 'Boards Update' posts (most recently here and back in February here) I have prepared a script for a Christmas panto podcast.

I've run the script by Loughc and he is supportive of the concept. The working title of the script is "The tinsel dilemma" and without wanting to give too much away, it features a large number of active/ activeish Christmas forum members in a zany scenario (for more details of who I've currently included in the script, see this post). All good fun, nothing dodgy/ rude/ unkind about it- very much in the spirit of Christmas!

By the way, if your name isn't listed and you'd like to partake, leave a response to that effect in this thread!

If this event is to happen, a bunch of things need to be prepared in advance so- as a starter- I'm trying to gauge the possible interest levels among the Christmas forum members to participate in making this panto podcast happen. By 'participating', I mean "Do you think you would be willing to record your lines of the script and forward the recording to whoever is the 'editor'?" If you don't want to be involved but would be willing for someone else to speak your lines, you might respond to that effect also.

As I understand it from brief conversations with others, any recording can be done from your own home if you have access to the basic equipment which I'd presume would consist of a PC/ speaker/ headset at a minimum. It would be very useful to be able to gather a group of people also but I currently have no idea if this is even possible, even if a group was ready and willing. I understand that Loughc may have access to additional podcasting resources although details of that access and location are not confirmed.

I should add that the entire project requires a series of 'logistical things' to be arranged (particularly technical stuff with which I'm not at all familiar) so this is only one of many steps for the podcast to happen. It's by no means a certainty that we'll get it over the line but let's give it a shot and see what possible interest there is among the forum members.

Feel free to add any questions to this thread - if I can answer them, I will!

Advertisement