Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ultra Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Ultra running seminar coming to Dublin Nov 22nd

Details here - https://coachgeorge.leadpages.net/dublinultra/

Seems interesting, with guest speakers Gerry Duffy, John O Regan, Ray O'conner and Ruthann Sheehan (iirc Ruthann used to be a regular boards poster).

I'm turned off by the fact that it's run by George "buy my book/DVDs/diet/everything" Anderson and at €64 it's fairly pricey. But thought I'd throw it up here anyway as there might be some interest.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'd be interested but not at €64 I'm afraid. Bit steep for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/asics-outrun-the-sun/on-demand/60457-001

Outrun the Sun - teams attempt to run 150k around Mont Blanc in 15hrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Preview of the contenders for this weeks100 km wrd champshttp://www.irunfar.com/2014/11/2014-iau-100k-world-championships-mens-preview.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

Great previews. Some very interesting runners in both races. It'll defeinitely be interesting to see how Steve Way does in the mens's race. His little excursions into the marathon might have him running even faster... we shall see.

Best of luck to our own athletes at this one. Great to see the Irish record holder Keith Whyte back out representing Ireland again. Some recovery from what looked like a potential career ending injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Some interviews with competitors in the 100k WC's.
    http://www.irunfar.com/category/races

Coverage of the 100k World championships: http://www.irunfar.com/2014/11/2014-iau-100k-world-championships-live-coverage.html

Starts at 3pm if I'm not mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

There's supposed to be camera feed as well:
    http://www.lifeinaspire.qa/ArticleDetail.aspx?lang=en&id=80#.VG3I9meD9nw

Didn't always work for the 50k world trophy but well worth checking out at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

GB have a really strong team in for this. Steve Way and Paul martaletti. Paul came 4th in the 50k a few weeks ago and also ran 2:18 in the yorkshire marathon. Both were training runs for this race.

I saw on FB that the defending champion Giorgio Calcaterra is not overly optimistic about his prospects as he says there are several people who have run faster this year than his lifetime 100k PB.

Temperatures are not looking as bad in Doha as they were for the 50k, low to mid 20's dropping to about 18-19 overnight.

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    GB have a really strong team in for this. Steve Way and Paul martaletti.

They sure look good. Steve Way is well known, but I also saw Paul Martelletti jog to a sub-7 100k in Belfast despite having to weave around 50 runners on the track non-stop. Amazing.

They sure look good. Steve Way is well known, but I also saw Paul Martelletti jog to a sub-7 100k in Belfast despite having to weave around 50 runners on the track non-stop. Amazing.

Steve and Paul are friends for quite a while. Paul is another ex-fattie (although he played rugby when he was younger) and was actually slightly ahead of Steve for a long time culminating in his running 2:16 in Berlin in 2011. He had hoped to go to London but was unable to persuade New Zealand to select him for the Olympics. They both turned their attention to the 50k world trophy in 2012 finishing 1st and 3rd. If I'm not mistaken it was the first time that Steve had finished ahead of Paul in a race although they had traded marathon PB's for a while. He is an inveterate racer and has already clocked up 50 races (on the track, cross country and road) so far this year over distances ranging from 800m to 100k.

Looks like you can track runners here. It's a bit awkward but appears to be accurate.

Was just looking at the entry list there, and people's all time PBs. We really do have quite a number of runners in Ireland who would comfortably be in the top half of the field (7 or 8 maybe). For the size of our population its quite remarkable. Pity we only have 2 out there, so won't get a team score.

Clearlier wrote: »
    Looks like you can track runners here. It's a bit awkward but appears to be accurate.

Irunfar on the Twitter machine are giving updates every lap

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Irunfar on the Twitter machine are giving updates every lap

They've also got a section for comments on their website here. Looks like one or two have gone out quickly but there's a big pack running at 6:25 pace. Steve Way fell back from that pack when he took a toilet break.

Good coverage on irunfar alright. Still very early days indeed. There's going to be a lot of blow-ups I reckon. Marty seemed to be tracking the leading female for the first 3 or 4 laps. Looks like good pacing there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Steve Way having stomach problems. 5 **** stops already.

The Uk men are well out of it but it looks like they'll pick up 2 medals in the Women's with Ellie Greenwood (Comrades champion) currently in 1st after 80k and Jo Zarzewski (commonwealth marathoner for Scotland) well clear in 3rd.

Mens top 3:
    1st Max King (USA) 6:27 (national record)
    2nd Jonas Buud (sweden) 6:32
    3rd Jose Antonio Requejo (Spain) 6:37

Japanese Athletes 4th and 5th

• Advertisement

Steve Way was 13th in 6:57

1st Ellie Greenwood (UK) 7:31
    2nd Mochizuki (japan) 7:38
    3rd Jo Zakrewski (UK)7:42
    4th Jo Meek (UK) 7:43

Good day for the UK Ladies.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ankers99

Keith just finished 8:32

New 50km/50/mile/100 mile in roundwood https://m.facebook.com/groups/379988932178702/

A nice little video here about this year's Irish 24 hour champs in Belfast...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

I see that someone has put up a page for ultra events in Ireland next year.
    details here:Facebook Link
    For those that don't have facebook accounts is this list available elsewhere, don't want to copy paste from someone else's hard work.

The Irish team for the 24hrs championships has been announced.

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/news/24-hour-world-championships-team-announced

There are 2 boardsies amongst the Irish team. Since there are also some nominated running for other teams, boards.ie will be very well represented.

The one glaring absentee is Donna McLoughlin, the Irish champion. I can only presume she declined the invitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The Irish team for the 24hrs championships has been announced.

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/news/24-hour-world-championships-team-announced

There are 2 boardsies amongst the Irish team. Since there are also some nominated running for other teams, boards.ie will be very well represented.

The one glaring absentee is Donna McLoughlin, the Irish champion. I can only presume she declined the invitation.
    Are you running Thomas? For which team?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Are you running Thomas? For which team?
    Scrap that. Just checked your blog. Congrats!

Advertisement