Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brian Crowley

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I met him a few times and he was a nice personable man.
    Very intelligent and a good listener.

He suffered very poor health in recent years and fought hard to overcome severe difficulty.
    It didn't work out and now he has resigned. I hope he has a long and happy retirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

How much money has he leeched, just in the last term?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,174 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

robwen wrote: »
    Nonsense to say Brian Crowley hasn't been doing anything for years, I contacted the 4 South MEP's by email in 2017 about an issue, Sean Kelly no reply at all, Liadh ni Riada acknowledgement of email received nothing else, Deirdre Clune acknowledgement of email received & follow up phone call about a week later, Brian Crowley office replied within an hour looking for some more info & when was a good time to take a call, day after Brian Crowley himself rings me & he personally rang & emailed me numerous times till he got the issue sorted for me & I know he used contacts he had from the European parliament to get the issue sorted as I had correspondence with Polish MEP's offices who were directed to me by Crowley, all in all I found Brian Crowley & his office excellent to deal with

An MEP is being praised for behaving like a local councillor. Well, that sums Ireland up.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

elperello wrote: »
    I met him a few times and he was a nice personable man.
    Very intelligent and a good listener.

He suffered very poor health in recent years and fought hard to overcome severe difficulty.
    It didn't work out and now he has resigned. I hope he has a long and happy retirement.
    He has not resigned or retired. He is just not seeking re-election.
    There's no dignity in his decision which has come many years too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,002 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Are the people sticking up for him related in some way to him? I'm not sure I see the greatness.

By the way, I'm only referring to his political life, not his personal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I remember there was a link a couple of years ago showing his attendance down through the years, I had an ff fanboy preaching that his attendance only stopped since he was reelected but I know that was not the case. With respect he has health problems but the fact that his health improved at election time so he could go canvassing and disimproved as soon as he was reelected stinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

Are the people sticking up for him related in some way to him? I'm not sure I see the greatness.

Isn't it the same countrywide though, kind of a rougish element to it all, yes that means dishonest and I personally feel he has been, not appearing in Europe and collecting his salary and anything else that's on offer. But we love these types of fellas, Brian, Michael Lowery and I've not time for Seanie Q but you can be sure if he ran in Cavan he'd be another vote topper.

He has not resigned or retired. He is just not seeking re-election.
    There's no dignity in his decision which has come many years too late.

Sorry, you are right about just not seeking re-election.
    The rest of my post stands as my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

I remember there was a link a couple of years ago showing his attendance down through the years, I had an ff fanboy preaching that his attendance only stopped since he was reelected but I know that was not the case. With respect he has health problems but the fact that his health improved at election time so he could go canvassing and disimproved as soon as he was reelected stinks.
    I think he came into the news a couple of years ago because his backup was getting restless and wanted Fianna Fail to do something. Before that Crowley was in the news because he left the parliamentary group associated with Fianna Fail in the EU parliament and joined another.

Aska wrote: »
    Isn't it the same countrywide though, kind of a rougish element to it all, yes that means dishonest and I personally feel he has been, not appearing in Europe and collecting his salary and anything else that's on offer. But we love these types of fellas, Brian, Michael Lowery and I've not time for Seanie Q but you can be sure if he ran in Cavan he'd be another vote topper.

I would respectfully suggest that you do a bit more research about Brian Crowley and Michael Lowry before you refer to them as similar types.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

I could have done a better job than Crowley did since 2014.

I know he has a genuine medical issues but he was absent from Brussels since he got reelected and has done nothing for Ireland South.

He should step down NOW if he has any decency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

I find it very interesting that the reason he isn't running is not because it would be another 5 years of not being able to perform his duties in Europe but "I do not believe I would be in a position to run the type of campaign I would like to - I simply would not be able to do it (health-wise)"

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

It shows the relevance of the EU parliament when an MEP can be MIA for five years, and it made no real difference to the people of Ireland south!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

nlrkjos wrote: »
    It shows the relevance of the EU parliament when an MEP can be MIA for five years, and it made no real difference to the people of Ireland south!!!!

I think it showed the apathy and lack of understanding of the electorate towards Europe and just how important our voices there are. Brexit has taught us just how important Europe really is, one does wonder if Brians decision not to run is influenced by the fact that people have woken up to just how important Europe is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

People like Crowley is proof if ever needed that the EU is institutionally corrupt and we'd be far better to side with Rhys Mogg and co. and wave bon-voyage to Merkel's plan for European Domination.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

theguzman wrote: »
    People like Crowley is proof if ever needed that the EU is institutionally corrupt and we'd be far better to side with Rhys Mogg and co. and wave bon-voyage to Merkel's plan for European Domination.

It wasn't any EU institution that gave Crowley a seat in the EP - that was the people of Ireland South in their wisdom.

If people are worried about 'European Domination', the first step in preventing it is to elect MEPs who are capable of actually attending.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Pandora08

Hi All,
    Long time lurker, first time poster! (I would say go easy but I'm thinking I might not be that lucky for what I am about to say!)

I worked with Brian Crowley in the parliament a few years ago as a student. To be clear, I have not worked with Brian since nor did I know him prior to working with him or since then but as I do have first hand knowledge of his work ethic etc I really felt I should comment on this thread. (Feel free to bash away but I just thought I'd throw my two cents in as to what he was like to work with, just to give a bit of insight).

I cannot speak highly enough of Brian throughout the time that I worked for him. He was in my opinion the hardest working Irish MEP there, was very well respected and was a great ambassador for Ireland. I knew other people that worked for other MEPs and they would not have the same to say about those MEPs. He was ill at one point while I was working there and continued to work remotely from the hospital throughout so while physical attendance records are important, placing total judgement purely on that is not fair I think. Especially in an age when companies are becoming more and more flexible about remote working.

I was only a student but he really involved me with his team, was very personable and I learned so much about the parliament from him and his team.

Anyway, I just wanted to pop in and say that and wish him all the best in his retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Pandora08 wrote: »

Anyway, I just wanted to pop in and say that and wish him all the best in his retirement.

You are about ten years late

No, I was on an unpaid internship there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭touts

Phoebas wrote: »
    It wasn't any EU institution that gave Crowley a seat in the EP - that was the people of Ireland South in their wisdom.

If people are worried about 'European Domination', the first step in preventing it is to elect MEPs who are capable of actually attending.

At the last election he was asked frequently why he had only attended the parliament for a few months in the previous 5 years He promised the people of Ireland South that his health issues were behind him. They voted for him on that basis. An honourable person who had made that promise in good faith would have resigned once it became apparent that he could not live up to that promise. That he didn't says it all about him in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Anyway, I didn't post to cause any arguments/ debate or anything, I just thought I would say how I found working with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Pandora08 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Long time lurker, first time poster! (I would say go easy but I'm thinking I might not be that lucky for what I am about to say!)

I worked with Brian Crowley in the parliament a few years ago as a student. To be clear, I have not worked with Brian since nor did I know him prior to working with him or since then but as I do have first hand knowledge of his work ethic etc I really felt I should comment on this thread. (Feel free to bash away but I just thought I'd throw my two cents in as to what he was like to work with, just to give a bit of insight).

I cannot speak highly enough of Brian throughout the time that I worked for him. He was in my opinion the hardest working Irish MEP there, was very well respected and was a great ambassador for Ireland. I knew other people that worked for other MEPs and they would not have the same to say about those MEPs. He was ill at one point while I was working there and continued to work remotely from the hospital throughout so while physical attendance records are important, placing total judgement purely on that is not fair I think. Especially in an age when companies are becoming more and more flexible about remote working.

I was only a student but he really involved me with his team, was very personable and I learned so much about the parliament from him and his team.

We're in some trouble so.
    The criticism stems from attendance rates and frankly not carrying out his duties over a matter of years. Never met the man myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

4 years living off the fat - simple as that.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

theguzman wrote: »
    You are about ten years late
    TCM wrote: »
    4 years living off the fat - simple as that.

Mod note:

Please read the charter before posting again. No soapboxing, serious posts only please. The topic is Brian Crowley not the EU in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

robwen wrote: »
    Nonsense to say Brian Crowley hasn't been doing anything for years, I contacted the 4 South MEP's by email in 2017 about an issue, Sean Kelly no reply at all, Liadh ni Riada acknowledgement of email received nothing else, Deirdre Clune acknowledgement of email received & follow up phone call about a week later, Brian Crowley office replied within an hour looking for some more info & when was a good time to take a call, day after Brian Crowley himself rings me & he personally rang & emailed me numerous times till he got the issue sorted for me & I know he used contacts he had from the European parliament to get the issue sorted as I had correspondence with Polish MEP's offices who were directed to me by Crowley, all in all I found Brian Crowley & his office excellent to deal with

What was the scope of the issue may I ask? Was it in relation to a local issue or to do with Europe?

By the very definition of the job which is to represent his constituents and vote accordingly on issues within the European parliament he has been doing absolutely nothing as he has not attended or voted this entire term or for the last 2-3 years of his previous one which equates to 8 years of not doing his job yet still getting paid for it as well as claiming constituency office and hilariously travel expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Crowley doing an interview on finucane now. He has spent 3 And a half years in hospital apparently.

He’s spent the interview so far giving huge detail on his health problems.

Have the utmost sympathy for the man’s personal issues but I cannot for the life of me understand why he put himself forward for MEP when he had such ill health.

Perhaps there is a broader issue here.
    We actively encourage people with disability/mobility problems to participate in the workplace and public life.
    Maybe we need to have policies in place to facilitate them when health issues re-occur or complications develop.
    In the case of elected representatives we could consider allowing a temporary substitute.

elperello wrote:
    Perhaps there is a broader issue here. We actively encourage people with disability/mobility problems to participate in the workplace and public life. Maybe we need to have policies in place to facilitate them when health issues re-occur or complications develop. In the case of elected representatives we could consider allowing a temporary substitute.

Why would you want a temp when you are on full pay x 4 years. This dose'nt happen in real life.

Please read the charter before posting again. No soapboxing, serious posts only please. The topic is Brian Crowley not the EU in general.

I was not soap boxing. I believe what I say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

On a side note ...what has Sean Kelly done for us in the past 4 years???

is there any accountability???? He must be creaming it on expenses getting from a Kerry to Brussels is no easy ticket and so must spend full days in airports on way over and back.

And talks that he might run for President some day...... god help us

Advertisement