Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Crowley

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Put it this way, eagle eye - there's a well-known councillor in Tralee who has also been in a wheelchair for many decades, always tops the poll, and picks up votes across the political spectrum regardless of his own party affiliation. The key difference between him and Brian Crowley, however, is that he has always put his constituents first during his tenure, and if illness prevented him from serving, I have little doubt that he would promptly retire at the earliest possible opportunity.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

eagle eye wrote: »
    Do you follow a political party?
    What does it matter?
    I don't follow any although I dislike some more than I dislike others.
    Brian Crowley failed to do his job and it was evident to the people years ago that he was not going to be in a position to do it. He failed!
    He did not however stand aside and let someone else replace him. He continued to take his salary and not do his work. He failed his constituents.
    Allowing him praise because he faced various health challenges does not mean he should not also be criticised for his failings.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,329 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

What does it matter? I don't follow any although I dislike some more than I dislike others. Brian Crowley failed to do his job and it was evident to the people years ago that he was not going to be in a position to do it. He failed! He did not however stand aside and let someone else replace him. He continued to take his salary and not do his work. He failed his constituents. Allowing him praise because he faced various health challenges does not mean he should not also be criticised for his failings.
    It matters because I don't understand the uncaring attitude of people.
    It's not like he was in great health and didn't do his job.
    It's very clear that the man is a fighter or he would never have made it back from becoming disabled.
    He has now stepped aside and rather than wish him the best in his battles with illness, I haven't seen one person post that, we just get criticism and mire criticism. It was only after I'd posted a few times that I remembered all the idiots out there who actively seek any opportunity to criticise anyone from a rival party.

He has not done his job in several years but happily cashed his pay cheques.
    His disability and him being a fighter and yada yada is one thing.
    Him not stepping aside is completely separate and showed that his primary interest was not his constituents. He has failed his constituients by announcing this only now (with fresh elections looming). He will be remembered for his failure in this regard.
    He has now stepped aside ...
    He has not stepped aside. He is not seeking re-election which is quite different and less praiseworthy.

As for your pathetic attempt to view this as some kind of party politics or vindictiveness, its neither. I see it as a gravy train politician only looking after themselves and I'd condem it regardless of the party.

As for your pathetic attempt to view this as some kind of party politics or vindictiveness, its neither. I see it as a gravy train politician only looking after themselves and I'd condem it regardless of the party.
    Well if you support a different political party that wouldn't surprise me.
    Aka I don't believe that you don't have an agenda here that you are not admitting.

• Advertisement

Aka I don't believe that you don't have an agenda here that you are not admitting.
    Sorry to burst your bubble Brian but I've been up front with you so please don't imply that I've an agenda other than to see capable politicians doing their job, as they committed to, regardless of party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

It matters because I don't understand the uncaring attitude of people.
    It's not like he was in great health and didn't do his job.
    It's very clear that the man is a fighter or he would never have made it back from becoming disabled.
    He has now stepped aside and rather than wish him the best in his battles with illness, I haven't seen one person post that, we just get criticism and mire criticism. It was only after I'd posted a few times that I remembered all the idiots out there who actively seek any opportunity to criticise anyone from a rival party.

It's not like that. The people had no representation for years. He missed numerous votes on many issues. We're not talking a few months and then he called it a day. Why run for an office and job you won't be doing? He essentially collected a salary and will no doubt have a nice pension.
    This is about not carrying out what the people elected you to do over a very long prolonged period.
    His party affiliation is irrelevant he was never available to vote for or speak on their agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Do you follow a political party?
    I suspect, like most people in the politics forum, we all follow all the political parties. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

You won't answer because it will show you have an agenda I presume.
    I don't support any party, I despise them all equally.
    I'm done conversing with you about Brian Crowley.

I told you why I won't answer. You can't respond to the point I made so you are resorting to a personal attack. You are certainly done.

PCeeeee wrote:
    I told you why I won't answer. You can't respond to the point I made so you are resorting to a personal attack. You are certainly done.

You won't answer and I'm finished discussing it with you. On you go with your hidden agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you voted FF, got Crowley and got zero representation for 5+ years, you'd generally have problems with it.

Just because you can't understand people not having hidden agendas doesn't mean its not possible.

I suspect, like most people in the politics forum, we all follow all the political parties.

Confusing. How can you follow all the political parties unless of course you are going down the pedantic route of saying that as a fan of politics you keep an eye on all parties.
    If you don't understand that it's common to call those who vote religiously for one party as followers then you must not have lived in this country for very long.

Confusing. How can you follow all the political parties unless of course you are going down the pedantic route of saying that as a fan of politics you keep an eye on all parties.
    It's not pedantry at all - some people don't vote blindly like children on party lines. In our political system, it's possible (as you seem to not be aware) to vote for more than one person/party.
    If you don't understand that it's common to call those who vote religiously for one party as followers then you must not have lived in this country for very long.
    I think the word you're looking for is member, as in "card-carrying member" - the only phrase which is commonly used.

I may not have lived in this country as long as other people, but that's probably down to my age I guess? Like obviously someone in their 40s has lived here longer than someone in their 30s.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Kenny B

This guy has finally accepted he now has no ability to represent his voters and still won't give up the seat, now that's a disgrace.

Kenny B wrote: »
    This guy has finally accepted he now has no ability to represent his voters and still won't give up the seat, now that's a disgrace.
    I totally agree. I've given preferences to FF candidates on many occasions, including the most recent election... but if Crowley represented me, I'd be pretty pissed off at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Kenny B wrote: »

I agree with first part of your sentence I met him once at a wheelchair conference and is a very driven and fighting man and was always thinking I would be back and it has now been realised it wont happen. Is there a substitute person you can nominate. I say resigning now would do nothing as given the election is this year no special election would be called. But calling a sub if possible is the least he could do

• Registered Users Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I totally agree. I've given preferences to FF candidates on many occasions, including the most recent election... but if Crowley represented me, I'd be pretty pissed off at him.

I am more dissapointed he didn't realise it sooner. I am also sad for him in a personal way that it is this bad. Unless he can nominate someone in his place I doubt a by election would be called this close to the actual elections

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is no by election structure. He nominated replacements prior to running in 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭robwen

Nonsense to say Brian Crowley hasn't been doing anything for years, I contacted the 4 South MEP's by email in 2017 about an issue, Sean Kelly no reply at all, Liadh ni Riada acknowledgement of email received nothing else, Deirdre Clune acknowledgement of email received & follow up phone call about a week later, Brian Crowley office replied within an hour looking for some more info & when was a good time to take a call, day after Brian Crowley himself rings me & he personally rang & emailed me numerous times till he got the issue sorted for me & I know he used contacts he had from the European parliament to get the issue sorted as I had correspondence with Polish MEP's offices who were directed to me by Crowley, all in all I found Brian Crowley & his office excellent to deal with

• Registered Users Posts: 33,378 ✭✭✭✭listermint

robwen wrote: »
    Nonsense to say Brian Crowley hasn't been doing anything for years, I contacted the 4 South MEP's by email in 2017 about an issue, Sean Kelly no reply at all, Liadh ni Riada acknowledgement of email received nothing else, Deirdre Clune acknowledgement of email received & follow up phone call about a week later, Brian Crowley office replied within an hour looking for some more info & when was a good time to take a call, day after Brian Crowley himself rings me & he personally rang & emailed me numerous times till he got the issue sorted for me & I know he used contacts he had from the European parliament to get the issue sorted as I had correspondence with Polish MEP's offices who were directed to me by Crowley, all in all I found Brian Crowley & his office excellent to deal with

Answering a few emails and having the literal lowest turn out of voting in the entire EU are two different things.

I do believe he was voted in to represent his constituents in Europe but he failed to vote on their behalf. Only Farage has the next worst record and he has spend decades peddling Anti EU rhetoric.

all things considered this is not a good thing

• Advertisement

listermint wrote:
    Answering a few emails and having the literal lowest turn out of voting in the entire EU are two different things.
    Hahaha, and you don't have an hidden agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Ultimately up to his constituents to remove him if they are not satisfied. He is under no obligation to vote in the EU Parliament or attend Parliamentary sessions in order to be paid his salary.

What possible hidden agenda could there be here? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

robwen wrote: »

I emailed him on a few occasions over several years, about different topics.
    Every time I received an email back saying he was on medical leave and would pass my concerns on to a colleague and that was the end of it.

His write up on RTE pretty much says he was popular and that's pretty much it. It's tradition to note political or policy achievements. They don't have any.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭robwen

mcgovern wrote: »
    I emailed him on a few occasions over several years, about different topics.
    Every time I received an email back saying he was on medical leave and would pass my concerns on to a colleague and that was the end of it.

We must of had different email addresses then cause I got acknowledgements & replies from a very helpful lady called Annette in his office, people saying he's been doing nothing for years isn't true in my experience, in his poor health he was still able to help me more than the other 3 South MEP's, anyway I'll bow out of this thread as my experience doesn't fit the agenda here

• Registered Users Posts: 33,378 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sorry,

Im confused?

What are you actually on about.... or is it just to shout out senseless nonsense at anyone that questions why Brian Crowley held a seat he wasnt actually working in.

Can you explain to me or in fact any poster why you hold your beliefs that someone has an agenda if they question the nature of this jobs appointment / continued appointment ?

Please , cheers

listermint wrote: »
    Sorry,

Im confused?

What are you actually on about.... or is it just to shout out senseless nonsense at anyone that questions why Brian Crowley held a seat he wasnt actually working in.

Can you explain to me or in fact any poster why you hold your beliefs that someone has an agenda if they question the nature of this jobs appointment / continued appointment ?

Please , cheers

Funnily enough Crowley was seemingly not a FF team player anyway. So you'd likely 'have an agenda' regardless of your stance on Crowley ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,216 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I was in work all day so only seeing the latest posts

I have a huge amount of sympathy for him. Misguided guy. Lot of personal problems.

But yes, He is a chancer. FF took years to finally see that.

He knew well he was disabled and wasn’t able to travel. But still he took the huge salary that MEPs get.

No doubt in line for a big pension too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

No achievements other than winning votes. A career politician.

Advertisement