Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

***Grant Regulations for Masters Students from 2012/2013 onward***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 spunkbass

I decided to go ahead and try to apply anyway for the masters even though I we to work my arse off again earning enough money to pay for fees and maintenance. I guess that is what the government wants though. Students working full time and graduates on the dole.

Unfortunately I made a mistake on the application. I also misunderstood the part with mature dependent/independent. I thought I was classed as mature student, after reading this topic I realised that I was wrong. Do you know if SUSI allows in any way to re-open the application if I called them?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,759 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

spunkbass wrote: »
    I decided to go ahead and try to apply anyway for the masters even though I we to work my arse off again earning enough money to pay for fees and maintenance. I guess that is what the government wants though. Students working full time and graduates on the dole.

Unfortunately I made a mistake on the application. I also misunderstood the part with mature dependent/independent. I thought I was classed as mature student, after reading this topic I realised that I was wrong. Do you know if SUSI allows in any way to re-open the application if I called them?

Not sure. Contact them.

Tel: 0761 08 7874
    Email: support@susi.cdvec.ie

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Just sent the e-mail. Would be a bit silly if I would lose even the 2000 because of a mistake on the application - May be a downside to the on-line application.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Dannyg90

I've been accpteed in a masters in DIT for september.
    I should qualify to have all my fees paid as well as the contribution as my mother is well under the income limits. I'm just wondering if there are grants for trips that are mandatory in a masters?

I would call them, but my guess is that the field trip element is not in there.

I have another question though...

If now I am qualified as a dependent again - does both my mothers AND my own rec income come into count? If it was either one of them I would be under the special rate levy, if both then I will be over. Silly because I had to work last year to pay my fees.

• Advertisement

Dannyg90 wrote: »
    I should qualify to have all my fees paid as well as the contribution as my mother is well under the income limits. I'm just wondering if there are grants for trips that are mandatory in a masters?

You may not get all fees paid. There are two types of fee grants - 2000 if your income is less than 31500 and 6270 if your income is less than 22000 and you receive a social welfare payment - check the DIT fees again - they break them down for masters and a lot of people don't realise they have to pay the 2250 registration fee.

I think masters grants don't cover field trips but ask SUSI

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I would call them, but my guess is that the field trip element is not in there.

I have another question though...

If now I am qualified as a dependent again - does both my mothers AND my own rec income come into count? If it was either one of them I would be under the special rate levy, if both then I will be over. Silly because I had to work last year to pay my fees.

I think both incomes are counted - check with SUSI though.

Terry Pratchet

You may not get all fees paid. There are two types of fee grants - 2000 if your income is less than 31500 and 6270 if your income is less than 22000 and you receive a social welfare payment - check the DIT fees again - they break them down for masters and a lot of people don't realise they have to pay the 2250 registration fee.

I think masters grants don't cover field trips but ask SUSI
    I rang up and they said that they'll pay the registration if you qualify for the 6270 which I will

I rang up and they said that they'll pay the registration if you qualify for the 6270 which I will

I don't think that's correct! Who did you ring?

Terry Pratchet

I rang SUSI and they said if i qualify to have fees paid theyll pay the registration too. Ill ring again to check

• Advertisement

I rang SUSI and they said if i qualify to have fees paid theyll pay the registration too. Ill ring again to check

How much are your masters fees?

Terry Pratchet

just rang up youre right they don't pay it. I rang them two months ago and asked if they did and was told by the guy laughing that they defo pay it and im worrying over nothing when i asked him to double check. I'm now out of pocket 300e for the acceptance fees for the course and all of the jobseekers that I won't get as i haven't applied for it thinking i was going and now i can't. They said theyre gonna have to contact people who've made postgrad applications to make sure they haven't been given the wrong info as well

About the re-entry. I called the helpdesk again and turns out that I can be classified as independent mature student now....

I am dependent at the moment in bachelors and going to masters in september.
    I was explained that re-entry is only if you do the same course again.
    Wondering if those guys have any idea whats going on or what...

About the re-entry. I called the helpdesk again and turns out that I can be classified as independent mature student now....

I am dependent at the moment in bachelors and going to masters in september.
    I was explained that re-entry is only if you do the same course again.
    Wondering if those guys have any idea whats going on or what...

No. I think the person you were talking to is wrong. You cannot change status from dependent to independent mature unless there is a 3 year gap.

Terry Pratchet

No. I think the person you were talking to is wrong. You cannot change status from dependent to independent mature unless there is a 3 year gap.

Thats what I thought. However, they already sent me the letter to forward the documents over. I really don't know now what the best thing to do is. I asked the guy 2-3 times if he is absolutely sure and even quoted the part in the scheme, and he said it only applies if you drop out and re-apply for the same level.

Thats what I thought. However, they already sent me the letter to forward the documents over. I really don't know now what the best thing to do is. I asked the guy 2-3 times if he is absolutely sure and even quoted the part in the scheme, and he said it only applies if you drop out and re-apply for the same level.

I still think they got it wrong. He doesn't seem to know what he is talking about.

Terry Pratchet

Weird. Called them again. Talked for 15-20 minutes. They said the same thing. If I have been living alone and am over 23 i will be regarded as a mature independent student. Hope the people assessing my application feel the same way : )

yay. my case is escalated to a supervisor. I will let you all know how it goes : )

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

I still think they got it wrong. He doesn't seem to know what he is talking about.

That's definitely the impression I got when I was ringing them back in June. I was given the incorrect information about what postgrads were eligible for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

I called SUSI a few weeks back about my application and they said I wasn't eligible.

Got a call this morning saying they sent out the application pack but it was returned to them. So now they're sending it out again. I don't know if this means I'm eligible or what's going on?

• Advertisement

I called SUSI a few weeks back about my application and they said I wasn't eligible.

Got a call this morning saying they sent out the application pack but it was returned to them. So now they're sending it out again. I don't know if this means I'm eligible or what's going on?

Did you ask them?

Terry Pratchet

Did you ask them?

Course not. I don't want them to double check:D

Oh. Maybe I should have done that as well. Maybe honesty will go some way here.

That's a bit daft - not knowing where you stand.

Terry Pratchet

That's a bit daft - not knowing where you stand.

Maybe, but since I get a different answer from different people when I call SUSI about my situation I'm just gonna go for it and see what happens come September.

If my circumstances didn't allow my to qualify for a grant, why would they have sent me a document pack?

Alright, I talked to someone from the escalations team now.

They are proceeding with my application as a mature student, regardless that I was in undergrad last year. They care more about how old you are it seems.

Alright, I talked to someone from the escalations team now.

They are proceeding with my application as a mature student, regardless that I was in undergrad last year. They care more about how old you are it seems.

I still think they are wrong......

Terry Pratchet

I still think they are wrong......

If they are wrong then let them be. As much as I understand the escalations team is on the same level as people assessing the application (if not the same people). Would be stupid of me to contact them for the 4th time and say I don't want the grant...

• Registered Users Posts: 9 thepoker5

Hi,

I am aware that you can get all of your fees paid for postgraduate study if you are classed as a disadvantaged student..I am wondering does anyone know that if my parents are on disability allowance and carers allowance does this mean these social welfare payments would be disregarded when calculating reckonable income???

• Advertisement

if you are classified as a dependent - yes

Advertisement