Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off-Topic Thread: Post your Pics/You-Tube/Links/Banter here!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

I have indeed seen your posts, they are the stuff of legend.

Me and recording? Well I drifted into it from being in a band. We had a Tascam 4 track and tried to do our own demo's on it. We were hopeless. We ended up using the 4 track as a mixer. 2 guitars a bass and keyboards going through the tascam to one guitar amp.:D

That was donkeys years ago. Me and the bass player got back into recording abut a year and a half ago.

Still only learning but having a great time of it.

Isn't funny what those liddle 4 tracks can do, thats how I started, a little digital 4 track and then a pc and :pac::pac:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,918 ✭✭✭fitz

I started with on-board sound cards and cubase. Got a present of an m-audio interface when I got more interested in recording demos at home. Ended up on Mac because of massive Firewire problems on windows, haven't looked back. So I suppose recording started as a way of getting demos down for me...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,918 ✭✭✭fitz

A forum full of techies...one of you is bound to find this useful ;)

http://batteriesfeelincluded.blogspot.com/2009/05/309.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

U2 on the Late Late.

What a bunch of cúnts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Yeah whats the story with the fact that only Bono and the Edge ever talk? It makes you wonder what Larry and eh... the other guy's musical input is.

Going back to first record I ever bought, first 2 CDs I ever bought were in a shop in Helsinki called spine farm (I think I still have the bag), they were Autechre EP7 and Aphex Twin I Care Because You Do....
    But before the CDs purchases I remember buying AC/DC Razor's Edge and Altern 8 Full Mask Hysteria on cassette. (Also in my brief heavy metal phase I bought Def Leppard, Alice Cooper, Black Sabbath and Metallica. I still love the Balck Sabbath stuff!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭woodsdenis

jtsuited wrote: »
    U2 on the Late Late.

What a bunch of cúnts.

A bit harsh dont you think. There wouldn't any Irish music industry without them and I have always found them to be pleasant ,polite and very helpful. Anyway doesn't Larry look like Kevin Bacon now?

woodsdenis wrote: »
    A bit harsh dont you think. There wouldn't any Irish music industry without them and I have always found them to be pleasant ,polite and very helpful. Anyway doesn't Larry look like Kevin Bacon now?

not harsh at all. they are caricatures of what they were like back in the 80's/early 90's (when they were actually good).

the tripe that was coming out of Bono and the Edge's mouth was horrendous, even by their standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

not harsh at all. they are caricatures of what they were like back in the 80's/early 90's (when they were actually good).

the tripe that was coming out of Bono and the Edge's mouth was horrendous, even by their standards.

I have nothing against the guys personally, I loved them back in the 80's when they were incredible.

One of the first major musical decisions I had to make as a kid was wether to buy 11 O'Clock tick tock by U2 or Bank robber by the Clash. The Clash won out but I did get the U2 track a few weeks later.

At that time in Ireland, every other 2nd rate band was intentionally or unintentionally mimicking U2 and it just sounded corny.

Last night on the Late Late, the song they played sounded so cliched because every part of it musically could have been a sampled part of some of their past glories. They were mimicking themselves.

For me U2 are great when they don't sound like U2, if that makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

I do think there'd be a better music industry in this country without U2. Waste of valuable space.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

There wouldn't any Irish music industry without them and I have always found them to be pleasant ,polite and very helpful.

I agree with Denis.

I remember 'pre them' - pub gigs, pub bands, few studios, few PA companies, few rock gigs - remember too that when they appeared the few who had succeeded before had left Ireland to do so.

This was also at a time (late 70s/Early 80s) when the music biz as a whole flourished both artistically and commercially, but still was in it's infancy here.
    Across the water 'everything' was happening.

Whilst all the naysayer/begrudgers tried to drag them down they lived their dream.

I remember in the mid eighties Bono and Fredia McAnna of Rocky De Valera and the Gravediggers (hilare!) were both on the Late Late show together.
    To me Bono represented the 'New' Ireland of the time with the can do, big picture, anything is possible attitude. Whilst McAnna's angle was 'Would ya not just get hammered all the time in case it ended tomorrow'.

It was, an I'm sorry to say still is, Irish Begrudgery at it's worst ...

In many ways they showed us all, both locally and internationally, how to do it.

Whilst their music no longer has any impact on me their legacy does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

not defending u2 but has there been a band who have been around as long as them whilst still maintaining there artistic credibility(genuine question)

SO obvious the 'Irish begrudgery' nonsense was gonna be mentioned.

Nothing to do with begrudgery. Had I been old enough in the 80's, I would have been proud to say U2 came from Ireland.

Doesn't change the fact that last night they were on the Late Late acting like a bunch of cúnts.

seannash wrote: »
    not defending u2 but has there been a band who have been around as long as them whilst still maintaining there artistic credibility(genuine question)

Hard one to answer Sean - I think because 'artistic credibility' is all about perception.

Does Dylan have it? A lot of people would say yea, however he has advertised for multinationals .... the sort of thing, some might say, that those without artistic credibility might do.

One can't really judge definitively in my opinion ...

SO obvious the 'Irish begrudgery' nonsense was gonna be mentioned.

Nothing to do with begrudgery. Had I been old enough in the 80's, I would have been proud to say U2 came from Ireland.

Doesn't change the fact that last night they were on the Late Late acting like a bunch of cúnts.

I think the word you used to describe them is way OTT, thats just me maybe, but I would take it as a very personal attack if someone called me that.

Wether you like their Music/Attitude/Hairstyles/Current Album or whatever it doesn't warrant a personal attack like that. That is my point.

If you had been around the Music/Recording scene pre U2 you would have an understanding of how different it is now and how much they and their
    management and crew contributed to what we all take for granted.

Discuss anything about them or what they do or represent is fair game
    but calling them " a bunch of c**ts" is childish,immature and totally
    smacks of begrudgery IMHO.

jtsuited, I enjoy really your posts a lot, and you have a great deal to contribute
    but this is way beneath you.

I think the word you used to describe them is way OTT, thats just me maybe, but I would take it as a very personal attack if someone called me that.

Wether you like their Music/Attitude/Hairstyles/Current Album or whatever it doesn't warrant a personal attack like that. That is my point.

If you had been around the Music/Recording scene pre U2 you would have an understanding of how different it is now and how much they and their
    management and crew contributed to what we all take for granted.

Discuss anything about them or what they do or represent is fair game
    but calling them " a bunch of c**ts" is childish,immature and totally
    smacks of begrudgery IMHO.

jtsuited, I enjoy your posts a lot and you have a great deal to contribute
    but this is way beneath you.
    I hear what you're saying but I can't really think of any other one word description that so succinctly sums them up at the moment.

Really annoys me the way if you criticise anyone who's Irish it's put down to Irish begrudgery.

There are many world-class artists that come from this country (one from my own town incidentally) and yes there are a lot of people who take out their own insecurities on these people by deriding them...

But.....
    U2 (despite all their success and talent) were acting like a bunch of cúnts on the Late Late last night telling oh so funny stories involving Louis Walsh and Captain Americas.

Now in fairness, I probably shouldn't watch the Late Late if I don't want to watch a bunch of Irish people engaged in an orgy of back-slapping and general twattery. So joke's on me really.

I hear what you're saying but I can't really think of any other one word description that so succinctly sums them up at the moment.

Really annoys me the way if you criticise anyone who's Irish it's put down to Irish begrudgery.

There are many world-class artists that come from this country (one from my own town incidentally) and yes there are a lot of people who take out their own insecurities on these people by deriding them...

But.....
    U2 (despite all their success and talent) were acting like a bunch of cúnts on the Late Late last night telling oh so funny stories involving Louis Walsh and Captain Americas.

Now in fairness, I probably shouldn't watch the Late Late if I don't want to watch a bunch of Irish people engaged in an orgy of back-slapping and general twattery. So joke's on me really.

Criticize all you want. They are absolutely fair game. Its the use of the word I find extreme. I must be getting tetchy in my old age.

Criticize all you want. They are absolutely fair game. Its the use of the word I find extreme. I must be getting tetchy in my old age.

haha. yeah it's a good aul nasty word.

will refrain from use of it in future (unless it's bono!).:D

Anyway back to the point in my original post.

Does no one think that Larry Mullen is looking more and more like Kevin Bacon?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

U2 on the Late Late.

What a bunch of cúnts.

That's a pretty hateful sounding description of some lads that are in band. If that's what comprises a c**t for you then you've lead a sheltered life!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Does no one think that Larry Mullen is looking more and more like Kevin Bacon?:D

He he... I think he looks more like smokey bacon at this stage... they're all getting on a bit in years. I think Bono's 50 next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

oh this sort of reminds me of something i learned from my travels.
    dublin people take the most offense to that word for some reason
    up my way its used to describe everything but whenever i used it to some dublin friends it was almost fighting words.
    it is a pretty nasty word alright though :D

frobisher wrote: »
    That's a pretty hateful sounding description of some lads that are in band. If that's what comprises a c**t for you then you've lead a sheltered life!

well my description isn't really referring to anything to do with the band. If the members (Bono in particular) of U2 were more aware that 'they were just lads in a band', I most likely wouldn't be calling them that.

Believe me, I love U2 just as much (or maybe more) than the next person (up until the very recent stuff), so it's nothing to do with 'the band'.

More, the people.

Ah chill the beans lads, it's sunny outside.

I'm sure Paul Hewson and his Mount Temple buddies are actually fine people (I must be one of the only people even casually involved with the music industry in Ireland to never have met them - or to never have even made up a story about meeting them).

Doesn't change the fact that they were on the Late Late last night acting like twats.

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    I think Bono's 50 next year.

The last 30 have been EXTREMELY busy !

seannash wrote: »
    oh this sort of reminds me of something i learned from my travels.
    dublin people take the most offense to that word for some reason
    up my way its used to describe everything but whenever i used it to some dublin friends it was almost fighting words.
    it is a pretty nasty word alright though :D

actually, you could be on to something there. Mrs. Suited is from the bog end of Mayo and down there 'cúnt' is as popular as the letter e in common usage.

Sitting round dinner tables, it's all 'cúntin this, cúntin that...what a bunch of cúnts..pass me the cúnt of a pepper cannister there, ya cúnt'.

actually wasn't there a scandal when some scottish band called 'something cúnt' (can't remember the first part of it) were playing in Voodoo on the quays and their poster was in the window for weeks before?

Yeah there was actually. I remember hearing it on Joe Duffy and everything.

Interestingly the word cúnt is referred to as 'the most tabooed word of all English words' (according to Wikipedia).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/****

edit ffs, boards won't let me link to that, so do your own search.

actually, you could be on to something there. Mrs. Suited is from the bog end of Mayo and down there 'cúnt' is as popular as the letter e in common usage.

Sitting round dinner tables, it's all 'cúntin this, cúntin that...what a bunch of cúnts..pass me the cúnt of a pepper cannister there, ya cúnt'.

actually wasn't there a scandal when some scottish band called 'something cúnt' (can't remember the first part of it) were playing in Voodoo on the quays and their poster was in the window for weeks before?

Yeah there was actually. I remember hearing it on Joe Duffy and everything.

Interestingly the word cúnt is referred to as 'the most tabooed word of all English words' (according to Wikipedia).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/****

edit ffs, boards won't let me link to that, so do your own search.

Link worked here. Who said that the OT thread would never get used :confused: Most posts today, must be the sun:D

Link worked here. Who said that the OT thread would never get used :confused: Most posts today, must be the sun:D

best/worst part of it is, I'm actually in the sun right now.

big night ahead of me though, barbecue, indefinitely long djset at a party (otherwise known as a 'go for as long as we can before I collapse or the Gardai arrive' set).

Already in this thread we've had first albums, drugs, U2 and a discussion of profanity. Here we go!

Link worked here.

nah it's linking to 'four letter word' when it should be linking to 'cúnt'.

*crosses that one off my 'sentences I'd like to use before I die' list*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭ Sarai Delicious Concrete

It was only a matter of time before the OTT went Low Brow:D

I thought it would take weeks though.

• Advertisement

Crispy.

Can I start a new topic?

Is there any chance that some of the professional guys could give us their stories of how they got started in the music business and how they made the leap from amateur to pro? That would be of great interest to most people on here I would imagine.

Advertisement