Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introduce yourself - your setup, what you do, etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

Welcome aboard Dord.

Lot's of Aria Pro's. Are they a good bass? I have one myself. I'm not a bassist so I haven't a clue:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Welcome aboard Dord.

Lot's of Aria Pro's. Are they a good bass? I have one myself. I'm not a bassist so I haven't a clue:)

Thanks! :)

As with every guitar company it depends which one... these ones are fairly good. Japanese build and solid (read: heavy) as an anvil. :o

The SB's were the mainstays of the 80's, used by many including Cliff Burton (Metallica), John Taylor (Duran Duran), Rudy Sarzo (Whitesnake), Trevor Horn (Buggles) and many more...

Not a Precision, not a Jazz or any of the other big names. They have their own sound yet are very versatile within that.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Bluebirdstudios

Hi ,
    Name Declan Lonergan just set up a new studio ( Bluebird Studios )on the Dublin/Kildare broader. Based around a pro tools hd accel 3 rig and audient asp analogue console. I use a lot off analogue outboard - prefer the sound - ( thats another debate for another day !!) Full specs can be seen at www.bluebirdstudios.ie too lazy to go through all the gear. Nice thread / hope all is well with the music heads
    Cheers,
    Declan

Hi ,
    Name Declan Lonergan just set up a new studio ( Bluebird Studios )on the Dublin/Kildare broader. Based around a pro tools hd accel 3 rig and audient asp analogue console. I use a lot off analogue outboard - prefer the sound - ( thats another debate for another day !!) Full specs can be seen at www.bluebirdstudios.ie too lazy to go through all the gear. Nice thread / hope all is well with the music heads
    Cheers,
    Declan

That's a lovely looking place you have there Declan.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Bluebirdstudios

Many thanks for your kind comments - having a real **** day - ye helped to make it better!!
    All the best
    -Declan

• Advertisement

Many thanks for your kind comments - having a real **** day - ye helped to make it better!!
    All the best
    -Declan

Yeah?

Weird that as I was being hyper ironic (only joking).:D

Hope today is better for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Pa the Blah

Hey All!
    Been here on and off for awhile so...
    I'm a pro Free lance FOH engineer
    Started in 1984 working in a couple of London Clubs mean fiddler 1st then onto Subteranea, moved on to touring in 89/90 still did the odd house gig here and there.
    done a zillion one off's with the likes of the chili peppers, Pixies, Sonic Youth, Janes Addiction, The Dubliners, Johnny Cash, Jah Shakka, Roy Orbison. did a ton of late 80's/90's Irish acts 1st London shows before they got money/engineers .. its goes on a bit.. but most of those were one to four shows, and a lot were mon's not FOH.

some long term artist I've worked for:
    Sneaker Pimps
    Beta Band
    Mylo
    Royksopp
    Booker Shade
    Sebastien Tellier
    M83

I'm also an Anal-log synth guy! :)
    Another one of my gig is helping artist recreate songs for live performances devise ways and means for running live shows in regard to Synths triggers live sequencing etc.
    I had a few tunes released over the years and done some free lance studio work and mastering sessions, also live radio sessions etc... ran a small midi studio in the 90's When Atari's ruled the Sequencing world!

I've just finished a two year stint with M83 supporting the like of The Kings of Leon, The Killers, Depeche Mode.

there ya go me in brief! pls to meet ya all!

My gear is in storage, be setting up in the coming weeks.. I'll post when its done!
    pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

hey man, welcome and all that good stuff. based in Waterford myself (most of the time).

M83 sounds like an interesting bunch to have been involved with for sure. Car Chase Terror! is scary stuff :D

old gregg wrote: »
    hey man, welcome and all that good stuff. based in Waterford myself (most of the time).

M83 sounds like an interesting bunch to have been involved with for sure. Car Chase Terror! is scary stuff :D

Waterford too! I sense a possible beer encounter!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Hey All!
    Been here on and off for awhile so...
    I'm a pro Free lance FOH engineer
    Started in 1984 working in a couple of London Clubs mean fiddler 1st then onto Subteranea, moved on to touring in 89/90 still did the odd house gig here and there.

Our paths may well have crossed ... I recall Subterannia gigs working with That Petrol Emotion in 1990 and Andy White in Mean Fiddler, also around that time.

• Advertisement

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Our paths may well have crossed ... I recall Subterannia gigs working with That Petrol Emotion in 1990 and Andy White in Mean Fiddler, also around that time.

For sure Paul our paths have crossed, I was at Sub from day 1 for three years and I recall a at least 2 maybe 3 TPE shows there,Great live act! lots of energy, Also Andy White at the Fiddler pre 90's though.

Glad to make your acquaintance once again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 slim van toon

pleased to meet you:) I´m a Dublin survivor for some years from Germany.

doing mainly Electronica and soundscapes for Fun
    currently mixing everything inside the box

will post some tunes in the section hopefully soon
    "a mix is never finished, you just have to abandon it" -G. Massenburg:D

my humble setup:
    Hackintosh Dualboot OSX + WINxp
    Macbook Pro
    RME Multiface
    UAD-2 + Plugs
    Cheap Kondenser Mic and cheap Tube PreAmp
    Mindprint TRIO
    E-Mu XBoard
    Yamaha HS80
    DJ Rig
    Logic

Waiting for my Zoom H-2 to start some field recordings

nice meeting you guys, rock on...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Waterford too! I sense a possible beer encounter!
    beer? hell yea!

pleased to meet you:) I´m a Dublin survivor for some years from Germany.

doing mainly Electronica and soundscapes for Fun
    currently mixing everything inside the box

will post some tunes in the section hopefully soon
    "a mix is never finished, you just have to abandon it" -G. Massenburg:D

my humble setup:
    Hackintosh Dualboot OSX + WINxp
    Macbook Pro
    RME Multiface
    UAD-2 + Plugs
    Cheap Kondenser Mic and cheap Tube PreAmp
    Mindprint TRIO
    E-Mu XBoard
    Yamaha HS80
    DJ Rig
    Logic

Waiting for my Zoom H-2 to start some field recordings

nice meeting you guys, rock on...

Welcome aboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I'm new to it all, I kind of dabble.

I have a Roland Juno-D synth - used to play a bit in a covers band way back.

Also an E-MU xboard midi controller.

Currently messing about with Reason 3, I like it and would like to apply myself more to get to grips with it.

Have a Cubase LE but havent used it with, tried Sonar 8 LE but couldnt get anywhere with. Maybe I just dont know how to connect my E-MU 0404 USB interface.

Used to use Steinberg Sequel but its very entry level and quickly got a bit bored of it.

Also an old friend of Fitz.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 chillum

I'm Will, based in Galway but currently recuperating with the folks in Tipp after a rather disruptive shoulder injury. I got Ableton 7 in January and have spent the time since knocking out tracks (some good, most woeful, all fun to do).

Although I'm new to it, I've really gotten into producing my own stuff over the last while, using much of my time to learn how to make my tracks sound better than they really are.

Gear:
    US Deluxe Strat
    Yamaha Pacifica
    Taylor Big Baby
    Vox Valvestate 50W Amp
    Zoom G2.1u Multi fx
    Rubbish Cort Bass
    2 cheap ukuleles (don't have enough movement in my arm to play anything else at the mo)
    Studio Projects B1 mic
    Yamaha HS50m monitors
    Novation Nocturn 25 MIDI Keyboard

Using Ableton with various plug ins

I'll throw a few tracks up here whenever I can get my 'studio' set up.

Welcome All !

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭paulelectronica

Name is paul and i produce down tempo electronica stuff. Current set up is a laptop (duo core) running Cubase 4.5 , FL 8 , Sound Forge 9, FM8 , Kore player and more . have a Korg micro controller , samson resolv 65a monitors and im looking to buy a synth soon .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Hey, I'm Rory. Just got my gear working fully today.

12955_1234505915702_1620831306_580381_4554327_n.jpg

Very very basic, but I'm so excited about it.

MacBook Pro (15", 2.53GHz, 4GB RAM)
    Alesis iO14 Firewire interface (Thanks slavedave!)
    Shure SM58
    Behringer XM8500
    Sennheiser HD465 headphones
    Altec Lansing speakers salvaged from an old Dell computer

I use GarageBand and a little Pure Data, and I'm very interested in getting Ableton when I have some money together. I have a Roland EP-7 keyboard that I'll use as a MIDI controller when I get some MIDI cables.

I think some monitors, a condenser or two, and a Korg Nanokontrol will have me set up rather nicely for a while. At the moment, I record drums, bass, guitars, vocals, and a little musical saw on my own, and I'd like to start indulging my Autechre/Aphex Twin/Radiohead/DJ Shadow ideas when I can get Ableton. I'm listening to a lot more electronic/sampled/DSP stuff than anything else at the moment.

Here's a little demo I did to test my gear if you're so inclined;
    http://soundcloud.com/captain-wow/gmin-demo
    Horrible drum sound. That's the first thing I want to learn.

...Room could do with a tidy...... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Santa brought me a Korg NanoKontrol :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Just realised I havn't contributed to this thread, so here goes.

I'm Paul, 23, run a hobby studio from home. A brief synopsis of my rather humble setup:

Desktop with XP3
    Alesis i/o 26
    Cubase SE3
    Reaper
    Samson C-Com Compressor
    T-Racks 3 Plug-Ins
    Couple of Studio Pojects LDCs and Sennheiser dynamics
    Pair of Naiant MSH2s
    Some ancient amp and speakers my old man probably used to listen to Fleetwood Mac vinyls

Various small class A amps, a dozen or so choice stomp boxes, about a dozen high-end guitars, a terrible room. Likes compression and reverb. Dislikes vocalists who grab the mic and scream.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭grandslamsmith

Lovely set up Madtheory!

Very simple 'Kitchen based' studio for me! Started tinkering with software about 12 months ago - previous to that I had an assortment of portastudios (or Portapotties as somenow refer to them as).
    Currently working on:

Abletone 7
    Gear Box
    Line 6 Pod Studio UX1
    Edirol PCR-M1 midi controller
    Big f*ck of monitors!

www.soundcloud.com/grand-slam-smith

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Tony Ramone

Hey all,
    My name's Anthony. I play guitar and "sing" in Stanton's Grave (a punk band), and about 2 years ago my wife and I bought our first house, so I decided to turn the garage into a studio to record our music.
    It's still a work in progress - I've made it my goal to get some treatment done before spending any more money on mics, pres, or any other gear :)
    I put together a PC last year (I had been using a laptop) to run Cubase 3, and I've got an Alesis io26 interface.
    Up 'til recently I used EZDrummer to program all the drums on my tracks and played all the instruments myself, but in November I finally recorded the full band, including the drums.
    I found this forum while searching for rockwool suppliers in Ireland :)

Hey all,
    My name's Anthony. I play guitar and "sing" in Stanton's Grave (a punk band), and about 2 years ago my wife and I bought our first house, so I decided to turn the garage into a studio to record our music.
    It's still a work in progress - I've made it my goal to get some treatment done before spending any more money on mics, pres, or any other gear :)
    I put together a PC last year (I had been using a laptop) to run Cubase 3, and I've got an Alesis io26 interface.
    Up 'til recently I used EZDrummer to program all the drums on my tracks and played all the instruments myself, but in November I finally recorded the full band, including the drums.
    I found this forum while searching for rockwool suppliers in Ireland :)

Welcome aboard Tony. Any relation to Joey?

Rock

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Tony Ramone

Ha, I wish! I got the nickname when I showed up for a gig years ago after getting my leather jacket and my hair was approximately ramones length :)
    I prefer it to Fat Tony, hence my usage of it...:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Carl Cornelius

Hi guys,

Carl "Calle" Corneliusson here. Just wanted to introduce myself and what I do. I'm Swedish and moved to Dublin in 2001. I've always been involved with music, either playing or producing, but never worked with it full-time. There always seemed to be better paid jobs in a different field :p I guess I kept the dream/magic alive by keeping it as a hobby. I still write, still play, still produce as much as a can. For the last 4 years I've built up a home recording studio to a level where I want it to be. It's in Roundwood, Co Wicklow and I couldn't think of a nicer environment to be creative in (..I know, we DO get snowed in occasionally) I still haven't made up my mind if I want to turn it in to a commercial facility, we'll see. To begin with I'm interested in building up a network of contacts/bands/other fellow engineers and producers. In order to kick this off I've decided to see if I could find a singer/songwriter to work with to try out the new setup/the room etc. This would be an opportunity for someone to get some free quality studio time. If you know someone good, let me know and let's see what happens...

Cheers

Calle

1264966555_resized.jpg?width=920&height=613

Equipment:
    Sony DMX-R100 48-Channel Digital Audio Mixer
    Apple iMac 24” Apple Mac running Apple Logic Studio with plug-ins
    M-Audio Profire Lightbridge
    Mutec MC-1
    Tannoy Reveal Active Nearfield monitors
    Avantone Mixcubes
    Gyraf Gyratec II Preamp/Eq/Compressor
    DBX 786 Precision Mic Preamp
    Chandler Germanium Preamp
    Focusrite Red 3 Stereo Compressor/limiter
    DBX 160SL Stereo Compressor/limiter
    Chandler Germanium Mono Compressor
    Eventide Eclipse Multi-effect/Harmonizer
    AMS RMX-16 Reverb
    Lexicon PCM-42 Delay
    Demeter RV-1 Real Spring Reverb
    Lexicon PCM-60 Reverb
    Lexicon PCM-70 Reverb
    Lexicon PCM-91 Reverb
    Roland SDE-100 Digital delay
    Ensoniq DP4+ Multi effect
    AKG C12 Vintage Reissue Tube large condenser
    Telefunken AK-47 Tube large condenser
    Rode K2 Tube large condenser
    Rode NTK Tube large condenser
    Rode NT5 Small condensers
    Sennheiser MD421N Dynamic
    + a selection of acoustic/electric guitars/basses/keyboards

All that lovely gear through 'Tannoy Reveals' ?????:eek: (or 'Tannoy Conseals' as I call them)

Welcome to the Forum !

I've never heard that Sony Desk but remember reading great things when they came out - what do you think ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Carl Cornelius

You're so right Paul. The Tannoys can't be recommended for mixing. I recently sold my pair of Genelec 8040's (sound great, but never worked for me mixing. Have a lot of friends who love them) Stuck with the reveals for now and they were given to me to try out when they came out so eventually I got used to them and know how to mix through them. I'm looking for a replacement for the Genelecs though and have my eyes on models from Dynaudio and Barefoot (ouch pricey...but VERY good) Problem as always is to get to compare in a proper environment, side by side
    The Sony DMX...love it. It's small, enough channels, insert aux sends and returns. Sony Eqs/compressors/gates on every channel..touch faders and automation. Great desk...until it breaks down and Sony don't support it any longer...Hmmm. Cross that bridge later. Should probably buy a second one for backup..they are cheap as chips used at the moment. Does it sound good? It really does, but do I really know mixing through those horrible Tannoys :D

Hope to see you on plug-in day.

Cheers

Calle

• Advertisement

Hi guys,

Carl "Calle" Corneliusson here. Just wanted to introduce myself and what I do. I'm Swedish and moved to Dublin in 2001. I've always been involved with music, either playing or producing, but never worked with it full-time. There always seemed to be better paid jobs in a different field :p I guess I kept the dream/magic alive by keeping it as a hobby. I still write, still play, still produce as much as a can. For the last 4 years I've built up a home recording studio to a level where I want it to be. It's in Roundwood, Co Wicklow and I couldn't think of a nicer environment to be creative in (..I know, we DO get snowed in occasionally) I still haven't made up my mind if I want to turn it in to a commercial facility, we'll see. To begin with I'm interested in building up a network of contacts/bands/other fellow engineers and producers. In order to kick this off I've decided to see if I could find a singer/songwriter to work with to try out the new setup/the room etc. This would be an opportunity for someone to get some free quality studio time. If you know someone good, let me know and let's see what happens...

Cheers

Calle

1264966555_resized.jpg?width=920&height=613

Equipment:
    Sony DMX-R100 48-Channel Digital Audio Mixer
    Apple iMac 24” Apple Mac running Apple Logic Studio with plug-ins
    M-Audio Profire Lightbridge
    Mutec MC-1
    Tannoy Reveal Active Nearfield monitors
    Avantone Mixcubes
    Gyraf Gyratec II Preamp/Eq/Compressor
    DBX 786 Precision Mic Preamp
    Chandler Germanium Preamp
    Focusrite Red 3 Stereo Compressor/limiter
    DBX 160SL Stereo Compressor/limiter
    Chandler Germanium Mono Compressor
    Eventide Eclipse Multi-effect/Harmonizer
    AMS RMX-16 Reverb
    Lexicon PCM-42 Delay
    Demeter RV-1 Real Spring Reverb
    Lexicon PCM-60 Reverb
    Lexicon PCM-70 Reverb
    Lexicon PCM-91 Reverb
    Roland SDE-100 Digital delay
    Ensoniq DP4+ Multi effect
    AKG C12 Vintage Reissue Tube large condenser
    Telefunken AK-47 Tube large condenser
    Rode K2 Tube large condenser
    Rode NTK Tube large condenser
    Rode NT5 Small condensers
    Sennheiser MD421N Dynamic
    + a selection of acoustic/electric guitars/basses/keyboards

Welcome aboard Calle,

that's a lovely looking set up you have there for a home studio, I'm very envious.

Advertisement