Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old TV ads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

No......>_>
    .....yes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

madmaggie wrote: »
    The animated ad for the Safe Cross Code. Yuk. Bring back Brendan Grace and Judge the dog. Remember, one, look a safe place..... :D

Speaking of whom, remember him in Maxol's Free a Nipper campaign? Had a grey Nipper for years, until the dog got at him. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Speaking of whom, remember him in Maxol's Free a Nipper campaign? Had a grey Nipper for years, until the dog got at him. :mad:

http://wheresgrandad.wordpress.com/2012/04/17/only-gorgeous-maxol-bottler-and-the-liberation-of-the-nippers/

and

RIGH'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Some ads from the mid-80s. Remember the Cidona one, disgusting sheet! We always had a bottle in the house though. LOL at the RTE Orchestra blunder, listen closely. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Anyone remember this ad from the early 90s,it had this student type fella saying in a North Of England accent "It were an animal product Grandad".Can't remember what it was for.

Moved this for you, good luck!

• Advertisement

Ruubot2 wrote: »
    Moved this for you, good luck!

Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

There's millions of Geoffreys all under one roof!

God I would have given anything to even see a toys r us as a kid because of those ads!

God I would have given anything to even see a toys r us as a kid because of those ads!
    Same! TCC showed the ad constantly and had the little interludes showing new toys for Turtles, Power Rangers, Mighty Max, Ghostbusters, EVERYTHING!!
    But I never got to see it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I thought it was "'There's millions', says Geoffrey, 'all under one roof'"...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Eeden wrote: »
    I thought it was "'There's millions', says Geoffrey, 'all under one roof'"...?

That is what they say but as a 5 year old I sang my own version :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

That is what they say but as a 5 year old I sang my own version :)

Its ok.

I sang your version too :pac:

question.....

whats the point of esb advertising back then? it wasnt as if you could pick and choice your electristity...

Nearly 10 years later, I have an answer to this!!

(also, my spelling was awful!)

Apprently, ESB advertised as they wanted people to see the benifits that electricity had over Natural Gas (which wasnt entirely state owned, you could buy gas from calor)

The Idea was that you'd see the benefits of electric heating, then buy your White furniture (fridges, Washing machines and soforth) from ESB Directly.

Speaking of which, I genuinely cant think of the last time i saw a Electric Ireland (ESB) ad now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

I've just had another flashback....

An ad where they are all in a pub and there's a table quiz goin on,and the bartender is asking all the questions-then somebody shouts up at the bartender..."hey,I have a history question for you-when was the last time you actually bought me a pint??"

It was obviously about a drink but can anybody remember which one?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Seasan wrote: »
    I've just had another flashback....

An ad where they are all in a pub and there's a table quiz goin on,and the bartender is asking all the questions-then somebody shouts up at the bartender..."hey,I have a history question for you-when was the last time you actually bought me a pint??"

It was obviously about a drink but can anybody remember which one?
    It might have been part of a series.There was another ad where there was a mime artist in the bar he says to a customer do you know what a mime artist is and he replys mimes a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I'm thinking of the ads that would be considered very un-pc now. The Lyons Tea minstrels, the Robertsons golly, and I'm old enough to remember ads for Hamlet cigars and Consulate cigarettes on TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

Every one's a fruit and nutcase....
    Cortina ad with a gang of kids in the back unrestrained, no booster seats or 'baby on board' sticker...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

Every one's a fruit and nutcase....
    Cortina ad with a gang of kids in the back unrestrained, no booster seats or 'baby on board' sticker...

19 years ago

Honnestly dont think my family have ever once bought the RTE Guide!

I remember singing this as a kid in my aunt and uncles house in newry when i was about 4 :pac:

25 years later, I couldnt drink a cup of tea if you paid me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Just saw this old ad on tv3,looks like the original too,not a CGI'd reboot.

Can ye remember this really cheesey annoying American ad for Carlsberg from the 90s?

Twas in a lively courtroom,and the judge says to the defendant "did you TOUCH MY CARLSBERG?" and he replies "your honour I must refuse to answer on the grounds that it violates my...." ......and the judge asks him again,but this time he makes this big long speech and everyone in the courtroom stands and applauds,and he keeps pointing at the judge and shouting "shame on you!"

The Golden Maverick ad with the 'Clint Eastwood in western' character.
    Hazelwood Farm ad for HB ice cream, made it sound like it was never near a factory.

madmaggie wrote: »
    The Golden Maverick ad with the 'Clint Eastwood in western' character.

I used to be scared of that ad-the music and the loud bell tolling...

"A-Antiscour
    A-Acidified
    A-Accelerated Growth.....
    Keep your calves healthy with Triple A Golden Maverick-COZ THIS IS NO TIME TO TAKE A GAMBLE!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

"A-Antiscour
    A-Acidified
    Keep your calves healthy with Triple A Golden Maverick-COZ THIS IS NO TIME TO TAKE A GAMBLE!!!"

Stamp out Scour! These ads were always shown during half time of GAA match broadcasts! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

..."Sarcoptic mange mites" were what freaked me out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

"A-Antiscour
    A-Acidified
    There was another one with a bunch of cowboys playing poker in a saloon."Some need carefull watchin, Some fold when you least expect it,others look good but are they as good as you think?"

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JrdanB

I've been trying to track down a Cadbury's ad for a while now - it's in Black and white and the voices are dubbed I think, it ends with "Daddy, What's a euro?" "I dunno..."

Probably from around 2002 or so when the euro first came out

anyone know where to find it?

Edit: seems that I'm not the only one who's looking for it...

from 2005:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054849797

Ah happy days, tucking into your supper, thinking of mange mites, scour, liver fluke and warbles. These young people don't know what they're missing. :D

• Advertisement

I remember being addicted to all the home shopping ads shown after Eurosport & stuff ended.
    You know youre a marketers dream when youre 10 years old & wanting a mop :pac:

Advertisement