Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Degag wrote: »
    Jesus that would be extemely embarrassing for all parties involved - Metallica, MCD and Mountcharles.

Hard to believe it myself as based on previous concerts Metallica will pull 30-35k in their own right without taking into account the fact they haven't been here in 10 years and the fact that they are arguably more popular now in the country than then. Also the Slane factor in itself should surely bring another 10k?

Haven't there been alot of Slanes where the attendance was around the 50k mark? Foo's being one? Can't see Metallica being too far off that really worst case scenario.

(To counteract the above point, The Cure playing the same day probably has hurt it though)

What i heard was that it was just a tentative enquiry seeing if the band would consider a move, they completely ruled it out so it's staying at Slane.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

scudzilla wrote: »
    What i heard was that it was just a tentative enquiry seeing if the band would consider a move, they completely ruled it out so it's staying at Slane.

It would be a mess if they moved it to the RDS since how would you allocate the standing and seating tickets. If they were inquiring about changing venue then they must have sold less then 30k tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

On the other hand you have people like me who are really looking forward to seeing Metallica after 10 years but just haven't bought a ticket yet because there's little fear of it selling out. I'd say I'm far from alone either.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Big Nasty wrote: »
    On the other hand you have people like me who are really looking forward to seeing Metallica after 10 years but just haven't bought a ticket yet because there's little fear of it selling out. I'd say I'm far from alone either.

I'm in this boat myself. Kinda waiting to see what the weather is like, then see if can get one cheap. Free would be better too though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

shamrock55 wrote: »
    How come a god awfull live band like gnr can sell out slane yet Metallica cant

Because those bands are more popular in Ireland then Metallica ever was tbh.

Metallica are a mainstream metal band now and have been for a long time, but for a lot of casual music fans the very name gives off negative connotations. "Wow, it's a metal band that will be a right racket I'll give that a miss", while Foo Fighters and GnR are more acceptable because they usually bother the top 30 in this country and have loads of daytime airplay.

Those two acts are more palatable for the Irish public at large.

I hope it doesn't sell out tbh, the trendy Metallica 'fans' that think the Black Album is the bands best work kill the atmosphere at gigs anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Because those bands are more popular in Ireland then Metallica ever was tbh.

Metallica are a mainstream metal band now and have been for a long time, but for a lot of casual music fans the very name gives off negative connotations. "Wow, it's a metal band that will be a right racket I'll give that a miss", while Foo Fighters and GnR are more acceptable because they usually bother the top 30 in this country and have loads of daytime airplay.

Those two acts are more palatable for the Irish public at large.

I hope it doesn't sell out tbh, the trendy Metallica 'fans' that think the Black Album is the bands best work kill the atmosphere at gigs anyways.

No they don't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

shamrock55 wrote: »
    How come a god awfull live band like gnr can sell out slane yet Metallica cant

Yeah, why did one of the biggest bands of all time sell out that huge venue for their first gig as a practically original line up in almost 30 years?

I guess we'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Pelvis wrote: »
    Yeah, why did one of the biggest bands of all time sell out that huge venue for their first gig as a practically original line up in almost 30 years?

I guess we'll never know.

You answered your own question there. It was precisely because Axl, Slash & Duff were back onstage together. Oh, and not forgetting all the hype that went with it! It was a great gig though.

No they don't

They don't what?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Haha, metalheads crack me up, with their weird world views!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Heard something very interesting yesterday from a very good source, apparently MCD were looking at moving the Slane Gig to RDS due to poor ticket sales but the band refused (Lars likes ticking venues off his bucket list) so expect a full on media blast in Feb along with 2 more very strong support bands

Great news support bands so far in my opinion are sh1te need something good added

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

mean gene wrote: »
    Great news support bands so far in my opinion are sh1te need something good added

Each to their own I know and everyone has their own taste but Ghost are far from ****e. The band I'm most looking forward to seeing on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Filling Slane or getting close to filling Slane was always going to be a long shot for Metallica. They never sold out the RDS or Marley Park when they played there when they are arguably a more popular band than they are today. And when you throw in tickets costing €100+, it was always going to be along shot.

Maybe a more 'intimate' Slate experience will be a good thing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Who are the "the trendy Metallica 'fans' that think the Black Album is the bands best"? Is that a thing? It's "cool" to rate the black album so highly?

S.M.B. wrote:
    Who are the "the trendy Metallica 'fans' that think the Black Album is the bands best"? Is that a thing? It's "cool" to rate the black album so highly?

Metallica suck, I'm going to slane to express this fact!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

S.M.B. wrote: »

Why not? it's easy to see personally prefer MoP and RTL but the self-titled is in good company there aside of the 5 singles you have "Of Wolf and Man", "Don't Tread on Me" and "The God That Failed" etc, solid album for sure.

S.M.B. wrote: »

I guess they would be the ones who think Enter Sandman is the **** but when you ask them about some of the deeper cuts on AJFA they kinda give you a blank look.

The Black album is a great record, it also tends to be the only one 50% of the crowd at Metallica gigs these days own or even care about.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Metallica suck, I'm going to slane to express this fact!

Whatever. I'm not one of these elitist pricks who only listens to extreme black metal from Poland and looks down on everyone else, I just think that Metallica could afford to lose some of their trendy fans, we all know the type.

And Ghost are a great band, my case in point.

Whatever. I'm not one of these elitist pricks who only listens to extreme black metal from Poland and looks down on everyone else, I just think that Metallica could afford to lose some of their trendy fans, we all know the type.

Haha, metalheads are too easy!

Haha, metalheads are too easy!

Sad really.

Sad really.

Seriously, lighten the fcuk up, who gives a **** who's going and whos not going to slane, If you're going, just bloody enjoy it, and if you're not, let them who is going enjoy it.

• Advertisement

Seriously, lighten the fcuk up, who gives a **** who's going and whos not going to slane, If you're going, just bloody enjoy it, and if you're not, let them who is going enjoy it.

Oh I couldn't give a toss pal one way or the other just saying it as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Deep cuts from a band with a very limited back catalog good one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I guess they would be the ones who think Enter Sandman is the **** but when you ask them about some of the deeper cuts on AJFA they kinda give you a blank look.

The Black album is a great record, it also tends to be the only one 50% of the crowd at Metallica gigs these days own or even care about.

And Ghost are a great band, my case in point.
    I'm still baffled by the use of the word "trendy" which implies it's somewhat fashionable to like the black album.

The reality is more that the album is simply their most accessible so has attracted fans who have little interest in Metallicas trash roots. That's a very different sentiment in my book.

It also seems like the band are more than happy to please these fans by playing a good chunk of songs from the album on every date.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

As long as people aren't acting the d1ckhead or talking during the concert, I couldn't give a sh1e how much they know about a band, I wouldn't be going around to random groups asking 'What is track 6 on Justice and how long is it?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 anthony777

It's 'Harvester of Sorrow' and it's 5:46. I saw them play it with Newsted in the Top Hat bingo hall and roller rink in Dún Laoghaire in 1988. It was heavy. I used to be obsessed with all the trivia about Metallica. Getting older now, and deaf, I can hardly listen to the albums as the memories they bring back are so much better than what I would call my life and experience now. They were an incredible band, but the whole monolithic corporation they have become to manage with the demand and revenue is just destroying the heart of them I think.

They were a true voice for a dislocated and shunned generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jasonnewsted

After all the years of people talking about the bass missing on AJFA, the entire album with bass is there in the remaster. it's called "and justice for all work in progress 3". It's AJFA with bass, yes the solo is missing on dyres eve, but I actually got goose bumps when the heard the acoustic part in "to live is to die when Jasons bass came in. It's obviously not there on the original. One is an absolute cracker, the drums are like fecin machine guns, blackened is savage.

I've been following this thread just waiting for some one to say "did you hear work in progress 3???" it's AJFA with bass.......................but nobody did

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

After all the years of people talking about the bass missing on AJFA, the entire album with bass is there in the remaster. it's called "and justice for all work in progress 3". It's AJFA with bass, yes the solo is missing on dyres eve, but I actually got goose bumps when the heard the acoustic part in "to live is to die when Jasons bass came in. It's obviously not there on the original. One is an absolute cracker, the drums are like fecin machine guns, blackened is savage.

I've been following this thread just waiting for some one to say "did you hear work in progress 3???" it's AJFA with bass.......................but nobody did

I thought it was called 'And justice for Jason', thats been around for years, IIRC the bass parts were added by someone not connected with the band at all

I thought it was called 'And justice for Jason', thats been around for years, IIRC the bass parts were added by someone not connected with the band at all

Must mean material that's included in the deluxe AJFA remaster?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jasonnewsted

It's in the delux remaster it's the full album with bass minus a solo here and there, before Lars turned the bass down for the final cut...surprised none of you guys picked up on it???

work in progress part 3

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

It's in the delux remaster it's the full album with bass minus a solo here and there, before Lars turned the bass down for the final cut...surprised none of you guys picked up on it???

work in progress part 3

This one?

Advertisement