Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Parkrun..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

We're having a bit of craic, chillax :cool:

Oh, are you? I hadn't noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,122 ✭✭✭plodder

eoinín wrote: »
    Last year HelenAnne and myself were watching the Netflix documentary "Wild Wild Country", about the Rashneesh cult in Oregon in the 1980s. I remarked how interesting it was that that cults often seemed to dress in orange. Helen then asked me where I had been on Saturday and what everyone had been wearing... "Oh just at parkrun! We were all wearing our Apricot t-shirts!"...:D
    I watched that too. They didn't all wear orange. Some of them wore red outfits, so that's one difference. Oh wait ... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

plodder wrote: »
    I watched that too. They didn't all wear orange. Some of them wore red outfits, so that's one difference. Oh wait ... :eek:

Intriguing parallels. So who’s Sheela to PSH’s Osho? And will expansion into the US signal the beginning of the end? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

All one word 'parkrun', oh and lets not forget (for cult status) Saturday is no longer plain old 'Saturday'. Saturday's are now 'parkrun Day' [capital D :p ]

You've been listening to Danny Norman haven't you? :P

Looks like I'm heading down to Offaly on Fri night, have been meaning to give Mount Lucas a go for a while - any handy tips from the locals? What's it like underfoot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

BeardySi wrote: »
    You've been listening to Danny Norman haven't you? :P

Never heard of him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Never heard of him.

The parkrun show was initially a spin off from the Marathon Talk podcast and at some point then became an actual parkrun product. That podcast finished in 2015 due to various reasons, but other than the initial episodes with lots of dodgy singing is still a good listen to get some history of parkrun and its evolution.

http://parkrun.libsyn.com/

Danny Norman was the main person brought in to run the podcast, and he was a very early parkrunner and the one who developed the initial Bushy Park Time Trial branding. Nicola Forward was an early person to be twittering/ facebooking at The Parkrun Show that they then ended up bringing her in to co-present it.

Three years on and Vassos Alexader (off Chris Evans Radio 2 Breakfast Show) and Louise Ayling (who runs the parkrun tourist group on Facebook) were brought together kind of by parkrun HQ to do a semi-offical podcast. Vassos being a little bit clueless about parkrun, but dedicated to promoting it, and Lousie being an uber-tourist. It's a short and sweet podcast, but they do tend to talk quite a lot about ultra running as well as that is what Vassos is mostly into:

http://www.freeweeklytimed.com/

About the same time that the semi official parkrun Free Weekly Timed podcast started up Danny Norman and Nicola Forward got together again and relaunches their own completely unofficial podcast With Me Now. There is a lot of talk about cats, but you'll get a much better understanding of some of the things that make parkrun tick. Danny Norman is no longer an actual parkrun employee, but he does have an ear very close to the powers that be and knows what goes on in the background at parkrun HQ more than Vassos and Louise do on the FWT pod:

https://withmenow.libsyn.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,122 ✭✭✭plodder

Murph_D wrote: »
    Intriguing parallels. So who’s Sheela to PSH’s Osho?
    Wouldn't dare to speculate.
    And will expansion into the US signal the beginning of the end? :D
    I hope not. No parkrun in Oregon yet though ... :(

Cheers. I like that Freeweeklytimed podcast.

Doing lots more cycling and swimming while this stress fracture recovers so that's something to listen to on a cycle.

Haven't ran since New Years Day, I've no pain anymore but still under instruction to give my leg total rest and to almost totally off load the bone. Seems to be working, I've been tempted to go for a short run but with only three more weeks to go there's no point in tempting faith.

Plus I was in terrible pain in the run up to the diagnoses so I'm not in a hurry to experience that again. Thanks for the podcast :D

**Just listening to WithMeNow, excellent too. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

As this is 3 years old, it's probably been posted before, but it made me laugh this morning.

https://vimeo.com/152170600?fbclid=IwAR1OabusJVM_XqR3kPQHZZnsk5qIN2NjDPiWeXEq2Ll8q-HH7NlVCRnJJY4

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Mike1961

muddypaws wrote: »
    As this is 3 years old, it's probably been posted before, but it made me laugh this morning.

https://vimeo.com/152170600?fbclid=IwAR1OabusJVM_XqR3kPQHZZnsk5qIN2NjDPiWeXEq2Ll8q-HH7NlVCRnJJY4

Hah! I've not seen that before. A good laugh:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Did nobody go to parkrun this weekend? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Yeah, a bit windy, but dry and mild enough. Managed to get around without re-injuring my calf. The wife did her 15th straight. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Bananaleaf wrote: »

Maybe everyone is still drying out? Was very wet in Lough Key this morning

Probably my last volunteer role for awhile.

I got the go-ahead from the physio to [gently] return to running. So I walked/jogged 3km with a C25k group (in a mentor role) then ran an easy paced 3km after it, pain free so I'm delighted with myself ~ might celebrate with a new pair of trail shoes :D

I have to say this about volunteering. I've volunteered a few times prior to my stress fracture but I've been sidelined and volunteering now all month and it really gives you a much clearer and bigger insight into what goes on to provide a parkrun every week.

Its hugely rewarding and I can understand why some people do it more regularly, its brilliant craic. It opens up your parkrun circle of friends even further and its interesting to see how the different run directors operate.

I met someone else today who knew me from this thread lol. But the best one was while back when another runner drew level with me and asked "are you from the internet?" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Wottle

Volunteered in Marlay with my wife and 3 girls and got to watch a 13yr old I coach run his first parkrun 18:21.
    Ballyboden st Enda's brought about 70 kids to it.
    Used my phone for scanning, dead handy.
    Weather was ok for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

We actually didn’t. First Saturday since I don’t know when that we had a lie in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭py

Went touring to another parkrun yesterday, thoroughly enjoyed it and volunteers as always make it a great way to spend your Saturday morning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I did St Annes yesterday. I was meant to be taking it easy with the Raheny 5 on today but felt good after the first km so pushed on and got fastest time of the year so far :pac:

small crowd. Only 490 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

small crowd. Only 490 ;)

:D

Well done on the time. Good luck later today

I did St Annes yesterday. I was meant to be taking it easy with the Raheny 5 on today but felt good after the first km so pushed on and got fastest time of the year so far :pac:

small crowd. Only 490 ;)

Best of luck in Raheny. I won't be running, but I'll be cycling down to spectate.

Went out for my first full 5k this morning and dammit only four weeks off my feet and it nearly killed me, not sure about parkrun next Saturday now lol :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Yeah any time off at my age knocks me right back in training. Injuries take much longer to overcome the older I get. Do the parkrun next week if you can. Don't worry about time. It is the habit that is the important part.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭positron

I did - after more than 2 months of not running (almost no running since DCM 2018, chest infection, flu etc) and I felt it too - nearly 5 mins slower than my best run there, and very sore thighs today.

Oldbridge is as slippery as ever in winter - have to get mud running shoes / spikes.

Yeah any time off at my age knocks me right back in training. Injuries take much longer to overcome the older I get. Do the parkrun next week if you can. Don't worry about time. It is the habit that is the important part.

How did you get on today?.

I had a nap after my run (slog) this morning and slept until 3pm so missed everything.

Good. It was a great event as always. I didn't get the time I wanted but had arrived late so got some heavy congestion over the first mile and a half which killed my time. Actually had a faster second 4k than the first 4k which never happens for me

But yeah, great weather, great crowd, great goody bag :)
    It is the one event I do every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Are there pacers everytime in St Annes or did I just get lucky on Saturday? Brilliant set up and love the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Pink11 wrote: »
    Are there pacers everytime in St Annes or did I just get lucky on Saturday? Brilliant set up and love the course.

They are the last Saturday of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Made it to Mount Lucas (only just - missed the start and started just ahead of the tailwalker!)

Lovely run a bit windy, but the weather faeries were good and the rain didn't hit until I was heading back to the car. Absolutely love a 1 lap parkrun, shame here aren't more of them!

Will be in London next Saturday morning, so possibly will do Southwark. Might even make the Pilgrimage if I feel like crossing the city (probably won't cos it would have to be on public transport).

Then back volunteering in Orangefield the following week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Once of things I've noticed most is the lack of use of phones. I don't mean running. Just generally...while the run is on, but particularly going for coffee/tea...nobody is whipping out phones to show you something from the internet. People actually talk to each other. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

aquinn wrote: »
    They are the last Saturday of the month.

Nice one. I wish I got on the park-run bangwagon sooner - it really is fantastic. Usually sat mornings were a LSR on my lonesome. I've timed it the last few weeks to get a parkrun in the middle. Really enjoying my new park-run/LSR routine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Once of things I've noticed most is the lack of use of phones. I don't mean running. Just generally...while the run is on, but particularly going for coffee/tea...nobody is whipping out phones to show you something from the internet. People actually talk to each other. :eek:
    Agreed. I've noticed this any time I go to the cafor post parkrun tea. The phone might come out if someone wants to take a photo or look up something online - maybe a race or run we are discussing. But generally yes now that you mention it, most people are just having a chat and a catch up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement