Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cool Vids&Pics&Links Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

0408_fc76_390.jpeg

You're safe enough with your 50 million in the banksy you tit.

Mod note: Moved from YLYL where there's no chat allowed, and no quoting posts either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

quickbeam wrote: »

How it should've ended by Family Guy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭worded

iHpbA8t.jpg

Did you hear about the gay Jahovah Witnesses ?
    They were knocking on people’s back doors ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

^
    fact-375x215.png

Heckler wrote: »
    You're safe enough with your 50 million in the banksy you tit.

Funny, if that's a Twitter post then it's not The 'Real' Banksy

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109198396&postcount=3394

Pretty sure the bracket is being held up by the RSJ and not the other way around ;)

You can see the bracket isn't bolted to the wall, the RSJ is probably cantilevered at the far end.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

How do you know they haven't super-glued the bracket to the wall? Hmmm? :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

seamus wrote: »

Pretty sure the bracket is being held up by the RSJ and not the other way around ;)

You can see the bracket isn't bolted to the wall, the RSJ is probably cantilevered at the far end.

The RSJ is attached to the bracket with cable ties though (and propped up out of picture). I think the bracket is bolted but with 2 bolts on the side you can't see.

I think the RSJ is too short and that's the penis?

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

seamus wrote: »

I don't think so - the cable ties are under tension - if the bracket wasn't bolted, it would simply pull free of the wall. I imagine it's bolted to the wall on the other side. RSJ is definitely cantilevered though, rather than a case of load bearing cable ties :)

5WWZgIyl.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Where's the funny in the academic posting about publishers taking royalties when responding to a question about what the public misunderstands about a job?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I think it's because it sounded a bit as if she was going to give $35 to whomever emailed her. That, or that the "general public" doesn't usually buy scientific papers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

New Home wrote: »
    or that the "general public" doesn't usually buy scientific papers.
    This is what I guessed too, but wondered if I'd missed something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

osarusan wrote: »
    Where's the funny in the academic posting about publishers taking royalties when responding to a question about what the public misunderstands about a job?
    I think it's because it sounded a bit as if she was going to give $35 to whomever emailed her. That, or that the "general public" doesn't usually buy scientific papers.
    This is what I guessed too, but wondered if I'd missed something else.

Nope, there just is no funny in it. I followed the usual rule of looking for the pen1s, but couldn't find it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Think it was more interesting than funny; assuming what she has written is true, i.e., academics will usually send their papers for free - but not really for this thread I think...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Scientific Publications are seen as parasites because they hide papers behind paywalls and don't filter out enough fake or substandard papers to justify their existence , IMHO.

But you can ask the author of the paper and they'll give it to you gratis. :pac:

Example - You can buy TWO pages for $35.95

But in this case you can't ask the author to email it , because it was published on Christmas eve 24 1859 so should be out of copyright :mad: :mad: :mad:

What a defeatist attitude you have, Capt'n... I bet you haven't even tried.

:pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What a defeatist attitude you have, Capt'n... I bet you haven't even tried.

:pac:
    Well, I dusted down Mr. Bain’s Chemical Telegraph procured an ample supply of both potassium ferrocyanide and ammonium nitrate , putting myself on a few more watch lists in the process, and fired her up. Sparks and spinning wheels. Brass and ozone. It was at that point I realised the fatal flaw. The lack of a connection to a telegraphic network that could withstand the voltages involved.

Alternatives are being investigated as we speak, we may have to resort to manually synchronised swinging pendulums , but no tern will be left unstoned in this quest.

I suggest a ouija board.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Also suited to the WTF thread...

510117.jpg

Did she have twins by any chance? ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

LkWcOBS.jpg
    blackwhite wrote: »
    liambrady.jpg

Thanks for that rebuttal!

Like, if you're going to make up nonsense, at least let it be about

julian-dicks.jpg
    when someone might believe you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057907285/86/#post109209484

Had to check who the heck Marie Kondo is
    @MarieKondo
    Founder of @konmari_co. Author of The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up. Sparking joy in people’s homes and lives.

Fair enough :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,003 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

its-wireless.jpg

Other than the wire and plug coming out of the lamp still tied together!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭Ryath

I had a similar question from two old ladies years ago. Working in a newly opened hotel in the bar that was open to the lobby. Middle of the afternoon the bar was empty when they walk in and start walking around examining the furniture. I walk down to them and they ask where are the price tags for the couches. I'm a bit confused now and they say is this not a furniture shop! Empty bar and there was quite a mish mash of different chairs and sofas but you think they'd have noticed the sugar and condiments on the tables and the big 20 foot long bar with beer taps nearly the full length of it.
    Mr E wrote: »
    1f4gf4k.jpg

Worztron wrote: »
    471157.jpg

Inconceivable!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

What's this about. I'm guessing a TV programme that I've never seen?

2DAY3G4.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

It's from the IT crowd, took me a while to like that show, but that particular episode is one of the funniest things to ever go on tv.

I'd recommend watching Series 3 episode 4, but if not, here's the explanation:

Spoiler: He's dating a girl who told him she was born a man, but he finds out weeks later that she didn't in fact say "I was born in Iran". Seperately, the episode adds fuel to the "Graham Lenihan is transphobic" fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

La Chancla

It is the Latina Mom's version of the wooden spoon basically

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

510807.jpg

Intellectual, and they couldn't spell Aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Mr E wrote: »
    (In before Ken Jeong squinty pic - couldn't find bigger version). :o
    Too big :phttps://i.pinimg.com/originals/70/9b/47/709b4748f2d7201f20c33f435816da8c.jpg

• Advertisement

Gabriel Dawe

It's made with threads.

gabriel-dawe-thread-art-AW3_0081-1024x683.jpg

https://mymodernmet.com/gabriel-dawe-thread-art/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement