Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Small family business...small loads of ?

Options
  • 22-01-2019 3:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all. I am considering starting a small loads business. Thinking that my target market would be land scapers, small builders, and the general public doing diy and gardening. I have lots of questions. If I could get some answers and feedback I would really appreciate it.
    Q1. Do I need planning to sell these products in an open yard that was previously a farm yard.
    Q2. Can I advertise with signage at the property.
    Q3. Can you list the most popular products you think people might want.

If this was to go ahead, I wouldn’t expect to make a fortune but I would hope it could provide for a family. Please give me your pros and cons. Thanks in advance for any advise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

HI Bob,

Firstly have you a quarry of your own or are you buying in the stuff and selling it on.

I have a mate who makes quite a few pound out of his little tipper truck.
    He sells gravel, sand, blocks, topsoil, you name it he finds it and brings it to you at a cost.

He also takes loads to the dump removes furniture, electrical items, all sorts of rubbish as well.

All he has is an add in the local papers and word of mouth, never being idle.

He has deals with most of the suppliers in the area that allows him a few quid on all he sells.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

If you are transporting anything that can be categorised as waste you need to get a waste collection permit- the site is www.nwcpo.ie.

If you don't and are stopped by a council (and they do random checkpoints in junction with customs for the diesel) you may be liable for a hefty fine and to be deemed not to be a "fit and proper person" under the waste management legislation. This would prevent you from ever moving waste again. If you store any commercial waste, you would also need a waste facility permit from your own council.

Topsoil from a development site can be categorised as waste (even though it clearly has a use) so make sure to acquaint yourself with all the issues.

Advertisement