Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leicester v Ulster match thread

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

troyzer wrote: »
    Didn't get to watch the game but a lot of the chatter on other websites seems to be that Rory Best was appalling.

True or?

Very poor throwing in to lineout. very poor. Scrum went well - won at least one penalty. He didn't make any of his usual turnovers but had a couple of carries that were markedly better than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭stl.ire

Didn't get to watch the game but a lot of the chatter on other websites seems to be that Rory Best was appalling.

True or?

False. Played the full 80 as Herring had to sub for Reidy in the back row. Put himself around a lot and was his usual brilliant self in the ruck. Ulsters line out was poor but it’s been fairly terrible all season. Best will get criticism for that but anyone who judges his performance on that one feature wasn’t paying attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Lineouts can be fixed and sounds more like a problem with Ulster on the day rather than something that will carry into camp next week.

I thought he was very poor against Argentina and was wondering if it was a similar performance, thankfully it's not.

Lineouts can be fixed and sounds more like a problem with Ulster on the day rather than something that will carry into camp next week.

I thought he was very poor against Argentina and was wondering if it was a similar performance, thankfully it's not.

Off the back of today's performances, you should be much more worried about Murray.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Off the back of today's performances, you should be much more worried about Murray.

I thought he was okay but he doesn't seem to be his spectacular best.

It also looks like his running game has gone. I don't know if it's just me reading too much into or he's protecting his neck but there were a few occasions today where he had quick ball and a gap but went for the pass whereas before he would have backed himself and went for the snipe.

• Advertisement

I thought he was okay but he doesn't seem to be his spectacular best.

It also looks like his running game has gone. I don't know if it's just me reading too much into or he's protecting his neck but there were a few occasions today where he had quick ball and a gap but went for the pass whereas before he would have backed himself and went for the snipe.

Thought he was poor. Not appalling either, but pretty poor. He seemed a bit hesitant. He normally looks effortless - this afternoon you could see the cogs turning as he weighed up options.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The lineout was a bit wonky in the first half. One crooked throw which obviously was down to Best and two others where the whole lineout malfunctioned.

It was much better in the second half.

Personally I thought Best was overall good. He's had better games. To describe him as appallingly is bull***t though.

I don't get the negativity about today anyway. We were away from home in Europe to a Premiership club with a very proud tradition. The idea that it was going to be anything but a really really tight game is nonsense.

We aren't that good!

If Munster or Leinster had dug out a win like that a few years back they'd be fecking heroes.

Ulster are not at the same level that those two are now. We just aren't going to go somewhere like Welford Rd and win by 20 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I feel like Best is the new Rob Kearney for the media/certain fan groups. He can put in a decent performance, and will still be attacked saying he was terrible, because he hasn't put in a man of the match performance.

His darts are a little bit wobbly yes. But the Ulster lineout as a whole has been fairly brutal at times, even when it was Herring throwing in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

bilston wrote: »
    The lineout was a bit wonky in the first half. One crooked throw which obviously was down to Best and two others where the whole lineout malfunctioned.

It was much better in the second half.

Personally I thought Best was overall good. He's had better games. To describe him as appallingly is bull***t though.

I don't get the negativity about today anyway. We were away from home in Europe to a Premiership club with a very proud tradition. The idea that it was going to be anything but a really really tight game is nonsense.

We aren't that good!

If Munster or Leinster had dug out a win like that a few years back they'd be fecking heroes.

Ulster are not at the same level that those two are now. We just aren't going to go somewhere like Welford Rd and win by 20 points.
    It's remarkable that Ulster were able to win away. Has been a problem for a long time, but although it was a poor start, the belief to keep going and get back in the game was fantastic.

I feel like Best is the new Rob Kearney for the media/certain fan groups. He can put in a decent performance, and will still be attacked saying he was terrible, because he hasn't put in a man of the match performance.

His darts are a little bit wobbly yes. But the Ulster lineout as a whole has been fairly brutal at times, even when it was Herring throwing in.

It's been that way with Best for years. We confidently told that he would never be as good as Flannery, that Strauss was better and would leapfrog him, that Cronin was better and would leapfrog him, that Scannell was better and would leapfrog him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

It's been that way with Best for years. We confidently told that he would never be as good as Flannery, that Strauss was better and would leapfrog him, that Cronin was better and would leapfrog him, that Scannell was better and would leapfrog him.
    I still have hopes for Scannell. Injuries have stalled his progression, but he had the basics at an early stage plus all the other facets required of a modern hooker. I always think the hooker gets unfair criticism at times because failings elsewhere in the lineout often get blamed on the hooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Dylbag

Anyone have any idea what happened Coetzee? If he’s out Ulster’s season could be a lot different

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Dylbag wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea what happened Coetzee? If he’s out Ulster’s season could be a lot different

Looked like his hamstring. He tried to play on for a few minutes and didn't look too bad. But the decision was obviously not to risk given we were probably going to qualify irrespective of the result. Fingers crossed it's nothing serious. We have 2 or 3 week gap after Benetton next weekend so hopefully that covers any period out

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

bilston wrote: »
    Looked like his hamstring. He tried to play on for a few minutes and didn't look too bad. But the decision was obviously not to risk given we were probably going to qualify irrespective of the result. Fingers crossed it's nothing serious. We have 2 or 3 week gap after Benetton next weekend so hopefully that covers any period out

He looked fairly pissed off to be taken off, was giving out while Timoney was running on, as if he didn't understand why he was being pulled. Which is a good sign I guess.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

We'll really need Coetzee in the next two months because we'll lose Murphy, and I feel we need to have at least one of Murphy or Coetzee playing to really have a back row worth talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Didn’t get to see the game, but would have thought that dogging it out away from home. Coming from behind to win, should be viewed as a real positive? It’s not something I’d have expected Ulster to do over the last few seasons.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

stephen_n wrote: »
    Didn’t get to see the game, but would have thought that dogging it out away from home. Coming from behind to win, should be viewed as a real positive? It’s not something I’d have expected Ulster to do over the last few seasons.

Yes definitely a big positive. Leicester left numerous chances behind them, and really we could have been dead and buried, but it was two great scores from us after a good effort.

Advertisement