Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda vetting: Dismissed prosecution?

Options
  • 10-01-2019 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

am being garda vetted and three years ago I got arrested for shop lifting (stupid I know) but the case got thrown out. Will it appear on the form?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I think this would be better in the legal forum.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

am being garda vetted and three years ago I got arrested for shop lifting (stupid I know) but the case got thrown out. Will it appear on the form?

If it's for a Job or GAA/Soccer coach, it will.

The details will not be revealed to the person who is seeking the vetting.

However, if you have not specifically listed this on your vetting form, when submitting, the response will come back with a note on it that there is a record, but not something that should prevent you from being in the presence of children (for example).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »

However, if you have not specifically listed this on your vetting form, when submitting, the response will come back with a note on it that there is a record, but not something that should prevent you from being in the presence of children (for example).

Thats very interesting - even if the case was thrown out?

So someone completely innocent of any crime has a criminal record just for being arrested?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Mod note:

OP I'm going to move this to the Legal Discussion forum as I think your question is better suited there.

All posters should note that the Legal Discussion charter now applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,143 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »

....... wrote: »
    Thats very interesting - even if the case was thrown out?

So someone completely innocent of any crime has a criminal record just for being arrested?

Garda vetting returns more than just convictions. It also includes specified information relating to harm of children or vulnerable people where relevant. i dont see how it would return a prosecution for shoplifting.

https://vetting.garda.ie/VettingProcedure/SpecifiedInformation

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

LD Mod
    Amended title for clarity

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Azizur Rahman

Vetting won't show your prosecution getting thrown out. It only shows convictions and anything relating to allegations of harm against children.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

....... wrote: »

As far as i'm aware the Gardai will have a record of it forever for operational reasons (this makes sense depending on the crime), it won't show up in vetting.
    You'll have to declare it on Visa applications as well even though it was dismissed. I'm not sure how much of your data the state shares with foreigh countries but getting caught not telling the truth on an American visa for example could get you barred from travelling there for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

IIRC anything which is to be included on the vetting application is notified to the applicant first, who has a set period of time in which to respond on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

@Seamus, that's only for specified information. Normal disclosures are given to the organisation first and then the applicant should be consulted to make sure it is them and they are aware of the charges.

• Advertisement
Advertisement