Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shazam! (DC Comics - Zachary Levi)

• 21-07-2018 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭

New DCEU (Batman v Superman, Man of Steel, Justice League etc) Film
    Comic Con trailer:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That's a fun trailer. Not very DC at all. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That looked quite playful and fun; silly not not too adolescent. Could be a winner, but if this cost 100+ million dollars, it'll bomb. Can't see it dragging all and sundry, but if the budget's OK a decent box office could make it a success.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

That actually looks like it could be fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

So I'm guessing they are ditching the Captain Marvel name due to Marvel''s Captain Marvel ? Or is there specific rights issues ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

McLoughlin wrote: »
    So I'm guessing they are ditching the Captain Marvel name due to Marvel''s Captain Marvel ? Or is there specific rights issues ?
    DC did it a while ago, since they bought the rights to Fawcett comics in 70s after Marvel copyrighted the name for their hero, they've never been allowed to promote the character with the name Captain Marvel, just have other characters refer to him in the comic as Captain Marvel. Eventually they just gave up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

I like Levi, and if pitched right this could be alot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

This is surprisingly refreshing from the DCEU - I actually have high hopes for this one based on the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

As previously stated this looks like a lot of fun. I hope they don't try to connect it too much to the other films.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I was completely unaware of this until today, looks decent, I'm definitely interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭stormthecastle

has a bit of a "Big" feel about it - kid suddenly becomes adult etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Looks like fun and I like Zachary Levi, so I'm on board.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Trailer looks like fun. I have never seen Shazam that much in the comics or on TV. But seeing this in the cinema will be a nice experience. I hope it will be good when it comes it out in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Man of Steel and Batman V Superman was good IMO and this is what I was expecting from Shazam so am looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

He doesnt look as bad as the set pictures first appeared! So thats a plus!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Smertrius

dc didn't create shazam they brought from whiz comics in 1953

so i got super power so i can get drunk and drink brooze

this is smart kid not dum kid

plus his friend freddy is taping him, if someone steals the video his superhero identity is out the window

nobody cares this not shazam

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Smertrius

shazam movie is crap compare to shazam movies from its trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 84,913 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

has a bit of a "Big" feel about it - kid suddenly becomes adult etc.

It needs a Zoltar machine cameo :P

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    It needs a Zoltar machine cameo :P

Or Shazam saving Tom Hanks from a falling Zoltar machine

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

This looks so much fun! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Maybe ... just maybe.

No, no. Bad pixelburp. Aquaman burned me and was definitely my "that's it, I'm out" moment. Unless this reviews well DC are not getting my money anymore.

Pffft. I enjoyed Aquaman. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Interesting release date, in Between marvel and endgame.

They better hope marvel doesn’t have a black panther run or it might take a chunk out of its takings.

Why not do it end of January or start of February? I don’t see anything obvious that would affect it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I like Zachery Levi. Had good comedic touch in Chuck. I must admit, this did make me smile and I am looking forward to it.
    My only concern would be with the tone. As long as the serious elements don't clash tonally with the lighter elements. They need to know which audience they are going for.

An cautionary tale in this regards is "Chappie". Advertised as an update on "Short Circuit": Cute robot malfunctioning and discovering what it is to be human..... And there were portions of that. Then suddenly extreme violence and nasty tonal shift. I mean, I have no problem with violence, bad language etc but it was a shock how the tone shifted......Plus it didn't help that the main two humans were extremely unlikable and annoying.

So, keep it light. Don't do a typical DC thing where they have Mark Strong come in and brutally kill his parents only for Batfleck to come in and say "Grrrrr-Now you are a TRUE hero-grrrrrr. By the way, your mom wasn't called Martha, was she? And here are three other generic gloomy CGI bad guys and two more generic gloomy CGI good guys who need a movie spinoff.... OK get grim and FIGHT!!!!"

Mr E wrote: »
    Pffft. I enjoyed Aquaman. :o

Hey, going by the box offices I'm obviously not expressing a majority opinion here, but at the end of the day the only real metric Hollywood understand is feet through the (metaphorical) turn-styles.

No more than if I'm not enjoying a TV series I'll back off, I won't keep rewarding a poor franchise with my ill gotten gains.

We're allowed to like different things, PB. :)

Full trailer 2:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just realised this is releasing close to Captain Marvel, which is funny considering Shazam was also Captain Marvel.

So is Mark Strong going to use his yellow ring in this? :)

I'm sure this will be a case of all fun and games until the bad guy gets serious and Billy realises he has to cop himself on and act responsibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

That last scene! :D

• Advertisement

Get him Batman!!

That toy sounds like Kevin Conroy, is it?
    And does he finally get a big screen credit, as Batman?

Advertisement